walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Out on my *rse (Part 2) - facing down Death on the Aonachs

Out on my *rse (Part 2) - facing down Death on the Aonachs

Postby Graeme D » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr

Date walked: 16/09/2017

Time taken: 7.2 hours

Distance: 15.4 km

Ascent: 1420m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The title of this report was originally going to be "A wet and wild affair up the Aonachs" but then I realised that in the very unlikely event that my wife should ever read it, I could find myself brought in to face a stern line of questioning about how I had chosen to spend my 24 hour hill pass during my enforced eviction! :lol:

I had grabbed a bite to eat in Fort William after the drive from Cruban Beag (God, I love Fort Bill on a Friday night! :lol: ) and spent the night at Poldubh at the end of the Glen Nevis road. Rather quieter than Fort Bill High Street! :lol:

The forecast predicted an improving picture into the afternoon of the Saturday, so I took my time in the morning, not setting off until after 9.15. The parking area was already rammed by that time, with a mixture of newly arrived cars and others that like mine had been parked up there overnight.......and a black sheep who seemed completely oblivious to human activities. :shock:

I set off past the cheery sign warning of the potential for death on the path through the gorge and a large and rather colourful toadstool. I had taken a wander a short distance back along the road before breakfast to stretch my legs and take care of, how shall I put it, some early morning business, and had noticed the interesting artwork on the back of a road sign - someone giving two fingers to the Danger of Death sign perhaps??? :lol:

IMG_7050_zpssvktbidb.JPG
I laugh in the face of Death!

IMG_7051_zpsngcjf7qi.JPG
So does he by the look of him!

IMG_7049_zpshi3qd7ep.JPG
Omelette if you think you're hard enough????

IMG_7052_zps4pii8ohu.JPG
Go on, do your worst!

It had been a few years since I had diced with death on this path before a brilliant day with Kev and Darren on the Ring of Steall. For all the cars at the end of the road, I had the place to myself.... for now.

IMG_7056_zpsry6ikbwm.JPG
You're going to have to try harder than this Death!

IMG_7057_zpsckhwtikg.JPG
I am spared to see the Steall Falls once again!

As I emerged onto the Steall Flats and got that first glimpse of the falls, I could see a number of tents dotted about and a few folks getting organised for whatever they had planned.

IMG_7061_zps6dzynuho.JPG
Hill race marker or final resting place of someone who never made it?

IMG_7064_zpsxua8yqzd.JPG
Steall Falls

I kept left at the fork, declining the opportunity for another death defying bounce on the wire bridge and headed instead onto new territory for me and the path to the ruins at Steall.

IMG_7066_zpsja5ek2tl.JPG
Sgurr a'Bhuic

IMG_7067_zpsqpywx5mi.JPG
Bridge next to the ruins

I stopped for a quick snack at the ruins but also to stick waterproofs on as a fine drizzle was now looking like settling in for the ascent of Sgurr a'Bhuic. I met an elderly but sprightly looking woman descending Sgurr a'Bhuic with her dog. "In for a wet one up there today!" she declared. Thanks! I wonder if she laughs in the face of death too???? :lol:

IMG_7068_zps8hxltyyy.JPG
The Ring of Steall

The going soon became rockier and easier and I was soon at the wonderfully perched summit of Sgurr a'Bhuic looking out over upper Glen Nevis and the rear end of the Grey Corries.

IMG_7070_zpsi5dhrpge.JPG
Back down the south west spur of Sgurr a'Bhuic towards Meall Cumhann

IMG_7072_zpsy2hxhani.JPG
Sgurr Choinnich Beag from the summit of Sgurr a'Bhuic

I dropped steeply down to the col at the foot of Stob Coire Bhealaich, from where it is possible to bear north east to Sgurr Coinnich Beag and onwards to the Grey Corries, before climbing steeply up above some vicious looking sheer cliffs towards Stob Coire Bealaich.

IMG_7073_zpsezuxeolq.JPG
Sgurr a 'Bhuic looking very shapely from the north

IMG_7075_zps3zf05wqw.JPG
Cliffs dropping down into the Killiechonate "Forest"

IMG_7076_zpsyp6hveqf.JPG
Low cloud loitering in Glen Nevis

IMG_7077_zps7tkhz1vg.JPG
Sgurr a'Mhuic and the Ring of Steall from the ascent of Stob Coire Bhealaich

IMG_7078_zpsj9lcnwqr.JPG
Very scary looking cliffs! Sudden inevitable Death awaits!

A little navigational faux-pas then led me astray and cost me 15 minutes or so. The good path that I was on continued contouring due west and I missed the more indistinct path that climbed north west towards the Munro summit. It didn't take me too long to figure out that something wasn't quite right before I turned and retraced my steps, picking up the less than obvious grassy path north west.

IMG_7079_zpsc1ufx0jp.JPG
The path becomes clearer again

IMG_7081_zps6fs2nrqd.JPG
Stob Coire Bhealaich

IMG_7082_zpsptkihtqr.JPG
Aonach Beag from Stob Coire Bhealaich

IMG_7086_zpsiy1lmpeb.JPG
Looking back down on Stob Coire Bhealaich

IMG_7087_zpsqixznzw8.JPG
The cliffs of An Aghaidh Gharbh

IMG_7088_zpsgqjde8uv.JPG
This is meant to be the approach to the summit of Aonach Beag - looks more like the scene of a lunar landing to me!

IMG_7089_zpsf3mn4t3o.JPG
Summit of Aonach Beag

I didn't linger unduly at the summit of Aonach Beag - it looked like the moon and felt even more Baltic than I imagine the moon would be! I quickly headed north to pick up the gap in the crags that would lead down to the long bealach giving access to the long, steady, terraced south ridge of Aonach Mor.

IMG_7090_zpsv9gw7wbf.JPG
Mor from Beag

IMG_7091_zpsflhmvzkv.JPG
Aonach Mor

It was at this point that I met my first human being since the Death defying old woman above the Steall ruins. A couple coming from Aonach Mor (they had come up on the Gondola - sounds like a Death trap if you ask me!) informed me that I was about to experience the best views of the day from the bealach down into Coire Giubhsachan. They weren't kidding! :D

IMG_7093_zpspsebwkmf.JPG
The view down Coire Giubhsachan towards Sgurr a'Mhaim and the almost insignificant Meall Cumhann

I stopped off here for a late lunch in the relative shelter and nearly choked on my hard boiled egg! FFS Death!!!!! Give it a rest will you!!!!!!?????? :evil:

IMG_7094_zpsklv9bekr.JPG
The long south ridge of Aonach Mor- well named!

IMG_7096_zpsrbfdv2es.JPG
Summit of Aonach Mor - Death 0, Graeme 2 :wink:

Once again, I didn't outstay my welcome, and quickly headed back to the bealach from where I knew a lot of work still lay ahead of me before I could once again stare Death in the eyes on the path through the Nevis Gorge! :lol:

IMG_7098_zpswibgdjle.JPG
Aonach Beag from the descent off Aonach Mor

IMG_7099_zpsyapzkk2r.JPG
Aonach Beag from the bealach

IMG_7101_zpsb2zeghh1.JPG
Ben Nevis and the CMD arête from the drop into Coire Giubhsachan

IMG_7102_zpsjbewhmis.JPG
Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg

IMG_7105_zpsldoywem8.JPG
Allt Coire Giubhsachan lead me home and deliver me from Death!

The walk down through the coire to the bridge by the ruins was a mega-bogfest but that did not detract one iota from the sheer beauty of the place and the enjoyment of walking through it. The Allt Coire Giubhsachan is an absolute beast of a river for one so small and seemingly insignificant. It takes it in turns to pour over waterfalls, down huge flat, sloping slabs of rock, through gentle, deep, meandering sections, and repeat.......... 8)

IMG_7108_zpszi0z0d8d.JPG
The Allt Coire Giubhsacahan with the Ring of Steall framing the shot in the background

IMG_7109_zpsedfnnd3c.JPG
Upstream towards my descent route from the bealach

IMG_7110_zps1s9rgyzd.JPG
Slabby section

IMG_7111_zpsdvfwcpnp.JPG
Slow, meandering section

The pointy end of the long south west spur of Aonach Beag

Small waterfall

Huge waterfall - nice try Death, but not even close!

From the bridge by the ruins I made my way back downstream along the Water of Nevis past a bunch of guys with tripods set up across from the Falls of Steall (a couple of them looked peeved that I dared to walk in front of their obviously delayed timer cameras!) to the Death defying path above the gorge.

I had had the path to myself some 7 hours earlier - now it was like Princes Street on Christmas Eve! They were coming in droves towards me - families with 2.4 children and an assorted number of dogs both on and off the lead, serious looking dudes with tripods, foreign couples in flip flops and other forms of unsuitable footwear - you name it! All dicing with Death on the path above the Nevis Gorge! :lol:

Back at the car, I gave the two fingers to the Death sign and jumped in for the drive home to tell my wife about my Death defying day (as opposed to my Wet and Wild Affair up the Aonachs!) :wink:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Out on my *rse (Part 2) - facing down Death on the Aonac

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 pm

That looks like a great approach to these hills, with the double bonus of missing out on all the ski lift gubbins. Some great images of a wild part of the highlands.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Coop » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Funnily enough I followed that good path off as well and ended up taking a bearing straight up the hill rather than go back and then up.
Saw almost zip that day on these 2, so cheers for the view pics.
Got a good view of them from the Grey Corries though
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:23 am

Scarrrrry stuff! But this is definitely the better way up the Aonachs - the Glen Nevis side is much more interesting.

We had a near death experience on these two, too! And on the very same route. It was early spring, but still full winter conditions up there. Having bagged both Munros we discovered we couldn't drop to Coire Giubhsachan due to unstable ground, slushy patches of snow, very slippery grass, etc. Just not a good descent route in winter conditions! We had to return over Aonach Beag and we only had 2 hrs of daylight left. It was a wacky race but we won with 20 minutes to spare :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby montie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Nice approach, nice descent but awfy wet ....nice :lol: :lol:
montie
Munro compleatist

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:18 pm

So glad you were willing to outface death to post these photos - a great read :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mrssanta » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:31 pm

I enjoyed reading that. Thinking of taking my mother up there - well maybe just to Steall falls that's all
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 am

Enjoyed that - having approached these hills from the north, this looks a good route. Couldn't seem to get the photos to load when I tried the other day but fine now - I see you're using photobucket so wondered if you had to pay their subscription to get access to linking photos ? - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Your bravery knows no bounds. Great read and a good route.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:32 pm

rockhopper wrote:Enjoyed that - having approached these hills from the north, this looks a good route. Couldn't seem to get the photos to load when I tried the other day but fine now - I see you're using photobucket so wondered if you had to pay their subscription to get access to linking photos ? - cheers :)

As a long standing Pishbucket customer, I have a period of grace until the end of 2018 to find some alternative way of linking my photos to my 327,438 trip reports before having to pay Pishbucket £3,296,543 for the privilege of having them do it. :problem:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Well told tale with photos to match. So glad you survived as we'd have missed your reports! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland