walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lucky grab on Elidir Fawr and the Cwm Marchlyn horseshoe

Lucky grab on Elidir Fawr and the Cwm Marchlyn horseshoe

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd y Filiast (Glyders), Elidir Fawr

Date walked: 27/08/2017

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 710m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hewitts: Elidir Fawr, Carnedd y Filiast.
Date: 27/08/2017.
Distance: 9km.
Ascent: 710m.
Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes.
Weather: Sunny, breezy.

My first full day back in Wales, and I'd spent the morning catching up with a friend in Conwy. After a late lunch, he had to go and mow the grass or some other mundane task, and I suddenly had time on my hands (and my dad's car - can never be bothered to drive mine all the way down from Inverness). The weather was good, so after calling in at Bethesda for some last minute shopping, I drove up through Mynydd Llandegai and round to the road-head above Dinorwig.

Elidir.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There is actually a tarmac road all the way up to 630m here to access the top lake of the Elidir pumped-storage hydro electric scheme (a distant cousin of the one under Ben Cruachan), but it has a locked gate on it at about 365m. Still, a handy high starting point which allows easy access to some high summits. One of the closest hill starting points to Anglesey as well, so this circuit featured often when time was short or conditions were poor.

Elidir Fach from the reservoir road

No such poor conditions today. After a speedy start up the tarmac road, I soon cut onto the grassy slopes of Elidir Fach. This was an easy dry ascent leading to the plateau-like area to the NW of the main Elidir Fawr summit ridge. Great views all around.

SW corner of Anglesey

Towards Moel Wynion and NE tip of Anglesey

Llyn Marchlyn Mawr from Elidir Fach

Elidir Fawr from Elidir Fach

Elidir Fawr summit cone

Due to the pumped storage scheme and the sheer amount of slate quarrying on the Llanberis face of the mountain, Elidir Fawr isn't particularly highly regarded among the Welsh 3000ers. It still has a great summit ridge and some interesting crags though (as well as great views of the Cwm Glas face of Snowdon/Crib y Ddysgl), and this route takes in the best of it.

Crib Goch and Snowdon

West to Moel Eilio and Nantlle hills

Crib Goch and Crib y Ddysgl. Moel Hebog to the right

The summit was a mere hour from the car, so I carried on further in search of somewhere to have a break. Passing a couple of fellrunners, I wandered along the grassy but narrow ridge behind Llyn Marchlyn Mawr, from where good views to Ogwen and Tryfan begin to appear.

Summit of Elidir Fawr

West from the summit

Llyn Marchlyn Bach

Both lakes from Elidir

Tryfan and Glyder Fach over Foel Goch

Llyn Marchlyn Mawr and Mynydd Perfedd

Carnedd Dafydd and Pen yr Ole Wen

It's an easy grassy ascent onto Mynydd Perfedd, which is another grassy plateau. One of the best features of this (and the twin summit of Carnedd y Filiast) is Atlantic Slab, a perfectly angled cliff face dropping off into Nant Ffrancon.

Crib Goch from Mynydd Perfedd

Tryfan and Llyn Ogwen

Pen yr Ole Wen

Atlantic Slab on Carnedd y Filiast

West

Atlantic Slab again

Nant Ffrancon from Carnedd y Ffiliast

After a short break on the summit of Carnedd y Filiast, I descended to the north, before picking up a good path which led SW back to the Dam road.

Elidir Fawr and the Marchlyn dam

Llyn Marchlyn Bach

A short and easy circuit, and after spending so much time in Scotland, unbelievably dry underfoot - I went round in trainers and didn't encounter a single bit of bog!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Lucky grab on Elidir Fawr and the Cwm Marchlyn horseshoe

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:08 pm

Superb set of images that really capture the essence of this area. And as folk were saying last weekend: all in such a concentrated area.

I think I might be falling in love with Snowdonia all over again...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jacob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:35 pm

I will be taking the mrs to Snowdonia in 5 weeks time, my fourth time, her first. I can't wait to show her this area that I enjoyed so much.
Your reports feed my anticipatory pleasure. Cheers for that, great pictures and the one with the sheep in it is simply brilliant.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:31 am

Did that exact route on this years week in Wales (apart from a detour to bag Foel Goch) It's a fine walk and looks particularly great in that lovely evening light.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks for reminding me how good a summit Elidir Fawr is. That looks like a great way to climb it, far better than the loooooonnnngggg slope from Nant Peris that is the only way I've done it (on Welsh 3000 walks)

Atlantic Slab is truly remarkable, and I recommend anyone with either a little climbing ability, or a friend who has, to climb it. Its not really harder than most scrambles, just goes on and on and on at a very amenable angle in a wonderful location. Due to having a slight convex nature, you really feel you are detached from the earth below.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby montie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Great photaes. Looks awesome
montie
Munro compleatist

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland