walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Valley of the vultures without vultures

Valley of the vultures without vultures

Postby apollo0815 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 am

Date walked: 28/05/2017

Time taken: 5

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my trip to Scotland, I had to work for two long weeks :D , before going on another vacation, this time to Austria,
in special the Raurisertal one valley east of the Grossglockner area.

On our first day we went to have a little walk in the "valley of the vultures" . Bearded vultures have been reestablished here as one of many projects in the National Park "Hohe Tauern". Sadly we have not seen any of them, or to be exact, I saw several quite large birds far off, circling. If they were Bearded vultures? I don't know:)

Here is our route as a up and back again path.

After ascending 200m the first views along the valley open up.

A first waterfall, here you can see why this is good country for birds of prey, there is a rocky ledge all along the valley edge.

One view up and down the valley.

Having a break after the first few hundred metres in height. Showing Lena, our younger dog where she should look, doesn't work that well, obviously.

Sparky, our now 15 year old male, still going strong( but always happy about a break)

Lena admiring the view.

Fueling up the dogs at the next available stream

Directly below the waterfall. IN May and start of June, there is still a lot of snow above, so the streams are well filled.

Having a break at the Bräualm, a few hundred metres above the level of Ben Nevis, and still so much mountain left, all around us.

The View from where I was sitting.

We met a local farmer here, who told us about one of his horses which dropped down that corrie during a thunderstorm. He had to scramble up there, to break open the carcass, to make it easier for the vultures and other predators, They needed about a week to get rid of the carcass( about 60 vultures live here)

Our own predators running around
quite fast

Lena, for some reason loves doing somersaults, afterwards rubbing her back on any meadow she finds.
In this case...
....she was doing it in the middle of some cow muck, shown by the nice green-brownish colour on her back:)
She got a thorough wash in the nearby glacier stream afterwards.

Further on, the views open up verynicely, the weather being lovely.

The view ahead into the mountains. Still snowy up there.

Some lovely Iris around.

Close up of the valley end, we just went a little higher, being at around 1800-1900m at that point. The mountains around are up to 3000 m high.

View BAck along the valley.

The reward after walking back to the start of the valley:)

apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Re: Valley of the vultures without vultures

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Nice place!

Shame you didn't get to see the vultures closely, though I'd bet the distant circling birds could have been them. I was lucky to get very close to some in the Gorges du Tarn this summer, though its a strange feeling walking around in a place where if you fall and break a leg, the birds will be looking at you as potential lunch.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby apollo0815 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 pm

I have been to the Gorges du Verdon just two weeks ago,
There I saw a large population of vultures and eagles, interestingly from above( from one of the many viewpoints), which made it hard to get pictures, because the camera was always focussing on all the landscape :)
That gets you images ike this:
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 pm

beautiful place, beautiful weather, beautiful pics.

Real pity you didn't see a bearded vulture - that's a pretty seriously rare bird. They seem generally to be on the shy side. There were meant to be quite a few around in the Alborz in Iran when I was there in the 70s, but although I saw many other wonderful birds, I never did see a bearded vulture.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby apollo0815 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 am

Thanks, alteknacker, this is to be continued, whenever I find the time. And time is scarce:)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 am

apollo0815 wrote:I have been to the Gorges du Verdon just two weeks ago,
There I saw a large population of vultures and eagles, interestingly from above( from one of the many viewpoints), which made it hard to get pictures, because the camera was always focussing on all the landscape :)
That gets you images ike this:

Excellent.

I stick the DSLR in "Sport" mode as it makes it focus only in the very middle of the frame, and speeds up the shutter. Its only a 135mm zoom, but that's good enough if you're close enough.

On the Tarn, there's a path just below the top level of cliffs, but high in the gorge, and this gets you to the same level as the birds.

Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby apollo0815 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 am

You are right, maybe I was just to stunned of the rest of the scenery.

to think properly about the capabilities of my Camera. The Sony A 58 even does up to 8 shots per second in sportsmode, Only drawback: With the 300 mm lens this drains the battery quite fast :)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland