walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nae path fae Mullach

Nae path fae Mullach

Postby dektasker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 am

Route description: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Date walked: 19/09/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 785m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did this on Tuesday (19/09/2017) and followed the route as described in Walkhighlands. That is the third option "descend southwest down the Druim nam Bo ridge. Skirt round the north side of Lochan nam Bo before continuing southwest." I thought this would be a very scenic walk down "a well-engineered old path, somewhat overgrown zigzags down northwest, crossing the Allt nam Bo before plunging down amidst the magnificent Scots pines of Upper Glen Feshie"

The added bonus is passing the Ruigh Aiteachain bothy. (This refurbishment is looking very good and someone working on the exterior did say it might be finished in a few weeks). I have thought about staying at the bothy and completing Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mor.

While there is a fairly decent path till you get to Creag na Gaibhre and from here south west is now completely overgrown. No well engineered and slightly overgrown path. I met another walkhighland walker called Harris who was more than a little bit upset. Harris and his wife had thought to do the route in reverse as it looked less steep than Coire Caol. It was a very hard slog through the heather, boulders and other steep obstacles.

The good news for Harris (this was his route down) and other walkers is the path up Coire Caol is excellent and though a bit steep, one of the best paths I have walked up to a Munro.

I did wonder why you have to now sign a disclaimer when you download a gpx from the walkhighland site. Suppose things change and it is hard to keep all the routes up to date. If you are planning on doing this route, then stay clear of the south west walk off. It will be trickier than you plan.
dektasker

Munros:271   Corbetts:2

Re: Nae path fae Mullach

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I think that route might be known locally/historically as the Fox Pass? I ascended this way last time on Mullach Clach a Blair and yeah, the clue is in the name! Think many will eschew this, in favour of the motorway through Coire Caol, hence it becoming overgrown (given the time of year, it's unlikely to get any more overgrown than it is now) and I seem to remember some of the lower sections being quite rutted. I'd use it again though, in either direction, and am likely to be up there in November and shall endeavour to do my bit in reinstating it. Perhaps the lengthy closure of the bothy has also contributed to a reduction in traffic via this route.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby jmarkb » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 pm

I recall having some difficulty finding the start in ascent, and that was quite a few years ago. I vaguely remember following a rough vehicle track from near the bothy, which didn't quite join up with the line of the path.

Recent reports on this site and others do suggest the path is still there, but indeed overgrown. I think the problem is that once you get into the deep heather, it is very hard to re-find it once you lose it, as it can be invisible from only a few yards away.

BoyVertiginous wrote: I think that route might be known locally/historically as the Fox Pass?

You are maybe thinking of the Foxhunter's Path which is the one from Achlean up on to Carn Ban Mor.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Coop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Not sure which general said it, but.

"Conditions on the ground will dictate the battle and all my good plans may go out the window when we land " :wink:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:28 am

One of my favourite paths into the hills :) ...have used this path often over the years...it is the only real hillwalkers way up to Mullach Clach a Bhlair and beyond. Descend if you may down the estate road to peek into Coire Garbhlach but....the stalkers path is the way up. :)
Talk of troops in the previous Post maybe some of the 1000's of WH folks could go by way of the path? Use it or lose it. :)
DSC01792 (640x360).jpg
This summer when up the Glen.

Starts just 50 metres or so above the RA toilet block when heading up the Glen.
Image is when looking down the path to where the start is just after the big dog-leg in the path.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:16 am

We've actually rewalked this route to update it in the last year and the path does exist, though as gaffr says it could do with more use. The description does say that the easy option is to retrace your steps.

I did wonder why you have to now sign a disclaimer when you download a gpx from the walkhighland site.

Not specific to this route, this page was added a few months ago at the request of Police Scotland, to try to further emphasise the message that people need to know how to navigate and read a map themselves to go hillwalking.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby rodderss » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Did this walk on Saturday.

The description of the return route in the circular walk.

Well engineered and slightly overgrown. :clap:

severely overgrown, narrow , slippy and completely disappears in a jungle at one point when traversing through the woodland.

At that point my wife threw a wobbler and cut straight down to the path that could be seen well below,
Now that was interesting, almost vertical at one point, you had to slide down holding on to the roots of heather.

Thought I had lost the dog , she never goes far from me but she disappeared in the undergrowth it was so overgrown :lol:

Saying that makes it a much better day out than just going back the land rover track..much laughter and banter whilst everyone fell on backsides numerous times.and the views of glenfeshie are breathtaking on this way down.

Use it or lose it gaffr :clap: it's well lost :lol:
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby gaffr » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:26 pm

It is a grand old stalkers path. The zig zags from .737 are in good order then a bit of Contouring across to the fine wee bridge over the nam Bo stream. After crossing, parallel to the stream, the path is good however after the sharp turn towards the coniferous trees it begins to fade .....then maybe 350 metres on the contour where the path is under the heather to pick up the path again...sharp left down arriving close to RA bothy.
Maybe we should suggest that all the folks that are so keen on multiple ascents of the Munros are encouraged to do Mullach both up and down on this treasured wee path. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland