walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Monadhliath Bog with a camp and a double ton.

The Monadhliath Bog with a camp and a double ton.

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 13/09/2017

Time taken: 24 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We finished our circuit of Creag Meagaidh in mid-afternoon and had a wee tea break in a short burst of sunshine - encountering the only midge of the week sheltered behind a tree! Would we be able to do the Lochaber Traverse or not? Sadly the forecast was for rain, cloud and wind, so we decided to ditch that idea for now and come back to it on a better week.
So now we are on Plan E I think.

monadhliath 3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Why did we choose to do the Monadhliath Munros? I have done my research and I knew it was boggy, but the attraction of a sweet line of blue balloons north of Glen Spean/Spey where before there had been only red was too much to miss. Also it was on the way to the in-laws' house in Deeside. And we've walked in Scotland all our lives, what could be so bad???? even after a prolonged wet spell?
We drove to Glen Banchor and set off about 5pm planning to walk for about two hours and find a camping place in Gleann Ballach before it got dark.
P9132077.jpg
Glen Banchor

P9132079.jpg
ruined house

Glen Banchor was lovely and it was a pleasant evening when we set off, not cold, not raining though overcast. The track a short way up the glen and up the East bank of the Allt Fionndrigh is good going and takes you nicely to the footbridge across the allt.
P9132080.jpg
up this glen

P9132081.jpg
this is lovely

P9132082.jpg
the bridge wobbles when you walk on it but seems quite safe

From there a path sets off up across the bealach to lead into Glen Ballach. this is where the bog starts in earnest.
There are ATV tracks across the bealach which are easily followed but extremely wet and we were glad to reach the burn in Gleann Ballach and find a small flattish, green area right by the water's edge.
P9132084.jpg
Camp. Very nice, and almost flat.

We managed to get a brew on and make our tea before the rain started but we ate it inside the tent and went to bed shortly after that.
In the morning it was clear when we got up. I spotted what I thought was a helicopter a distance away but when it flapped its wings it became apparent it was an eagle!
The weather looked like it was quite promising with a shaft of sunlight on Carn Dearg as we ate our breakfast but sadly this was not to last.
P9142087.jpg
sunlight on Carn Dearg

once we reached the bealach north of Carn Dearg it was pretty windy and we were careful not to go too near the edge when approaching the summit cairn, which is perched right on the edge of the cliff!
P9142089.jpg
a lovely rainbow

P9142090.jpg
The bog we crossed yesterday evening

P9142091.jpg
a very pretty toadstool that appeared just as I needed a breather

P9142093.jpg
not sure what this pose is about, but that is the top of Carn Dearg

P9142094.jpg
and another

From Carn Dearg you retrace your steps a bit to the bealach then go over 5 - or 6 - or is it 7 featureless lumps over 8km to reach Carn Sgulain. For nearly all of this way there is a line of fence posts which is very helpful and fortunately once we turned eastwards from Carn Ban the lashing wind and rain was mostly from behind. To be honest at the beginning it was fairly stony but as we got further east it got more and more boggy. It was too cold to stop really so we kept going on handfuls of trail mix and jelly babies. As we went on we got occasional glimpses of A'Chailleach
P9142095.jpg
somewhere on the top

P9142097.jpg
some featureless bumps. I'm sure on a glorious day this would be superb. but not superb enough for me to want to come back.

P9142099.jpg
lochan at 651054

P9142103.jpg
One of the magnificent bogs

P9142104.jpg
Hurrah we made it at last!

P9142106.jpg
celebrating being alive, not realising it was my 200

The top of Carn Sgulain is the first cairn but we went to both to be sure as neither of us has any intention of climbing this hill again. Although technically not difficult the last 8km had been psychologically very hard.
And to add to the irony, this was my 200th Munro, although I didn't realise it until I updated my balloons!!
To get to a'Chailleach you have to retrace your steps a bit and then cross some more bog and by this time we were just splashing through stuff. You have to be a bit careful on the hags not to step on the smooth flat bits where you could lose a body, but by some miracle we managed to avoid any of these. Poles are handy for this too as you can poke the bog to find out if it is just a bit of peat or moss suspended in water or has a bit of substance to it. It's the lime green moss you really have to watch out for!!
P9142107.jpg
you could hide a body in ponds like this

P9142108.jpg
and an unexpectedly bright lump of quartzite sticking out of the bog

There was a brief respite from the wind and rain and the sun almost came out when we stopped by the burn Allt Cuil na Caillich for a belated lunch. By this time I was at the stage of only really tolerating Jelly Babies.
It's a funny thing, I used to be quite astounded at people who said they could not eat when out on the hills. Now I find myself in a similar position; sometimes I cannot manage anything except sweeties. Any hints and tips on this gratefully received.
Actually the rest did us good and it was not long before we were at the summit of A'Chailleach and all that remained was to get back to the car.
P9142109.jpg
can I go home now please?

P9142110.jpg
Made it!

We took the path south westish towards the bealach with Geal Charn and picked up the ATV track which more or less follows the burn down Coire Dubh. The track was very wet so it was easier to splash about in the grass round about it, and it does come and go a bit as well. However we reached the burn at the bottom of the hill, forded it carefully - although my feet were sodden already I didn't want any sudden rush of cold water to them! and picked up the equally boggy path on the other side. We were extremely grateful to reach the track at 691013 which took us the last mile back to the car.
P9142114.jpg
One more river to cross

After that we stopped at Joe's chippy in Kingussie (highly recommended, you can sit in as well!) before the drive over the Lecht to the in-laws and a soft, warm bed.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: The Monadhliath Bog with a camp and a double ton.

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Well, congrats on the double ton! Pity it had to be under such "mixed" conditions! I really admire your determination and fortitude in persisting when it's somewhat dreich. It reminded me why I work hard to avoid this kind of weather - although I know that often it looks a lot worse in pics than it is as actually experienced on the day.

BTW : Your mention of plans to do the Lochaber Traverse caused me to look it up, because I'd never heard of it. It turns out I unknowingly did it, albeit as a round, starting and ending in Glen Nevis. Duuuhhh!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks Alteknacker. It was pretty awful weather but we are all dry warm and rested now and it doesn't seem to be so bad in retrospect!
anyway we are ready for another foray into the equinoxial gales next week!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Congratulations on the big 200! As for hiding bodies in bogs, remind me not to walk with you any time soon! :shock: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:42 am

Congratulations on the DBL ton,only three behind me now
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Well done on your 200 - especially in the recent non-conducive-to-walking-in-hills weather. :? :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby robertphillips » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 pm

well done on reaching 200 guys :clap: :clap: good walk this 1. :)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby mrssanta » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Graeme D wrote:Congratulations on the big 200! As for hiding bodies in bogs, remind me not to walk with you any time soon! :shock: :lol:

Oh its OK we haven't needed to use that facility yet.....
gammy leg walker wrote:Congratulations on the DBL ton,only three behind me now

Thanks Gammy, you'd better get cracking!
dogplodder wrote:Well done on your 200 - especially in the recent non-conducive-to-walking-in-hills weather. :? :D

Thank you. It's getting a bit wearing seeing nothing at all!
robertphillips wrote:well done on reaching 200 guys :clap: :clap: good walk this 1. :)

Thanks Robert. We'll never catch you up though!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland