walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

os maps

os maps

Postby islayhawk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Looking to upgrade my gps. After years of using my etrex (yellow basic) I have decided to ugrade to one with os maps but absolutey no disgrace to the basic garmin which has been fantastic.
My question is - when using the 1:50k os map on a garmin does the map lose much resolution when zooming in and also what basic model capable of taking os map of scotland would readers recommend
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Re: os maps

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:25 am

Afraid I can't answer your question directly as I don't have OS maps on my gps. I have an older model etrex a few up from the yellow one (vista) which takes maps. However, I've never seen the point of having OS maps loaded as the screen is so small - better to look at a paper map. Instead I loaded contour maps (normal version is free) from talkytoaster which can be zoomed in - I'm not sure but I don't think the OS maps zoom in on the gps but others may know better and OS maps for gps can be quite expensive esp as you can only see a small section on a gps compared to a paper map - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby china88 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:39 am

I agree with rockyhopper

I use talkytoaster maps. The issue with OS maps on the GPS is that the map is a scanned image as you zoom in below a certain resolution the map starts to blur etc

I use the Etrex 30 never let me down but I don't use it to calculate a route, I use the compass for that and use the Etrex to preload a track (a passive line following my route) o I am going on and refer to the track if my compass skills need checking
china88
Munro compleatist

Postby petelynn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:09 am

I've got an old Garmin Montana 600 with full 1:50k OS Maps. You can certainly zoom in so the map is 2x linear scale compared to the paper maps without losing significant sharpness but you do then only see a small bit of map. I do find it useful when looking for a path or other feature - but the contours and crags are the useful bits when free ranging.

In terms of the usual argument about dedicated GPS versus Phone with mapping I definitely come down on the side of dedicated GPS. For one thing the screen is sunlight readable, in fact really clear in direct sunlight and the battery is longer lasting and easier to conserve. The penalty is the extra weight - mine is a whopping 780g. This year, wild camping in South Uist I ditched the GPS because of weight. The only time I decided I needed to check where I was (in cloud on top of Beinn Mhor) I had to turn my IPhone up to full brightness to see it and the battery went from 40% to nothing in 15 minutes!
petelynn
Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:11   

Postby petelynn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:37 am

Whoops! That should have read 280g!
petelynn
Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:11   

Postby ea51ron » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm

I also have a Garmin Montana 600 with full 1:50k OS maps. I think it's brilliant - it bounces, it's fully waterproof and it's easy to read in full sun (whenever that happens!). I also use OS maps in ViewRanger on an Android phone which is great and I've never had a problem with it in the rain. Battery life is not a problem on the android.
I do carry maps and compass, I prefer the Harvey maps, but occasionally I have been known to leave my maps on the kitchen table and managed the walks with just the electronics.
ea51ron
Mountaineer

Munros:146   
Hewitts:2

Postby jolly47roger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:01 pm

There are other maps around that are a combination of OS Opendata and Open Street Map. Try a Google search for 'Garmin os opendata'.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby IanHG3 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:28 am

Hi
Sorry if this isn't relevant to you, but on my phone I use a free app called Backcountry Navigator which allows free downloads of all OS maps for the country as well as others worldwide. There is a version you can pay for but the free one does everything I want. Zooming in automatically switches between 1:50000 and 1:25000. I actually use this app just as a reserve (ie when lost!) , using paper maps printed out from osmaps on the ordnance survey website, which costs less than £20 per year.
IanHG3
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk