walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carrying my hoose around the Lakes

Carrying my hoose around the Lakes

Postby Jaxter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Catstyecam, Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Great Rigg, Hart Crag, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Catstyecam, Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Great Rigg, Hart Crag, Helvellyn, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Date walked: 15/09/2017

Time taken: 11.15

Distance: 29.83 km

Ascent: 2211m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Although I’d spent a lot of time in the Lake District growing up, it had been about 8 years since I’d been back. Let’s face it, with the whole of the Scottish Highlands on my doorstep I’d never really consider going South to the crowds. However, the start of my parents week in the Lakes coincided with the school’s September holiday (plus managing to sneak Friday off) so a long weekend South of the border seemed a plan….watching the forecast during the week the weather even appeared to be playing ball 8)

Horrendously disorganised and massively sleep deprived I set off on Friday morning and had an easy drive South. Despite the usual pang at crossing the border (although I’m never quite sure where it is when going South, no “Welcome to England” sign :( ) as I drove through the Lakes it was a glorious morning and I was looking forward to revisiting some old friends :thumbup:

Ullswater

I arrived at Glenridding and shouldered my huge pack. Trying not to think about the car parking charge on my return, I crossed the bridge and set off up the road. I made my way through the maze of paths, past the campsite and along the Glenridding Beck (not burns down here :shock: ) before crossing a bridge and climbing up towards the path up the glen.

This path led me onto what could only be described as a motorway…

This led me past the Youth Hostel and past the mine workings. I crossed the bridge over some impressive water features

The good path then led up the glen alongside the Beck

I met a few folk along here; some stopped for a blether and all thought I was crazy :D After a while the path started climbing more steeply upwards and my huge pack was slowing me down. As I came round the cliffs the path towards Catsyecam appeared. I met a couple here who had come down Swirral Edge, the unknown quantity of the day and said that I would be fine. Although I’d been up Striding Edge as a child, Swirral had been outlawed :lol:

Red Tarn with Helvellyn and Striding Edge behind

As I neared the top of Catstyecam I bumped into a couple of guys and chatted to them on the way up. They turned out to be part of a larger group of people from the Over the Hill Walking Group based in Leicestershire. They were excellent company and as it turned out were heading the same direction as I was.

Looking down from the top of Catstyecam

Red Tarn and Striding Edge

Swirral Edge leading to Helvellyn

Looking over St Sunday Crag towards High Street and High Raise

Skiddaw and Blencathra

We left the summit of Catstyecam and headed along the ridge. Red Tarn was sparkling in the sunshine and it was shaping out to be an amazing day 8)

Soon enough we reached Swirral Edge. Being me, obviously taking the “pussy path” wasn’t an option and I headed up the crest.

An easier section

I really noticed the extra weight when scrambling :lol: But there wasn’t anything difficult or even particularly exposed. Halfway along the weather had a Tourettes moment and the rain arrived. Waterproofs on I continued.

Looking back downwards

From here it was a short stroll to the summit of Helvellyn. There were so many people here it was like Sauchiehall Street on a Saturday. I know Helvellyn is a popular hill but you wouldn’t see this many people even on Ben Nevis :shock:

Unable to get any peace and quiet, we stopped for a sandwich and a few photos. Looking down towards Ullswater

Fairfield and Cofa Pike

We left the large flat summit of Helvellyn and followed the obvious path along to Nethermost Pike, over High Crags and lastly to Dollwagon Pike. The rain was on and off along here and the visibility wasn’t great.

Looking back towards Helvellyn with Striding Edge

The Langdale Pikes and Coniston Old Man

An impressive panorama

The distinctive shape of Fairfield and Cofa Pike

The descent down to Grisedale Tarn was steep and had those rocky steps that are designed for people with longer legs than me. But it was probably better than the eroded alternative :wink:

Seat Sandal

Reaching the tarn, some people decided they’d had enough (they promised it wasn’t the weird Scottish lassie scaring them aff :lol: ) and headed down the glen. The rest of the group continued around the tarn to head up Seat Sandal.

Grisedale Tarn with Seat Sandal behind

Looking down Grisedale

The climb up Seat Sandal was steep and initially quite eroded making it interesting for the numpty who was carrying their hoose… :roll:

As we reached the top there was another shower. This was where I would part company with my new friends as it was to be my home for the night. They all headed off, debating whether they would take in St Sunday Crag on their way home and I waited out the rain before finding somewhere to pitch my tent.

The weather improved soon enough….

And a few metres off the summit I found a nice flat spot which seemed to be sheltered enough for the night.

Domestic duties sorted, I decided to have a wander around with the camera. Looking down the ridge of Seat Sandal that led down to Grasmere I got an excellent view out to the Scafell range

The Helvellyn range

Grasmere itself. I did consider running down to see if the Grasmere Gingerbread Shop was still open. But figured I’d be too late. And I was lazy :lol:

Windermere

Pointy Bowfell and the Scafell Hills

Great Gable and Pillar

Great Gable

Pillar

The Buttermere Fells and Grisedale Pike

Skiddaw

Wetherlam and Wet Side Edge

Great Gable and Pillar with Easedale Tarn in the foreground

Summit pose

Fairfield and St Sunday Crag

St Sunday Crag

Grasmere and Coniston Water

Grasmere, Coniston Water and Wetherlam

Looking down the Glen, ominous clouds on the way

Grisedale Pike and friends

Not a bad camp spot

The sun is still out 8)

A wee sit down, cup of tea and a book with a view

The light started to go, setting the scene for an excellent sunset…

Until it started raining….initially only gently with a rainbow…

And then it got heavier and heavier. I got my waterproofs on and tried to shelter the camera from the torrential rain….

I failed…but I think the rain droplets on the camera are kind of atmospheric :lol:

Eventually I gave up and crawled back into my tent. Warm and dry again and safe from the elements was where I stayed for the rest of the evening as the rain relentlessly fell from the sky to the point where I was wondering how much of a lake my tent would survive sitting in :shock: At last the rain stopped….and was replaced by wind…. :shock: I didn’t get a lot of sleep but safe to say that tent will survive pretty much anything :lol:

Helvellyn Day 1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The next morning I wasn’t in much of a rush as I wasn’t due to meet the parents in Langdale until after 4. I had a leisurely breakfast, read some more of my book and packed up my things.

Morning mist

The Crinkle Crags

Skiddaw and Thirlmere

Grasmere

I walked back over the summit of Seat Sandal and met a group of people already there :shock: No chance of having my hill to myself today either :lol: I made my way carefully down the steep path before setting off up Fairfield. This had looked pretty steep but it was a good path and my legs felt rested even if the rest of me didn’t :lol:

Down the glen

Four men with their dogs; I thought this looked like an album cover :lol:

Great Rigg – part of the Fairfield round from Grasmere; apparently I’d been up that way as a child!

Reaching the top of Fairfield I was fortunately early enough that there weren’t too many people there yet. The Helvellyn range was looking stunning from this angle

Jaxter pose on Fairfield 8)

Windermere

I didn’t want to start heading down just yet so decided to go for a wander. I headed towards Great Rigg which gave a nice view over towards Hart Crag and Dove Crag

Rydal Fell from Great Rigg

As the day continued I started meeting more and more people. I wandered back up to Fairfield and decided to wander out towards the crags. It was worth it for the view towards Helvellyn from this angle

Scrubby Crag from Hart Crag

I think this is the Buttermere Hills

Wetherlam and pals

High Stile and Fleetwith Pike

Is this Scafell?

As I walked back to Fairfield from Hart Crag I met a group of cyclists. I say cyclists, they were carrying their bikes :lol: But as I arrived at the summit of Fairfield they rode off down towards Great Rigg where they said they could ride all the way down :shock:

Fairfield was now very very busy and after a few photos I decided it was time to get outta there :shock:

The Eastern side of Fairfield is pretty impressive…

It was a wee bit hands on as I descended towards Cofa Pike

Helvellyn

Fairfield crags again

Grisedale Tarn

Cofa Pike was more exciting than I remembered it being but that’s probably because I scrambled right over the top this time :lol:

Looking back to Cofa Pike

I started the climb up St Sunday Crag and bumped into more people, some of whom where friendly. Looking back to Grisedale Tarn

Fairfield from St Sunday Crag

Arriving at the top I walked into a party in full swing as hunners of people were bantering away. Always up for a laugh I joined in, happy for abuse to be hurled my way :lol:

Bowfell

Striding Edge

People on Striding Edge

Hunners of people of Helvellyn

Helvellyn and Striding Edge

It was finally time to head down. The rain was forecast at about 3ish anyway so I made my way along the ridge.

Ullswater

There were some steep sections and I met some people heading up who were having a tougher time of it than me on the way down :lol:

Looking back to St Sunday Crag

I continued along the ridge and decided to go up and over Birks, because why now…. :lol: The steep descent after it was less fun, and it started to rain so I had to put my waterproofs back on.

Deciding that walking back via Lanty’s Tarn would be nicer than the road, I headed for the bridge and then a very tired uphill :lol:

Back at the car, boots off felt amazing! After sorting my stuff I decided to wander around to the shop where I treated myself to an ice cream before the drive to Langdale for a shower, an actual bed, and a home cooked meal :D 8)

The welcoming Langdale Pikes

Fairfield Day 2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The next day
Last edited by Jaxter on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Carrying my hoose around the Lakes

Postby Skyelines » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Jaxter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Sneaking across the border, eh? Hope you remembered your passport...

Lovely part of the Lakes that, though you'll rarely be alone. Great looking place to camp though, really special.

I think your "Is this Scafell?" is probably Pillar.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Nice round :D . This was more the sort of scale of walk I had in mind when I stopped off with my parents in the lakes a week or so earlier - weather soon put the lid on that though :lol: .

Surprised you had been banned from Swirral Edge as a kid - I would've thought that Striding Edge was the more dangerous, marginally at least.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Sneaking across the border, eh? Hope you remembered your passport...

Lovely part of the Lakes that, though you'll rarely be alone. Great looking place to camp though, really special.

I think your "Is this Scafell?" is probably Pillar.

Haha aye a wee border raid.... :lol: I think being up there overnight is the only way to ever be alone up there! Lovely spot though.
I'll trust you on Pillar - it was zoomed so I've no point of reference. doh! :wink:

malky_c wrote:Nice round :D . This was more the sort of scale of walk I had in mind when I stopped off with my parents in the lakes a week or so earlier - weather soon put the lid on that though :lol: .

Surprised you had been banned from Swirral Edge as a kid - I would've thought that Striding Edge was the more dangerous, marginally at least.

Ach the weather eh....should have done your sun dance :lol: 8) It's hard to judge as it was so long ago I did Striding Edge but I thought Swirral felt easier than what I remembered of Striding. That being said I've been to Skye in between :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:01 am

Enjoyed this and you got some nice weather for it. :clap:

Yeah, the pic is defo Pillar.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:59 am

At least you enter England and Cumbria together - at Coldstream there's a weird gap where you're in England but apparently not in Northumberland yet!

I had the summit of Helvellyn to myself, but it was about 8pm on a June evening after a very wet day which had dried up about 5. And I've got a photo somewhere of similar hunners of people on Ben Lomond :)
I know what you mean, but I'm always surprised how easy it is to get places to yourself in the lakes just by doing something slightly different (or staying out after 5pm!)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby trailmasher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Nice read, and well done on great walks and photos :clap: :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Broggy1 wrote:Enjoyed this and you got some nice weather for it. :clap:

Yeah, the pic is defo Pillar.

Aye it was pretty decent weather other than the storm overnight :lol:
Pillar it is....looks like a good hill 8)

nigheandonn wrote:At least you enter England and Cumbria together - at Coldstream there's a weird gap where you're in England but apparently not in Northumberland yet!

I had the summit of Helvellyn to myself, but it was about 8pm on a June evening after a very wet day which had dried up about 5. And I've got a photo somewhere of similar hunners of people on Ben Lomond :)
I know what you mean, but I'm always surprised how easy it is to get places to yourself in the lakes just by doing something slightly different (or staying out after 5pm!)

Weird....no man's land :shock:
Ha aye popular/easy hills are going to be busy...unless you're there at a weird time :lol: I found the same thing on Skye in the summer - mad busy in the popular spots but you don't have to go very far off the beaten track to be completely alone 8)

trailmasher wrote:Nice read, and well done on great walks and photos :clap: :clap:

Thanks - I'm loving the new supercamera :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland