walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High pressure above Kintail and Loch Hourn

High pressure above Kintail and Loch Hourn

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:16 am

Route description: Beinn na h-Eaglaise and Beinn nan Caorach

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na h-Eaglaise, Beinn nan Caorach, Sgùrr an Airgid, Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Date walked: 18/09/2017

Time taken: 13.6 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 2700m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

High pressure forecast for early in the week so booked two days leave. Up very early on the Monday morning – rain up Loch Lomond side wasn’t promising but it cleared up beyond Crianlarich.

Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich – Monday morning

Parked in the car park beside the camp site at Shiel Bridge and set off down the track beside the Allt Undalain just before 0900hrs.

Go to Loch Coire nan Crogachan which had a surface like glass. Cut across the eastern end of the loch and set off up the hillside.

Being watched

A bit cloudy at the top but dry and clear enough – looking towards Beinn Sgritheall

The sisters

Some blue sky

The deer keds had been annoying on the way up – similarly on the way down. Not great numbers but enough to require ongoing brushing of arms, head and face to get rid of them. Took the more direct route back down – more or less eastwards then NE below 250m to rejoin the main track to get back to the car.

Sgùrr an Airgid – Monday afternoon

Short drive round and parked in the car park beside the ruins of St Dubhthac's Church and cemetery. Crossed the road, through the gate then NE up the path towards Beinn Bhuide.

Saw a bird soaring high above Morvich before it off flew off southwards. After some deliberation and thanks to some contributors on the Wildlife sightings forum, came to the conclusion that it was a juvenile golden eagle – extreme zoom and poor quality of the photos didn’t help.

Stayed with the path until branching off to head west to the summit – skirted round/through some boggy/peat hag sections then on to the top. At this point, I realised that I’d been using an 800asa all day so far from the last time I’d used the camera - not required due to the light level so switched it back to a lower setting.

Rum and Skye

Kintail

It wasn’t as sunny as forecast but no complaints as it was dry and bright. Hung around at the top for a wee while before heading back down the same way.

Drove round to Glenelg – view toward the sisters from the side of the road.

Then down to find a picnic spot just north of Arnside to camp for the night. The sun was now showing an appearance. Tried some different settings on the camera for some shots.

Pitched the tent and made some dinner while watching the sun get lower and then set. Unfortunately the wind had dropped completely and the midges appeared.

Beinn nan Caorach & Beinn na h-Eaglaise – Tuesday morning

Up early, had breakfast then drove to the car park just before Corran. Set off about 0600hrs with the headtorch – initially back up the road then eastwards along the track which goes round the back of Glenfield cottage and up Glen Arnisdale. Turned north just before the bridge over the River Arnisdale, across some grassland, over another bridge and northwards to get to the zizgzag stalkers’ path.

Waterfall

Higher up there were some reasonable views back towards Loch Hourn.

Brocken spectre

Across Loch Hourn again

There was some light cloud and mist as I arrived at the summit of Beinn nan Caorach so I hung around for a while until it cleared.

Set off north down the slope above Coire Dhruim nam Bò

Beinn na h-Eaglaise and Beinn Sgritheall

Stag party

Round above the corrie then on towards Beinn na h-Eaglaise

Straight up the ridge to the summit

Stopped for a break at the top before starting to head down southwards. Was in two minds about whether to take the direct route or go down over Beinn Bhuidhe.

Arnisdale

Decided on the more direct route and set off steeply downwards close by the Allt a’Bhile.

This took a bit longer than I’d expected and wasn’t at all sure it ended up a shorter route than going down over Beinn Bhuidhe.

The car park was a bit busier when I got back to it. Stopped briefly for a last photo before continuing on back to Glasgow.

Last edited by rockhopper on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: High pressure above Kintail and Loch Hourn

Postby Borderhugh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:48 am

Been wanting to do those corbetts in Loch Hourn for a while now.

Some stunning photies there RH! :clap:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:51 pm

You certainly made the most of the high pressure. I like your style :clap: :D
Stunning area
SAVAGEALICE

Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby ancancha » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:48 pm

You got some great photos rockhopper, so must have been an enjoyable walk 8)
Never easy to get a sharp focus wildlife shot :?
Still, an eagles and eagle :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Great photos all round, but particularly the ones around Arnisdale 8)
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Looked a fantastic trip and photo's are breathtaking.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Cracking wee TR and set of photos RH! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:27 pm

:D Cheers all :D

ancancha wrote:Never easy to get a sharp focus wildlife shot :? Still, an eagles and eagle :clap:
It seems odd but I find myself looking upwards a lot more often these days than I ever used to and seeing a lot more - still find it difficult to get the camera out in time though :roll:
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ancancha » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 pm

rockhopper wrote::D Cheers all :D

ancancha wrote:Never easy to get a sharp focus wildlife shot :? Still, an eagles and eagle :clap:
It seems odd but I find myself looking upwards a lot more often these days than I ever used to and seeing a lot more - still find it difficult to get the camera out in time though :roll:

Same here rockhopper. Hoping to get a shot, even a look at my first bonafide eagle :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland