walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Border Bashing Attempt at Cauldcleuch Head

First Border Bashing Attempt at Cauldcleuch Head

Postby iangpark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cauldcleuch Head

Donalds included on this walk: Cauldcleuch Head

Date walked: 02/10/2017

Time taken: 2.17 hours

Distance: 8.65 km

Ascent: 480m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After being told we would be having a uni. trip to Langholm, I thought it would be a nice idea to visit one of the more 'remote' (and notoriously dull apparently) Donalds, Cauldcleuch Head. It would bag one of the two outliers that a few Donaldists find difficulty with - living in Dumfries does have some upsides!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jack picked us up and took the Annan road to Langholm where we had a great invasive non-native species presentation from the Galloway Fisheries Trust. We were free by about 1:30pm so made our way over to Billhope.

Into the Borders:
1 - BORDER SIGN.jpg

Bridge at Parking Space:
2 - START BRIDGE.jpg

Followed the Tilhill forestry path in until we reached the faint crossroads. I suggested to take the right fork as it looked a bit more defined and would put us on a better path. As the path ended, we decided the best way up was along the flanks of Pennygant Hill rather than North Mid Hill - (This was actually a great decision as the way up was less steep and less boggy!)

Iain on the flanks:
3 - IAIN.jpg

Jack looking over to Tudhope Hill:
4 - JACK LOOKING OVER TO TUDHOPE HILL.jpg

The going was steep but soon levelled off a bit. We never went properly onto the ridge, instead just curving around the edge. Very mossy and peaty ground but much less tussocks than expected!

First view of summit:
5 - FIRST LOOK AT SUMMIT.jpg

Curving round:
6 - CURVING ROUND.jpg

About 2 minutes from the summit, there was some light rain but it only persisted for a few minutes. It was properly windy, as expected. We were right at the edge of an advancing front, but it seemed to retreat after the small shower. Tudhope Hill appeared higher than Cauldcleuch Head for the great majority of the walk - only at the 600m mark or so did it start to look smaller.

Edge of front:
7 - EDGE OF FRONT.jpg

Only summit over 2000ft for almost 15 miles around!:
8 - METAL TRIG.jpg

Jack at top:
9 - JACK AT TOP.jpg

South-West from summit:
10 - WEST FROM SUMMIT.jpg

Looking back:
11 - BACK TO 2000ft.jpg

We decided the best way down would be North Mid Hill as it was short but steep and didn't require curving the whole way back along with some reascent. It was much boggier than the way up though.

Back down:
12 - BACK DOWN.jpg

Sunlit Billhope Burn:
13 - SUNLIT BILLHOPE BURN.jpg

We took the other path that follows the burn back to the fork in the path and enjoyed a peaceful and sunny walk back to the car. Jack gave me a shot of his Clio back to the A Road as I have just got insurance for my girlfriend's car and he wanted to see how I fared - I'm choosing old bangers over a new hatchback any day! Pleasant drive back along the picturesque (but very precarious!) road and then back to Dumfries.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: First Border Bashing Attempt at Cauldcleuch Head

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 pm

You just about followed the route that I took, am surprised it wasn't boggier higher up. I confessed at the time it wasn't one of my favourite hills and not one I will be revisiting :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby iangpark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:You just about followed the route that I took, am surprised it wasn't boggier higher up. I confessed at the time it wasn't one of my favourite hills and not one I will be revisiting :(

Aye Martin I had expected quite a bit more bog - I was wearing wellies so was well-set regardless! I can understand the amount of extra time it must have taken you just to get to Billhope :clap:
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby PeteR » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm

I quite enjoyed this hill, as I remember. If you had wanted to add to the bog factor you could have included a trek to Greatmoor Hill :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby iangpark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:44 pm

PeteR wrote:I quite enjoyed this hill, as I remember. If you had wanted to add to the bog factor you could have included a trek to Greatmoor Hill :lol:

Was tempting Pete but that weather didn't hold for long! Hopefully some more bog to come with the rest of the Donalds :)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Not a bad day for it all in all. My penultimate Donald - unlike others, I quite enjoyed it although I did cycle the first part (for a change) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby iangpark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:05 pm

rockhopper wrote:Not a bad day for it all in all. My penultimate Donald - unlike others, I quite enjoyed it although I did cycle the first part (for a change) - cheers :)

Your report did inspire some confidence in me RH - glad I was able to share somewhat good weather on that hill as you did! I can imagine the cycle up the path would be a lot of fun - especially if one were to go from the road to Billhope!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland