walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach Mind the Gap

Braeriach Mind the Gap

Postby Coop » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 06/10/2017

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1200m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked at the sugarbowl car park and headed across the road and onto the path leading up to the reindeer pen. The path skirts around this heading for the Chalamain gap.

Path leads into the gap and then it's up to you to get across the boulders. I tried to stay a little high to the left and got up to the cairn ok. Then another section of boulders leads out to a good path and it's down and across The Lairig Ghru.
I was talking to a group from down south and realised I'd missed the path heading up so doubled back about 100 metres and started heading up.
Great day, great views do far. Good path, steps in places
White with frost on top and freezing; and the cloud was low all around but hung about for 20 minutes. A couple had came up from Whitewell so we chatted for a bit- and the gloves went on.
Then the cloud and clag moved all of a sudden .
Boy did it open up. Fantastic views all round the corries and summits, down to the lochan and over to Ben Macdui.
Lots of pictures and a decision.
Do I go round to Angels Peak and come back. No, I was enjoying today and savouring it. No need to rush anywhere- I'll come back sometime.
Headed back down the way I'd come up. Had a look across and it was like march of the ants heading to Macdui.
I'd counted 7 on Braeriach today ( including me).

And so it was back through the gap again and a nice walk out

Weatherman/woman got it right. Freezing and cloudy but the cloud should clear around midday.

Fantastic views from Braeriach. Cap doffed.

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland