walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Munro Newbie Hiking Partners?

Munro Newbie Hiking Partners?

Postby janetcanning » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:09 am

Hello,
Hoping to go up Ben Lomond and another similar or slightly more challenging Munro next summer and usually it's a good idea to not go it alone. Looking for maybe a hiking club or group that goes to Loch Lomond park or any recommends on trail hikes guided for next summer.

Just got back from Skye and did some hill climbing there, but the island was packed and difficult to get to Munros as no public transit.
janetcanning
Mountaineer

Re: Munro Newbie Hiking Partners?

Postby KatTai » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:17 pm

You are unlike to be alone doing Ben Lomond, especially in the summer it is a very busy place! I do know that there were guided walks up Mayar and Driesh during the Angus Glens Walking festival this year so they may do it again next year (it is at the beginning of June). As an aside, I've done all my Munro's solo (unless you count the dogs) :wink:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Coop » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 pm

The Glasgow hillwalking club goes out quite regularly. Sign up online with them and you'll get emails of when and where they're going. There's 2 different groups within the same group. ( if you know what I mean).
One group recently has been doing more northerly Munros whereas the other one seems to focus on the southern ones and Corbetts.
I've only been out once with them before and had a good day. ( due to having already climbed the ones they were going to or the day conflicted with me not being available).
You won't be alone on Ben Lomond as said earlier ( unless you go at 2 in the morning).
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby hutchy1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Book a bed for the WH meet at Lagan loads of experienced friendly folk to join in with and a good laugh
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:20
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby MichelleHamilton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:06 am

janetcanning wrote:Hello,
Hoping to go up Ben Lomond and another similar or slightly more challenging Munro next summer and usually it's a good idea to not go it alone. Looking for maybe a hiking club or group that goes to Loch Lomond park or any recommends on trail hikes guided for next summer.

Just got back from Skye and did some hill climbing there, but the island was packed and difficult to get to Munros as no public transit.

Hi Janet,
The Meet Up groups are great , that's how I got out on the hills and havent looked back - the Glasgow Hillwalking Club and the Scottish Hillwalking and Activitie Group (shag) are both well established and have great walk leaders who take the trouble to organise the whole day so all you need to do is turn up !!! They both have callanders where they post all the different walks and events which makes it easy to read, from low level linear walks to Munro bagging weekends. And of course there is the Autumn Walkhighlands Meet in November being held in Laggan, The Great Glen Youth Hostel where you can meet loads of hillwalkers with a wide variety of knowledge and experience and be made to feel very welcome and of course the craic is good to. The information is on the Forum page 'WH Autumn Meet November'. You can always look on the Talk Highlands Facebook page where folk post walks as well as on the forum page on Wallkhighlands !!! The options are endless, hope you find something Michelle
MichelleHamilton
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Bloostar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 pm

If you’re ever in the Stirling neighbourhood I’m usually heading up and around the Trossachs or Lawers hills most weekends, weather permitting. Feel free to give me a shout but mind I’m the wrong side of 40 now :crazy: so can’t keep up with the young uns as much as I’d like to these days lol. Clubs are pretty good but sometimes you can end up with too many people going.
Bloostar
Mountain Walker

Postby KDmomof4 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:49 am

I may be in the Loch Lomond area early May 2018, probably on the 4th or 5th, if you're interested you can message me? I'm going to look at the hiking clubs as well. Want to bag a few Munros before the high tourist season kicks in.
KDmomof4
Mountaineer

Munros:4   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs