walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Walking partner for Cape Wrath Trail - April/May 2018

Walking partner for Cape Wrath Trail - April/May 2018

Postby jtmbeta » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:50 am

This message was deleted
Last edited by jtmbeta on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtmbeta
Hill Bagger

Re: Walking partner for Cape Wrath Trail - April/May 2018

Postby louisegirvan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Joel,

I've been looking at this too! I'm 29, reasonably fit (great walking stamina, terrible running stamina) and just love being outside. This year I did the WHW in 4 days (so walking about 26 miles a day) and found it ok, although I really discovered the value of compression socks and knee supports :lol:

Are you planning to walk the whole thing or just sections of it? What kind of time-frame are you estimating?

At the minute I can't say yay or nay for sure, it depends on what annual leave I can manage, but I'll keep an eye on this thread over the next few months!

Louise
louisegirvan

Munros:74   Corbetts:2

Postby jtmbeta » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:19 pm

This message was deleted
Last edited by jtmbeta on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtmbeta
Hill Bagger

Postby Katieontrail » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi Joel, Hi Louise,

I am also planning on hiking the CWT this April/May. I have a big exam coming up in April and I am already looking forward to this adventure. My plan was to hike the WHW in 5 days, take 1 day off and then start the CWT on probably the 22nd of April and hopefully finish on my 24th birthday. I am kind of bound to the end of my exam and the start of the Foundation programme, but might be able to shift things around a little.

I am more experienced in the German mountains, than in the Scottish. I attempted the CWT in 2016, but my friend got Achilles tendinitis in both feet and we had to stop after 4 days. Now I definitely know what to expect :wink: and it is not going to put me off :D Last year I did the dream trail from Munich to Venice across the alps with a group of people I met on the trail, which was amazing. I am running a few times a week, which is hopefully going to be enough preparation.

I will keep an eye on this thread. Maybe our timetables work out. It would be great if we could start in Fort William together.

Katie
Katieontrail

Postby andrewl7642 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi, I'd be up for joining you but not until May when it's a bit warmer.

I know most of the route already as I've walked the sections between Fort William and Morvich, and Ullapool to Inchnadamph,then from Kinlochbervie to Cape Wrath. Some of it can be pretty tough but I want to give it another try this year to complete the whole route and also take a detour to visit Inverie at Knoydart.

I intend doing this with or without company but company is always better. A group of 3 or 4 would be ideal, if you guys are interested?

If you need any advice just ask. :)
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Arumer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi, i'm going to walk the CWT in the beginning of may. Not sure if i want to team up all the way since i like the aspect of walking it solo but if we meet on the trail. im happy to stick together for a while!
Arumer
Mountaineer

Postby Herbal » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Does anyone know roughly how many people you pass on a typical day walking the CWT in May. I'm planning on walking alone but assume you see SOMEONE each day? Is that right or are your bleached bones found in a ditch sometime in October?

Thanks.
Herbal
Mountaineer

Postby andrewl7642 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi Herbal

I think it can vary but May is certainly a more popular month than anytime between Oct and March.
I am going to walk it myself, third attempt second half of May, so you might pass me... or I might pass you lol.
It's a quiet route but you're still likely to see a few people each day, some could be out on day walks, climbing hills or visiting bothys but not actually walking the CWT.

I walked in July last year and passed between 4-7 people each day, May is probably more popular actually because there are less midgies floating about.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Postby andrewl7642 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 pm

So.... I'm thinking of doing the Cape Wrath Trail second half of May, if anybody is interested in joining me please let me know.
backpacking the whole route, wild camping and campsites, occasional bothies and hostels.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Postby terminalsump » Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 am

My bag is packed (well almost) and I plan to head off from Fort William on May 17th. Company for any part of the route is most welcome!
Tim
terminalsump
Scrambler

Munros:268   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs