walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stubborn as an ox, as my mum would say - Beinn Maol Chaluim

Stubborn as an ox, as my mum would say - Beinn Maol Chaluim

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Maol Chaluim

Date walked: 08/10/2017

Time taken: 4.1 hours

Distance: 8.2 km

Ascent: 960m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_7161_zpszvkfxzuz.JPG
The start near Lochan Urr

This will be a minimalistic report. Little to say really, other than the fact that a foreign sounding chap I met only a few minutes into the walk (he was descending and looked like he had decided early doors that the game was a bogey) tried to warn me. "You really sure you want to go up there today?" he had asked. "It's a bit wet and boggy!"

"Oh, I'm sure it is!" I had replied as I ploughed on stubbornly.

It was Day 2 of my four hill days on the back of the Super, sensational and 60 gig at the Glencoe Independent Hostel. The forecast had looked rank from the outset and most punters had simply checked out of the hostel and gone home. I thought about joining the Geordie lads, Mark, Alan and Steve, on the Pap, or even just heading straight to Duror Bothy where I was staying that night with the Geordies and Alan Bellis, but in the end I decided to head down to Glen Etive and tackle Beinn Maol Chaluim. Don't ask why. I just did!

There were quite a few kayakers piling their equipment out of the back of and off the roofs of vans in Glen Etive and heading for the water. They would not be the only ones to get a drenching today!

I parked up in a long lay by at the south western end of the gap in the forestry just beyond Inbhir-fhaolan and, somewhat reluctantly, set about looking for a path up through the sodden undergrowth. To say it was a path, once I located it, would be overly generous.

IMG_7162_zpsdeojhczo.JPG
Thanks Dad!

Warning from the foreign bloke ignored, I grimly set about the task of climbing the LONNNNNGGGGG south ridge. My mum has always said I am a stubborn bugg*er (I blame my dad) and I guess she would have been shaking her head and tutting to herself if she could have seen me now! :lol:

On a day like today, Beinn Maol Chaluim from this side really is the hill that keeps giving! Giving grief that is! On and on and on and on and on.........At least the views were making it worthwhile!

IMG_7164_zpscwzd6dih.JPG
The pick of the views on the ascent!

IMG_7165_zpseu8s1hys.JPG
And in second place.......

IMG_7166_zpsmftenrhq.JPG
On and on and on and on and ..........

IMG_7167_zpspg1bewmy.JPG
Kill me now, it's getting worse!

IMG_7168_zpsz023n17c.JPG
Autumn nuts!

IMG_7169_zpskdc2rffv.JPG
Some crags to enliven proceedings

IMG_7170_zpsxtdqhylh.JPG
Why me God!!!???

IMG_7171_zpsp6zmdtvw.JPG
A rational, sane person would just go to the pub at this point!

IMG_7172_zps36h5j2kp.JPG
Beinn Maol Chaluim ya ba*!

Amazingly, I met another fool and his canine companion having lunch behind a large boulder about 15 minutes after I had legged it from the summit. "Is it much further to the summit?" he had asked. "About 15 minutes" I replied. "You really sure you want to go up there today? It's a bit wet and boggy" might have been a more appropriate response.

The only redeeming feature about this walk came late in the day on the descent when the cloud cover scattered enough to give some half decent views up and down Glen Etive. Then all that remained was to stumble and curse my way down through the ferns to the road, lamenting my genetic stubbornness and looking forward to a few beers and a spot of "bothy TV" in Glen Duror.

IMG_7174_zps43ixzqfa.JPG
Is this redemption?

IMG_7176_zpsrlh44s66.JPG
Up Glen Etive!

IMG_7177_zpscleqssci.JPG
Loch Etive sandwiched by Starav and Trilleachan

IMG_7179_zpsauynhqnk.JPG
Up Glen Etive again!

IMG_7180_zpszu5u4vqm.JPG
Starav with a hat on

IMG_7181_zpspxkp6nnl.JPG
Lochan Urr

IMG_7182_zpsewlq4pgu.JPG
The rear end of Stob Coire Sgreamhach and the Lairig Gartain between Stob Dubh and Stob na Broige

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Stubborn as an ox, as my mum would say - Beinn Maol Chal

Postby malky_c » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Hmmm...I did contemplate coming with you very briefly, but I changed my mind before I even got around to mentioning it! I saw similar views for less effort and bog, so I don't think I missed anything. The lure of not having been up there before probably helps a bit :roll:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Ah well.....at least you got out which is more than can be said for me :roll: That said, this one is much nicer on a crisp, blue skyed, sunny winter's day :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Gosh, how very different it can be as between good and bad conditions... I knew even at the time I did it that I was very fortunate.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60612

All I can say is that it really is worth the effort in the right circumstances.... The views are really sensational.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 am

Now I know which hill to avoid on a wet day :lol: Mind you, Trillieachan is just as bad if not worse!

It was a very quiet Sunday, the cloud sat very low over mountains. Wet, miserable conditions, no views... But some of us just can't stay put :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 am

Alteknacker wrote:Gosh, how very different it can be as between good and bad conditions... I knew even at the time I did it that I was very fortunate.

All I can say is that it really is worth the effort in the right circumstances.... The views are really sensational.

Correct link now...

Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:15 am

Ox like qualities are a necessary requirement on days like these. :wtf:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby PeteR » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm

You certainly do pick them Graeme :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland