walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bike/hike Ben Avon Via Glean an-Slugain

Bike/hike Ben Avon Via Glean an-Slugain

Postby Nevertoofar » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Ben Avon

Date walked: 13/08/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First report so please be kind,this hill has been one I have planned for so long, but at last I have it in the bag.Parked at the car park at kelloch and cycled up the glen.The weather this August has not been that good in the north east of scotland despite me being able to visit eight cairngorms this summer prior to this one so the going was surprisingly dry.,While cycling up I heard a motorcycle which passed me it had a Belgian plate and wonder if he knew that to my knowledge he shouldn't have ridden as far as the fairyglen as he had done,I never managed to catch up with him so I will never know..Once I had drop the bike of at the ruin I continued on foot with the corries of Beinn a'bhuird coming into view and eventually the sneck appeared with it's impressive line of tors.When I had negotiated the zigzags up to the plateau it was a stroll to the to the tor top of Ben Avon Leabaidh an Daimh Buidhe it seems from my altimeter on my GPS that the true top is the southern most part of the tor which is very easily accessed from the east side and with hardly any wind at all it was easily achieved.So time for a bite to eat and return back to the bike and unfortunately accompanied by rather a heavy down pour.
1502636143026.jpg
The fairy glen
1502632297942.jpg
Beinn a'Bhuird
Attachments
1502623505745.jpg
Leadbaidh an Daimh Bhuide
1502624211698.jpg
close of the summit tor
1502622593103.jpg
Slochd Mor
Nevertoofar
Rambler

Munros:68   Corbetts:11
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:11   

Re: Bike/hike Ben Avon Via Glean an-Slugain

Postby scottcummings » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:51 am

Hi, looking at bike/hike of Ben Avon next. From the walkhighlands route and profile it looks good for a bike. How did you find the cycle and how far did you manage to go by bike.

Cheers, Scott
scottcummings
Mountaineer

Munros:117   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby DEADEVEN » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:12 am

scottcummings wrote:Hi, looking at bike/hike of Ben Avon next. From the walkhighlands route and profile it looks good for a bike. How did you find the cycle and how far did you manage to go by bike.

Cheers, Scott

Scott no reply as yet eh
I'd be interested to know this also as I plan on doing this on Sunday and have been told to take the bikes as far as we can :D I'll ask a friend again today and post again
DEADEVEN
Munro compleatist

Munros:226   

Postby prog99 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:37 am

DEADEVEN wrote:
scottcummings wrote:Hi, looking at bike/hike of Ben Avon next. From the walkhighlands route and profile it looks good for a bike. How did you find the cycle and how far did you manage to go by bike.

Cheers, Scott

Scott no reply as yet eh
I'd be interested to know this also as I plan on doing this on Sunday and have been told to take the bikes as far as we can :D I'll ask a friend again today and post again

I can bike right to the very end of the track but it may not be to everyones taste. Leaving it further south opens options to do some circuits round the tors.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby DEADEVEN » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:08 am

prog99 wrote:
DEADEVEN wrote:

Cheers, Scott

Scott no reply as yet eh

I can bike right to the very end of the track but it may not be to everyones taste. Leaving it further south opens options to do some circuits round the tors.

Yip that's what my mate has just said :clap:
He says if you don't mind walking with bike for a bit then it opens out onto a man made path again and you can bike for a right good bit after that
DEADEVEN
Munro compleatist

Munros:226   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland