walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First walk

First walk

Postby taxi3528 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 06/07/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For many years I have wanted to climb Ben Wyvis as I see it almost every day. With my good woman away on hols with her sister I thought that there was no time like the present so after a hearty breakfast of porridge and a generous helping of sultanas it was off to the car park, arriving at about 11 am, 2 hours later than I had wanted.

Here's me on the wrong side of 55 and at the base of the hill with a good stock of food / water and a few bars of chocolate, an old pair of work boots, a jacket I thought was waterproof and a walking stick cut from an old apple tree branch.
The first part of the ascent went well and as I reached the start of the steeper part I wondered about the sanity of it all. Being a stubborn old git I soldiered on reaching the stone staircase / steps taking them a bout 10 at a time and stopping for a rest. Onwards and upwards and by now I was starting to meet people on their way down. "If u have reached this far u will manage the rest ok" said one chap.

The scenery was stunning and with Loch Glascarnoch away in the distance I continued upwards hoping that the weather would clear a little.
With Little Wyvis now below I new I was within reach of the summit but the old body was beginning to creak a little and I thought of doing an about turn when I reached An Cabar as the visibility was quite poor.

I had gone this far so why give up now I thought. How long to the summit? 20 minutes replied another couple on their downward journey. The visibility was not great but I carried on, suddenly the trig point loomed up and I had done it.
Stopping briefly for a bite to eat and make a phone call or two I set off on the downward journey. My left knee was beginning to give a little bother but my trusty stick saved the day.

The downward journey was slower than I anticipated reaching the carpark at 5.30 but it was all worth it. Now I will just have to suffer the aches and pains for a day or two. :D

Maybe I will do it again on a better day to get some good pics.
Attachments
phone Pictures 219.jpg
At last
phone Pictures 217.jpg
Almost there
phone Pictures 214.jpg
Little Wyvis
phone Pictures 210.jpg
Loch Glascarnoch in the distance
phone Pictures 209.jpg
The staircase to hell
phone Pictures 192.jpg
The easy part
taxi3528
Ambler

Re: First walk

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:11 pm

Excellent! Well done! Didn't realise there was stone-pitching up An Cabar
mountain coward

Postby monty » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Taxi....,
Excellent choice of Breaky

quote walking stick cut from an old apple tree branch.
Very innovative of you. Looking at that stick on the trig point, are you sure you didn't borrow that from harry potter :lol:

The climb up an Cabar looks quite steep from the map so no wonder you were a bit tired but after that it becomes easy walking. The aches and pains get less with each outing well done.

Excellent pictures of little Wyvis and the "staircase to hell" :lol:
monty

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:19 pm

hi there Taxi

Well done. Did you enjoy it enough to plan another trip?

jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby taxi3528 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for the positive comments folks.

I made a little mistake with the time as it took me 6.5 hours up and down including all stops.

My daughter was a little miffed that I did not ask her along so maybe I might have to do it all over again but a better pair of boots will be on the shopping list along with a good stick.

On the decent I was a little surprised to see just how steep it really was.
Attachments
phone Pictures 246.jpg
Oops!
taxi3528
Ambler

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:14 pm

I doubt I'll be descending that way when I do it - partly 'cos I'm scared of steep descents, and partly 'cos I intend to do the whole ridge to the end and descend over Tom a' Choinnich and walk back underneath the the start path...

You're not a taxi driver are you? (just looking at your monicker on here)...
mountain coward

Postby taxi3528 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Yep. Spend all day sitting on my backside, possibly the laziest job in the world.
taxi3528
Ambler

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:26 pm

that makes it ever better that you've started going up the hills then! :D
mountain coward

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:19 pm

taxi3528 wrote:and as I reached the start of the steeper part I wondered about the sanity of it all. Being a stubborn old git I soldiered on r

I think most regular users on here can sympathise with these thoughts! :lol: Well done Taxi. Excellent will power and perseverence.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Yeah - there's always a part on every Munro on the way up where I question what I'm doing... I keep reminding myself of my mantra - "There's no such thing as an easy Munro!" :lol:
mountain coward

Postby danrun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 pm

were any of they phone calls for a taxi?? many a time when completing an ascent my body has been begging for a lift back to the car! :lol: great effort.
go on start planning your next challenge this is how the bug starts....
danrun
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:01 pm

You better not be an Edinburgh cabbie :evil:. U-turning, signal shy barstewards :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:You better not be an Edinburgh cabbie :evil:. U-turning, signal shy barstewards :lol:

I see not much has changed in the last ten years then...... :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby taxi3528 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Nope, not Auld Reekie, just good old Inverness. Left my taxi at the bottom of the hill so I got a free ride home. Just mulling over the next one, thinking about going Aviemore but my sister inlaw wants to do the big daddy at Ft. Wm. when they are up here later in the month.
taxi3528
Ambler

Postby GMP01 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Well done on the walk...if you are thinking of doing the biggy the tourist route is enough to put anyone off.. Lots to do around Cairngorms and scenery can be awsome. good luck on the walks and the more you do the easier it will become....although as said previously there are no really easy munros.
GMP01
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland