walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Re-exploring sunny Langdale

Re-exploring sunny Langdale

Postby Jaxter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Lingmoor Fell, Silver How

Date walked: 17/09/2017

Time taken: 6.4

Distance: 21.87 km

Ascent: 1096m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part One

Silver How and the Chapel Stile Ridge
8.34km
463m ascent
2 hours 20 mins

Chapel Stile Ridge.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a home cooked meal (my Mum is an amazing cook), a gloriously hot shower and a decent nights sleep in a bed, I was in no hurry to get up in the morning. My parents decided to head to church while I decided it was such a gorgeous morning that the mountain was my church and took the camera for a wander up some old haunts.

Leaving Elterwater I crossed the road and headed straight up the road for a few metres before joining a boggy path through the braken.

The views were stunning already – looking back I could see Loughrigg Fell and Wetherlam behind

I met a few people out who all agreed it was far too bonny a morning to be indoors. Reaching a flat grassy area I climbed steeply up a rocky and eroded path onto the ridge.

The views were stunning – behind is Great Rigg and Seat Sandal where I’d been the day before

As I walked along the ridge the Langdale Pikes came into view

It was absolutely roasting and I found myself wishing I’d brought my shorts. Continuing along the ridge I met a couple who seemed worried that I didn’t really know where I was headed :shock: I assured them that I was just wandering, knew the area and had a map with me (as well as waterproofs, down jacket, extra gloves, enough food to feed a family of four, midge repellent, suncream, emergency bivvy bag and the rest of the kitchen sink :shock: :lol: )

I found a cairn and decided it was the perfect opportunity for a wee Jaxter pose…

Looking back the way I’d come I could see Elterwater and down the glen to Windermere

Elterwater

As I continued along the ridge I came across a sheep that was sunbathing on the path….so used to people I managed to take a photo and walk right up to it before it moved :lol:

As I gained height along the ridge I could see the Langdale Pikes more clearly – it was tempting to keep going instead of returning home for lunch with the folks….

Langdale valley framed by Pike O Blisco, Crinkle Crags, Bowfell and the Pikes

Down towards Grasmere

Lingmoor Fell with Wetherlam behind

Reaching a high point I got the big lens out…The Langdale Pikes taking centre stage; Harrison Stickle and Paveyark

Bowfell

Pike O Blisco

Paveyark – can see Jack’s Rake across the middle. Save that one for another day 8)

Harrison Stickle with people on top

The whole panorama

Grasmere

It was time to head down as I had a deadline – Lunch :D And also a plan to head out again in the afternoon.

Langdale valley
I found a gully to scramble down until a path materialised. It was steep downhill and got me down quickly and then a short road walk into Chapel Stile.

From here I walked along the river to Elterwater and was back in time for lunch and making plans for the afternoon….

Some time later....

Side Pike & Lingmoor Fell
13.53km
633m ascent
4 hours 20 mins

Side Pike.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After lunch we set out down Langdale valley…It was still very warm (this time I’d got my shorts and soon stopped to put them on 8) ) and the Pikes were in full view

We could see Dungeon Gyhll Hotel and the tourist route up to Stickle Tarn

We continued along the valley floor and as we rounded a bend we could see Side Pike, our target.

Pike O Blisco, the Crinkle Crags and Bowfell (just out of shot) were striking

As we progressed the path became a bit more boggy…here my Dad negotiates a boggy section but disappointingly made it across without mishap :lol:

Crossing a field

Looking up the Pikes

We met a path which climbed steeply uphill to the bealach between Side Pike and Pike O Blisco. The early evening light was making the end of the valley look awesome

Little Langdale Tarn

From here the climb up Side Pike itself began. The hill is made of layers of rock making the climb really interesting – like huge steps as you have to climb up rocky shelves. At some point as we climbed this section we realised that it was going to take a long time to get back….As what to do was discussed, I discovered I could zoom all the way to Easy Gulley from here

Paveyark

Harrison Stickle

Crags…

Bowfell and the Band

Figuring we may as well get to the summit before making a decision we climbed the last wee section and this tiny hill although only 350m high is such a great wee viewpoint 8)

Langdale Pikes

Bowfell and the Crinkles

Panorama – Little Langdale to the Pikes

The folks

Had to happen….

It was definitely evening….

We headed back down to “the Squeeze” which I’d never heard of and my parents had found out about my accident. It consisted of a tiny gap that you had to take your bag of and go through sideways whilst breathing in :shock: :lol:

Mum makes it through….

Little Langdale tarn

Here it was decision time….all of the options were going to have us getting back later than planned :roll: but the best plans are flexible. The folks decided to go to the pub and utilise their bus passes to get back down the valley :lol:

I don’t have a bus pass :lol: Although a bus fare was offered, I decided that since it was shaping up to be a gorgeous evening and I walk fast, I would walk back over Lingmoor Fell.

It was an easy climb upwards towards Lingmoor Fell and I soon found myself much higher than Side Pike.

The Pikes with wee Side Pike in the bottom left

Side Pike

Wetherlam and Swirl How come into view

The evening light was making the Pikes look amazing

The sun shining on Pike O Blisco

The ridge continues….

Looking back again

Soon enough I made the summit of Lingmoor Fell

Swirl How horseshoe

Panorama time 8)

Conscious of time I got going again. It was also pretty chilly when I was stopped :lol: The path down the ridge was easy to follow and really enjoyable to walk. I knew I had been up there loads of times before but it was so many years ago :lol:

Rainbow over Windermere

Looking back

The English sure know how to build a wall :lol:

Another glance back

Swirl How and Wetherlam again

A final glance back

I’m not sure what this is….the map suggests Hard Knott

The ridge ahead

Back up the ridge

The sun dropping behind the hill

Chapel Stile

An easier gate-climb than I’m used to :lol:

Now on a track, I followed it all the way down to the quarry. The Pikes were just visible….

Quarry!

The Pikes once more

Reaching the river it was an easy stroll back towards Elterwater with rainbows for company…

I was back just before the rain started…able to dump my stuff and take the camera up to a high point in case the sunset materialised…it didn’t but the light behind the Pikes was an awesome end to an awesome day 8)

The final day
Last edited by Jaxter on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Re-exploring sunny Langdale

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Stunning set of pics - you're certainly working that camera hard :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Re-exploring sunny Langdale

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:52 am

Alteknacker wrote:Stunning set of pics - you're certainly working that camera hard :D

Cheers! It’s not had many outings since :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland