walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Tirran

Ben Tirran

Postby KatTai » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 26/10/2017

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 12 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to head up Ben Tirren today. While there is a bit of parking beside the gate, there is a big parking area just to the east which is where I parked up. I decided to follow the track from the car park, bad idea I lost it halfway to the main track up but we made it to the track after a bit of fun across boggy ground! The track leads right the way up to Loch Wharral, though the track up to Ben Tirren leaves from a large cairn well before reaching the loch. Of course though, I wanted to go to the loch and rather than doubling back I found a faint track from there leading uphill, which disappeared into a pathless route uphill. Fortunately it is October and there wasn't as much vegetation as there would have been in summer! I did eventually join the main track, which was lost on the plateau but visibility was excellent and Ben Tirren was in sight so it was an easy trek across to the summit where the dogs decided to play some peek-a-boo from the wind shelter! From here we just headed back down, there are several paths snaking their way across the plateau and we ended up on a different to the one we came up passing a few cairns along the way. I couldn't see the track we used for the ascent, so we just started heading downhill and we crossed it eventually following it all the way back to the large cairn where we rejoined the main route. From there it was a case of retracing out steps, though this time I returned to the car park walking along the road!

a.jpg
Buzzardy Buzzard

c.jpg

14.jpg

7.jpg

g.jpg

18.jpg
Peek-a-boo!

28.jpg
Footprints
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland