walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carrock Fell

Carrock Fell

Postby richardkchapman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carrock Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Carrock Fell

Date walked: 29/10/2017

Time taken: 3.3

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 411m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in the Lakes for our annual Autumn holiday, and we started off fairly gently with an ascent of Carrock Fell - we had tried it before along with High Pike but the weather was against us on that occasion.

We set off from just past the ford on the Carrock Beck.

ImageParked near Carrock Beck

Nice to have the target in sight right from the start.

ImageCarrock Fell from our starting point

We set off up the valley towards Driggith Mine.

ImageThe old mine road

The original plan had been to ascend via Red Gate, back along the ridge to Carrock Pike, then a descent down the north flank to the stream. But for some reason we decided to reverse the plan and set off directly towards the summit from the mine path, only to find our way blocked by a stream with no easy way across...

ImageThe impassable stream

We decided that rather than risk a slip that would leave us cold and wet for the rest of the day, we would revert back to plan A, and headed back to the mine road.

ImageBack on the mine road

It's a very easy and gentle ascent as far as the fork that leads to Red Gate, with views of the old mine workings at the head of the valley.

ImageHigh Pike and Driggith Mine

At the fork we looked back towards our final destination.

ImageLooking back towards Carrock Pike

Then there was a steady climb up the Red Gate path until we got to the ridge, and our first views of the fells to the south (well, mostly Blencathra and Skiddaw, since they blocked anything more distant).

ImageFirst views south

I did wonder for a moment about popping over to High Pike, since we had missed the views last time we were there (due to low cloud and sideways hailstones).

ImageHigh Pike

But a glance at Wainwright suggested there was little to be seen from High Pike that we would not see from Carrock Fell or its approach, so we set off along the ridge. A nice easy ridge, at least initially.

ImageCarrock Fell summit in sight

The path seemed to get less and less distinct and more and more boggy the closer we got to our goal - but it wasn't far.

ImageCarrock Fell summit

An interesting top - apparently an old fort, and certainly lots of weird constructions around.

ImageThe summit cairn

The view was somewhat dominated by Blencathra and its foothills, but there were glimpses of more distant fells too - including Great Gable which rather surprised me.

ImagePanorama from Carrock Fell summit

I had been a little nervous about the descent since it was not at all clear whether there was a path all the way, but it turned out to be very simple (and there was).

ImageHigh Pike and Driggith Mine workings

A steepish descent but soft enough underfoot that it was not unpleasantly so.

ImageHeading back down towards Carrock Beck

The car came into view, and a trick of the light made it look like someone was standing by it - a little disconcerting. I hurried ahead to make sure all was well.

ImageFirst view of the car

Rather than attempting a crossing of the beck, we followed the path along the south bank as far as the road, where a footbridge was provided next to the ford.

ImageCarrock Beck Ford

From there a short climb back to the car, and home.

ImageThe road up from the ford
Attachments

Carrock Fell 2017-10-29.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:213   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland