walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgriodain & Chno Dearg - redemption after Etive horror show

Sgriodain & Chno Dearg - redemption after Etive horror show

Postby Graeme D » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:30 am

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 09/10/2017

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 970m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my horror show the previous day on Beinn Maol Chaluim, I had appreciated the warmth and dryness of Duror Bothy with a good fire going.

When I pulled into the parking area at the end of the tarmac, Jaxter and Keith S had just got there before me and were suiting and booting. Keith S was accompanied by his canine handler and accomplished report writer, Bear.

I tried as quickly as I could to chuck the bare (or should that be Bear!) necessities into my big pack - beer, coal, wood, sleeping bag, coffee, jetboil stove, more beer, more coal, more wood - while Jaxter and Bear stood there and tutted about how long I was taking! Meanwhile Keith sniffed his arse, licked his balls and crapped in the middle of the car park! :lol: Or was it the other way around? :think:

We were joined by a young lad from Englandshire (Adam I think his name was but it was so long ago now it's anybody's guess!) who was working at the Glencoe YH and had the evening and following morning off and had fancied a quiet Sunday evening in Duror Bothy. Nae luck mate! There are Three Geordies still to arrive! :lol:

We plodded the extremely muddy and partly forested, partly deforested 40 or so minutes to the bothy to find Mr Bellis, a.k.a. mountainstar already in residence, nursing a can of ale and overseeing a roaring fire. A short while later the Three Geordies (a.k.a. Mark, Steve and Alan) turned up carrying more bare necessities.

Shortly after this, Bear and his two-legged novelty pet departed, no doubt having foreseen the inevitable farting, burping and snoring that would be going on throughout the long hours of darkness. I blame that Jaxter girl personally! :shock:

Anyway, I had awoken to another grim looking day, the only saving grace being that it was a Monday morning and the first day proper of the October fortnight! We slowly got our sh*t together and headed back the extremely muddy and partly forested, partly deforested 40 or so minutes to the cars. There was no sign of Bear and his campervan - he and his two-legged novelty pet had clearly decided to head off the previous evening on their onward journey up to Laide.

After two rather skanky days in the Glencoe area, I was keen to avoid a hat-trick and with the forecasts having generally predicted a more favourable picture further east for the weekend and start of the new week, I decided to head in that direction.

I followed Mr Bellis out to the main road and all the way up to Fort William where Mrs Bellis had spent the night slumming it in a Premier Inn. While he went to avail himself of the Premier Inn shower facilities, I went for a bacon roll and a wee browse in the myriad of outdoor clothing shops lining the pedestrian High Street of Fort Bill. I resisted temptation but couldn't resist the temptation of popping into Tesco for a sneeky look at the back pages to check out the score from the Slovenia-Scotland game the previous night. That's the thing about bothies - the wifi is universally sh*te! 2-2 huh? I guess a bothy with sh*te wifi might not have been a bad place to be last night then! Christ, at this rate I'll have completed more hill lists than Weaselmaster by the time Scotland next qualify for the finals of a major Football tournament! :wtf:

I still wasn't entirely sure where I was headed - Glen Roy was a possibility, as were the Fersit Munros of Stob Coire Sgriodain and Chno Dearg. In the end I plumped for the latter and carried on through Roybridge before turning off onto the minor road down to Fersit.

As I drove down the road to Fersit, fond memories came back to me of my two day trip many moons ago over the Easains and the Innses. 8)

IMG_7185_zpstfzljyqn.JPG
Stob Coire Sgriodain across An Dubh Lochan from the minor road into Fersit

I parked up at the busy parking/turning area at the end of the road and set off with a spring in my step this fine October Monday morning. There's something about Mondays in October! :wink:

Anyway, I'll let the photos do the work from here on in, but not before saying that this was a wonderful hill day - one of the highlights of 2017 and one that I will remember fondly and dream about for many years to come! 8)

IMG_7186_zpskjcu0o92.JPG
Busy car parking area at the end of the tarmac

IMG_7189_zpsby1yi9sd.JPG
Bog fest between the farm and the start of the long ascent of Sron na Garbh-bheinne

IMG_7191_zpsuaimxjty.JPG
Odd concrete pillar

IMG_7201_zps4ptdwutj.JPG
The Roughburn Munros and Creag Meagaidh

IMG_7202_zpscjx0momm.JPG
Loch Laggan between Meaghaidh and the Loch na-h-Earba hills

IMG_7205_zpsfxm9lrkd.JPG
Across Loch Treig to the Meall Cian Dearg ridge up to Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin with Stob Choire Claurigh beyond

IMG_7207_zpsyhceb5ei.JPG
Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and Stob Choire Claurigh

IMG_7209_zpsmqt0npg8.JPG
Chno Dearg with her hat on

IMG_7210_zpsbimegplo.JPG
Creag Mholach

IMG_7211_zpsyu1nn8hk.JPG
East - what a panorama!

IMG_7215_zps1yrbnarc.JPG
Loch Treig

IMG_7217_zpsbjy2fisj.JPG
Summit of Sgriodain

IMG_7218_zpszdeaocqz.JPG
Finally found a sunny summit!

IMG_7223_zpsf5khfwya.JPG
Chno Dearg with her hat off!

IMG_7225_zps5jpnq8cy.JPG
This Yin and That Yin (plus Claurigh)

IMG_7226_zpsw70zx20n.JPG
There are no words!

IMG_7227_zpsyyfoetlq.JPG
Creag Mheagaidh

IMG_7228_zpssbfztlln.JPG
Chno Dearg in shadow

IMG_7229_zpsfsra5beh.JPG
Back to the Easains

IMG_7230_zpsmyrhisvt.JPG
No end to the fantastic views to the East

IMG_7232_zpst7p6wgt5.JPG
Lochan Coire an Lochain and Chno Dearg

IMG_7234_zpsllvj9fji.JPG
Back to Sgriodain

IMG_7235_zpszxr2bme4.JPG
Ahead to Chno Dearg

IMG_7239_zpsakvznnlw.JPG
Easains

IMG_7240_zpsrsyyy5qm.JPG
Chno Dearg

IMG_7243_zpsrqzqygqv.JPG
Stob Coire Sgriodain

IMG_7244_zps41yujx1x.JPG
Beinn na Lap

IMG_7245_zpsssn8mfus.JPG
Final approach to Chno Dearg

IMG_7247_zpstatbp0vl.JPG
East from Chno Dearg to the Laggan and na-h-Earba hills

IMG_7248_zpsk3nzssor.JPG
Posing on the monumental cairn of Chno Dearg

IMG_7250_zpsau3ucbyz.JPG
Cloud engulfing Sgriodain

IMG_7251_zpsf0yqepmh.JPG
Early stages of the descent

IMG_7253_zpszfvztypm.JPG
Sron na Garbh-bheinne

IMG_7254_zps6fe6vaec.JPG
Bog fest descent back to Fersit - Creag Dubh at 12 o'clock

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Sgriodain & Chno Dearg - redemption after Etive horror s

Postby Coop » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 pm

My own 100th.

Anyway.

Is that big rabid dug still there.
S**t myself and was so glad it had a muzzle on.

Great report cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Coop wrote:My own 100th.

Anyway.

S**t myself and was so glad it had a muzzle on.

Great report cheers

Aye, it's still there! It came running at me at 100mph barking and foaming at the mouth. Still had the muzzle on fortunately! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby GreyhoundofRydal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:45 pm

"My own 100th.

Anyway.

S**t myself and was so glad it had a muzzle on."

We did these two hills last week and had to change underpants courtesy of the Hound of the Baskervilles! :shock:
GreyhoundofRydal
Mountain Walker

Munros:219   
Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:197   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 pm

I look back fondly on Sgriodain too, a magnificent summit.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Redemption right enough - that looked like a good decision - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby naepace » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

We met the mad hound as well....and the farmer (equally mad ??? :shock: )
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland