walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nice views on a great day up Beinn Each

Nice views on a great day up Beinn Each

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Route description: Beinn Each from Loch Lubnaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 29/10/2017

Time taken: 3.29 hours

Distance: 7.29 km

Ascent: 734m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn-Each.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A month of highs and lows along with bad conditions meant not climbing a hill all month, not counting another quick jaunt up Conic Hill at the start of the month in which we just reached the 358 tourist summit and didn't bother going back to the proper 361 summit due to low cloud and Y just wanting to build up the hill fitness again. We had climbed the hill properly a few years back anyway and it's hardly strenuous, so it was about 5 weeks since my last proper climb up Beinn Narnain.

With this in mind, a dry day promised, road issues to the west and freedom with the car, I decided to head back to superb Strathyre to climb Beinn Each, the hill of the horse, and if I had time go on to Stuc a'Chroin and maybe even Sgiath a'Chaise.

Slightly delayed leaving, I was further delayed when I couldn't park anywhere near my planned breakfast roll stop on route so a detour for a roll and sausage, another pit stop in Callander and another slight delay getting parked at the start point meant I was setting off a good hour and a half later than planned.

Ben Ledi from Callander, looking so good this morning that I almost changed my mind and went to climb it instead, then decided against it knowing everyone else on this chilly sunny morning would have the same idea:
ImageDSC_4634 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I continued on in the car up the side of Loch Lubnaig only to see the lay-by at the start of the walk completely full... dammit. I continued on and spotted another bit where I could park on a track just along the road. A quick change and I set off along the road, past the full lay-by and over the Ardchullarie Burn then turned left.

Just up the driveway/track a workies makeshift scaffol straddles a ditch and I cross, following the path along a wall and then into the forest:
ImageDSC_4638 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's a cracking day for it:
ImageDSC_4641 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

After ducking a few fallen trees that straddle the path you reach a track, turn left and beware of forestry machinery...
ImageDSC_4642 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I reach a gate in no time:
ImageDSC_4645 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's not long through the gate and Beinn Each comes into view surrounded by nice autumn colours:
ImageDSC_4648 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Behind me Ben Ledi is now in view and looking grand:
ImageDSC_4654 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The approach to Beinn Each is Y standard :lol: and quick progress is made...
ImageDSC_4655 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

... crossing a stream with Beinn Each looking like a quick and steep hike so expect good views in no time:
ImageDSC_4658 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The sign indicating it's time to ascend...
ImageDSC_4662 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The start of the path is grassy and predictably boggy but probably a 2/5 and when things start to get vertical it branches off left, then right, zig-zagging up the slopes:
ImageDSC_4664 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Sgiath a'Chaise reveals itsefl as I ascend:
ImageDSC_4669 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's one of those hills that's a bit like a long staircase but it's got a decent enough warm up as Glen Ample is fairly elevated, Beinn Each then ramps it up some more:
ImageDSC_4674 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beyond the neighbouring Graham, I spot the Tarmachan Ridge in the distance to the north, instantly recognisable and a superb walk:
ImageDSC_4676 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Behind me Ben Ledi continues to appear and to the right of that Bevnave can now be seen:
ImageDSC_4684 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I pass a woman and her dog which is a funny mix of Jack Russell and Collie and it comes up to say hi, surprising the woman who says it usually isn't as friendly. We chat for a bit then I set off and say i'll no doubt see her again.

Two men and their dogs then pass just as I set off again and greetings are said but i'm already in top gear having spotted Ben More and now itching to get further up to see more:
ImageDSC_4687 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The noise of 3 local ravens down below prompt a photo, it's a busy wee Corbett today!
ImageDSC_4689 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The path gets a little more interesting...ImageDSC_4691 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

... good height is gained fast and now the view back to Loch Lubnaig with it's towering protectors is looking grand and I can see almost the entire way I have walked so far:
ImageDSC_4695 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The only panorama I took surprisingly, but it shows the scene as you climb with Stob Binnein and Ben More now visible:
ImageDSC_4696 20171029_113139 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Under 200ft to go now and the path turns east to continue the climb:
ImageDSC_4698 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I pass a young couple who say they are just doing the Corbett and going to practice some map skills as I whizz by.

Suddenly in the distance I spot a massive bird and straight away the red feathers, long tail and large angular, almost v-shaped wings make me think it's a Red Kite and later checking would confirm this. It was a first and what a bird, very big but I only managed one shot and didn't have the telephoto lens attached, a missed opportunity! :crazy:
ImageDSC_4702 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back down at the path travelled so far, young couple visible on the path up:
ImageDSC_4705 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As the path continues round and up the view north improves again with Meall nan Tarmachan, Meall Corranaich and Beinn Ghlas now all visible:
ImageDSC_4709 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Fairly easy going now:
ImageDSC_4715 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Summit ahoy! Well it's actually a little behind the impressive cone of rock up ahead:
ImageDSC_4717 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stuc a'Chroin can now be seen back left, i'm still unsure if i'll have enough daylight left to include it but in hindsight kind of wish I had... :lol:
ImageDSC_4719 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The ravens appear and craw their hellos as I make the final climb to the summit.
ImageDSC_4727 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I stop half way to look back and see Ben Venue and Ben Lomond:
ImageDSC_4731 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Benvane with distant Arrochar Alps:
ImageDSC_4732 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Big Balqihidder hills:
ImageDSC_4733 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Crianlarich set:
ImageDSC_4734 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The big yins:
ImageDSC_4735 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Challuim, Glen Lochay and Glen Dochart hills to the north:
ImageDSC_4736 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meall an t-Seallaidh & Creag Mac Ranaich looking impressive:
ImageDSC_4737 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Remembering I still have a summit to reach I make haste, heading to the right of the false pointy summit pyramid:
ImageDSC_4741 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Done!
ImageDSC_4742 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stuc a'Chroin and a choice of summit rock perches:
ImageDSC_4747 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Cairn marks the spot:
ImageDSC_4748 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South east:
ImageDSC_4749 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South west:
ImageDSC_4752 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I love this country.

The conditions are tip top and looking over at the potential follow-up Monro i'm struck by the thought of just parking myself here then heading back, it's been pretty perfect so far and a quality get-back-on-it walk and i'm reluctant to see that change. The best option is clearly to park it, eat my lunch and just enjoy the surroundings.
ImageDSC_4754 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Even the wind played along and settled down for me. Stuc a'Chroin, think i'll leave you for another day, i'm in no hurry to leave perfect summit conditions on a day like today! 8)
ImageDSC_4757 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Distant Ochils south east:
ImageDSC_4760 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Isolated Dumyat, I should really have climbed it by now:
ImageDSC_4763 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Wallace Monument:
ImageDSC_4764 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Directly south is Meikle Bin, one of the best views in the country and less than an hour to the summit!
ImageDSC_4767 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4768 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South west are the Campsies with Dumgoyne standing out as always:
ImageDSC_4773 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Ledi to the west now showing it's bulk:
ImageDSC_4775 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As suspected a busy summit, with a guy even standing on the trig point! :lol:
ImageDSC_4776 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Venue and Ben Lomond:
ImageDSC_4778 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4780 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4782 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Benvane, Ben Arthur & Beinn Narnain:
ImageDSC_4790 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A 'Chrois, Beinn Ime & Ben Vane:
ImageDSC_4791 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Little Ben Vane:
ImageDSC_4792 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Bulky Ben Vorlich:
ImageDSC_4793 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stob a'Choin:
ImageDSC_4794 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Chabhair with Beinn Bhuidhe behind it:
ImageDSC_4795 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn a'Chroin & An Caisteal:
ImageDSC_4796 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Tulaichean:
ImageDSC_4798 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Cruach Ardrain with Ben Lui back right in the distance:
ImageDSC_4799 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stob Binnein:
ImageDSC_4801 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben More:
ImageDSC_4803 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Challuim, it's like a who's who of hills i've climbed the last few years, still plenty to do though!
ImageDSC_4805 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Melal Garbh and Meall nan Tarmachan:
ImageDSC_4815 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Lawers, really looking forward to seeing the view from it when I get round to climbing it:
ImageDSC_4819 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Lawers and co.:
ImageDSC_4822 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The brilliant Tarmachan ridge in full:
ImageDSC_4823 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The twins again:
ImageDSC_4825 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Crianlarich 5:
ImageDSC_4827 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Raven zoom shot:
ImageDSC_4833 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Sun shining on Lochearnhead:
ImageDSC_4837 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The view west is a good one, not quite as good as Ben Venue what with surrounding hills hiding Beinn Each from more impressive views:
ImageDSC_4838 20171029_122424 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I soaked in the scenery for a bit longer and finished snacking as Yvonne and her wee dog Kai approached the summit. We had a right good blether about hills, walking and more and decided to set off downhill at the same time:
ImageDSC_4839 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Even at 77 or so in dog years, Kai was very spritely and loving the walk, shown here posing...
ImageDSC_4841 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Impressive recall too! :clap:
ImageDSC_4843 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Despite not doing Stuc a'Chroin I was more than happy with my fast blast up the Corbett and it's nice being able to take your time. Ben Ledi and Loch Lubnaig:
ImageDSC_4844 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I say cheerio to the giants to the north west and make fast progress downhill:
ImageDSC_4846 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At this point Yvonne and Kai went a different route as they are regular visitors to this area and like exploring new routes. I was happy to continue my stroll back to the car, possibly sensing the traffic troubles and diversions I would face on the drive home!
ImageDSC_4849 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Final downhill section:
ImageDSC_4854 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On the right is the summit of Sgiath a'Chaise:
ImageDSC_4855 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I pass the large erratic which looks just like a petrified Autobot head... :lol:
ImageDSC_4856 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Late afternoon light looking good on the bracken:
ImageDSC_4862 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I turn left at the sign and head back to Loch Lubnaig, stopping for a stream photo:
ImageDSC_4875 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Each in the sunlight, another Corbett conquered, tempted to do Ben Ledi or Ben Donich for number 10, we shall see...
ImageDSC_4878 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Once back on the track it's easy going back to the car:
ImageDSC_4880 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

One last shot of Ben Ledi:
ImageDSC_4882 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

My stroll back was interrupted by a large beast bounding up to say hi and wrapping a lead around my legs! A couple had just done the same walk but added Stuc a'Chroin. We had a quick chat on the way down and they were practising for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in January! :clap:
ImageDSC_4890 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The path soon takes me back to the Loch...
ImageDSC_4895 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Where some horny locals stand guard! :D :D
ImageDSC_4897 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Late light over Loch Lubnaig:
ImageDSC_4904 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ardnandave Hill:
ImageDSC_4907 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Exactly 3 and a half hours and I was done, having thoroughly enjoyed my short excursion and glad to be back on the hills after a mixed month. Nothing is better for the soul than getting out in nature and I was more than chuffed at my choice of adventure for the day, location, views and the friendly people (and dogs) that I met.
Last edited by Chris Mac on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Nice views on a great day up Beinn Each

Postby PeteR » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:49 pm

I did Beinn Each one winter, with soft snow under foot. I never knew there was such a good path up it :lol: No wonder my trip was such a struggle :roll:

It does look like a great little hill too, by the looks of your photos.......certainly a hill I should return to on a good day :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby jmarkb » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Nice one! Some great shots in there. It is a lovely hill.

The continuation to Stuc a' Chroin is very enjoyable: there is quite a good path all the way. Getting back to the Glen Ample track from Stuc a'Chroin is a bit more awkward, and I have yet to find a really good route. I have tried the NW ridge and then following the Allt Coire Chroisg through the forestry, and also returning to Bealach Glas and skirting the forestry on the S side. Both are pathless and heathery, and the former has a deer fence to climb. Any better suggestions welcome!

On the other hand, I see that (thanks to the Keltie hydro scheme, see http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2017/04/12/keltie-water-hydro-scheme/) there are now new bridges across the both the Keltie Water and the Allt Breac-nic near their confluence at NN642130, which will make the round from Braeleny a more attractive proposition again.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 pm

PeteR wrote:I did Beinn Each one winter, with soft snow under foot. I never knew there was such a good path up it :lol: No wonder my trip was such a struggle :roll:

It does look like a great little hill too, by the looks of your photos.......certainly a hill I should return to on a good day :D

Cheers Pete, yeah a decent path the whole way, not surprised it was missed in the snow however.

I recommend returning on a better day, especially one with good visibility.
Chris Mac

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice one! Some great shots in there. It is a lovely hill.

Cheers, yeah I enjoyed it, slightly overshadowed by surrounding hills but still a great view and enjoyable climb.

jmarkb wrote:The continuation to Stuc a' Chroin is very enjoyable: there is quite a good path all the way. Getting back to the Glen Ample track from Stuc a'Chroin is a bit more awkward, and I have yet to find a really good route. I have tried the NW ridge and then following the Allt Coire Chroisg through the forestry, and also returning to Bealach Glas and skirting the forestry on the S side. Both are pathless and heathery, and the former has a deer fence to climb. Any better suggestions welcome!

On the other hand, I see that (thanks to the Keltie hydro scheme, see http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2017/04/12/keltie-water-hydro-scheme/) there are now new bridges across the both the Keltie Water and the Allt Breac-nic near their confluence at NN642130, which will make the round from Braeleny a more attractive proposition again.

I was going to take an off-route return that way but wasn't sure about it, the Keltie Water route looks a long one but fairly easy going underfoot, one to think about for a longer day out... :)
Chris Mac

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 am

How time flies - just realised it's almost exactly 7yrs to the day since I was up here with an old hillwalking friend. It's a nice walk and good way to approach Stuc a'Chroin as we did that day having missed out on it previously. Like you, I'm quite happy these days when I manage to spot a larger bird - I'm just not that great at identifying them so far :roll: Oddly enough we'd also considered the Graham that day but decided against it in the end - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:38 am

rockhopper wrote:How time flies - just realised it's almost exactly 7yrs to the day since I was up here with an old hillwalking friend. It's a nice walk and good way to approach Stuc a'Chroin as we did that day having missed out on it previously. Like you, I'm quite happy these days when I manage to spot a larger bird - I'm just not that great at identifying them so far :roll: Oddly enough we'd also considered the Graham that day but decided against it in the end - cheers :)

Nice one, I see you've still got the Graham to do...! :lol: i've now left it and SaC in between a Munro and Corbett! :crazy:

Yeah it's great when you spot one, especially the bigger ones. By the way keep an eye out for the Buzzard(s) that sit atop the streetlights on the Carmunnock bypass, I pass one there a few times a week! I find the RSPB website decent to help ID them, plus keeping an ear out for the calls then playing them back on on the website can help nail it. :D
Chris Mac

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland