walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter is here - wanderings in a snowy wonderland

Winter is here - wanderings in a snowy wonderland

Postby Jaxter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Route description: Beinn Chuirn, Dalrigh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Chuirn

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Odhar

Date walked: 05/11/2017

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 15.17 km

Ascent: 1103m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After Saturday night’s annual merriment at Gorton, one man woke up hungover. The rest of us didn't wake up...because we hadn’t really slept due to some “trumpeting” that registered on the Richter Scale :shock:

The walk in

Coal-carriers :lol:

An impressive blaze :D

There's only one Monty

Fortunately Sunday was shaping up to be a gorgeous day; it had snowed overnight and I was anxious to get out on the hills 8)

View from Gorton

The hills are calling

Back at the car, the sun shining on Beinn an Dothaidh

I repacked my rucksack and decided that I had plenty of time for Plan A. I drove a few miles down the road, passing a lot of police looking for something at the side of the road :shock: and parked at Tyndrum Lower Station.

I changed into my waterproof socks (the Gorton track was a little moist :lol: ) and crossed the railway at the level crossing. Here the main path seemed to go left; that was my return route. I turned right along a much smaller path which led through the trees.

Looking up to Beinn Odhar overlooking Tyndrum

After crossing a couple of minor burns and then a larger one the path swung left uphill. The sun was shining through the trees

There were lots of mine workings marked on the map but they all seemed to be fenced off :thumbup:

The path soon emerged from the trees and became much steeper. I also managed to lose the path so ended up slipping and sliding my way up a slag heap :lol: But the views were starting to open out and they were fabulous 8)

However, after a wee bit of huffing and puffing the worst was over and I was on top of Sron nan Colan where there was a wee cairn but more importantly I could see some familiar faces.

Ben Lui & Ben Oss

South to the Crianlarich munros

That’s some views eh 8)

Lui & friends and my next target

Ben Oss, Ben Lui and Beinn Chuirn with Meall Odhar in front

Beinn Chuirn looked pretty formidable :shock:

Beinn Chabhair & pals

Ben Challum

Ben Oss

It was cold – a wee frozen lochan :D

Now on the ridge I followed it through some very boggy terrain over a few lumps and bumps and around the top of a forest before arriving at the bottom and rocky spine.

I had a peat hag to cross first and I was very grateful for my gaiters and I sank quite a long way :lol: Safely across that obstacle it then started snowing….I stopped to stick on a waterproof to shield the camera :lol: Fortunately it only lasted a few minutes :thumbup:

However the views were still fabulous 8)

I climbed higher, slipping and sliding my way up damp rocks and slippery grass. Looking backwards the views if anything got better :shock:

And I was on the summit of Meall Odhar :D :D

Beinn Chuirn was looking magnificent and also fairly epic :shock:

I ducked down behind the cairn to shelter from the cold wind and have a wee sandwich and enjoy the views 8)

Ben Lui, former nemesis

Ben Oss and Ben Lui

Crianlarich munros

Even in shelter it was pretty chilly partly because let’s face it, it’s winter. And it was windy as anything :lol: Soon it was time get going. I headed downhill and discovered that someone had planted a forest in my path :lol:

I picked my way through the trees, some sections were easy enough but there were some interesting sections too :lol:

Finally out of the trees I met the deer fence. I knew from reading Graeme D’s report that there wasn’t a stile so didn’t bother wasting time looking for one. I was fairly careful with my fence climbing after cutting my hand on a barbed wire fence on the way to Gorton. Doh :roll:

It was time to lose some layers before I headed across a bog and started the climb up Beinn Chuirn. Although it had seemed pretty impregnable from Meall Odhar, I could now see that my route wasn’t vertical after all :lol:

The Orchy hills

As I climbed higher I could see the crags above Coire na Saobhaidhe :shock:

As I made my way up the rocky spur to the right of the Coire I gained height quickly. Looking back I was already higher than Meall Odhar!

My happy snow face 8)

As I started to come out the top the snow got deeper and it was sparkling in the sunshine. A perfect winter day :D

I made my way easily along the ridge, crunching my way across bogs without sinking (woohoo!) and leaving my footprints behind me :D As I neared the top I saw a couple of people :shock: I’d thought I was on my own :lol:

They asked me the exact same question I was going to ask them – “where did you spring from” :lol: Turned out they were heading down the way I’d come up (minus the Graham :lol: )

Beinn Chuirn summit :D

Leaving me to the summit, I put some extra layers as it was absolutely freezing and got the camera on the go 8) It was an absolutely perfect day and I was so happy to be out :D

Ben Lui

Ben Oss and Ben Lui

Ben Oss & Ben Dubhcraig

Loch Awe and Ben Cruachan

Ben More and pals

Ben Lui and pals

I had a wee wander around the summit, it was so cold but the views were just magical :D

The Mamores

More Mamore-y goodness :D

The Grey Corries (I think)

Struggling here but I think this could be the Easains 8)

Corrour hills

Beinn Dorain and Orchy hills

Ben Cruachan

Awesome Loch Awe

Beinn Bhuidhe & Meall an Fhudair

Ben More & Stob Binnein

Towards Cruachan again

Ben Lui again….imposing :D

I sat down and enjoyed the views and the rest of my sandwiches (which are kind of hard to eat with big gloves on :lol: ) However, it was really cold, and also quite a long way back, so I said goodbye to a hill that I’m pretty sure I’ll return to and headed along the top of the crags.

The quick way doon :shock:

It was such a great feeling to be stomping through fresh powder snow 8)

Looking back up to the summit

Shadows :D

Looking back to Ben Lui, I just couldn’t stop taking pictures!

Beinn Dubhcraig and Ben Oss

Looking down Glen Cononish

The sun crowing Lui Queen of the Southern Highlands

From reading Graeme D’s report I knew there was a route down just before the huge gash of Eas Anie, so off I merrily went….before it started getting very steep…. It was very slippery and I had a feeling that one slip (and there had been several already :shock: ) would get me down the the mine a lot quicker than I really wanted…. Time to abort!

Climbing back up, I went around the top of the huge chasm and wound my way down steep but slightly easier ground which led me down to the very familiar track about a kilometre above Cononish Farm. Boggy but probably the sensible option 8)

Looking back, Lui was still looking magnificent!

As I headed down the track, I could see back towards Eas Anie :shock:

The sun was dipping down behind the shoulder of Ben Lui

Ben Oss & Ben Lui

Beinn Chuirn from Cononish Farm – far less impressive from this angle

It was an easy walk out from here but I kept turning round for another glimpse of Lui

Fortunately I was concentrating enough on my route to remember to take the forest track rather than continue to Dalrigh :lol: But looking back to Lui for one last look….

After a few kilometres I was back at the railway crossing and my car which I had to scrape ice from the windscreen!

Driving back down the road I had to stop for this photo as the sunset started turning the hills a beautiful pink colour. A perfect end to a perfect day 8)

It seems that the Curse of Lui is well and truly broken, but winter is most definitely here and it is very welcome :D 8)

activity_2298610809.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Winter is here - wanderings in a snowy wonderland

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 pm

One day I'll make a Gorton meet :lol: .

Nice couple of hills with some decent-looking weather. I think the police were probably looking for this guy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41688015

I remember Janet mentioning him at the Glencoe meet and looks like he still hasn't been found :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 pm

malky_c wrote:One day I'll make a Gorton meet :lol: .

Nice couple of hills with some decent-looking weather. I think the police were probably looking for this guy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41688015

I remember Janet mentioning him at the Glencoe meet and looks like he still hasn't been found :?

Cannae beat it :lol: :lol:

Eek that's a shame... :? Hopefully he'll show up safe and well 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 pm

OK, I'm always slightly jealous of your hill trips, but add in snow cover and a perfect day and now I'm VERY jealous :crazy: :lol:

Amazing perfectly level snow line on the hills.

Think your Easains diagnosis is correct.

That massive gully picture is fab!

Never been to Gorton bothy, its on the list. Hopefully sans trumpeting. Though all I could see in the photos was a guitar... :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:18 am

Mal Grey wrote:OK, I'm always slightly jealous of your hill trips, but add in snow cover and a perfect day and now I'm VERY jealous :crazy: :lol:

Amazing perfectly level snow line on the hills.

Think your Easains diagnosis is correct.

That massive gully picture is fab!

Never been to Gorton bothy, its on the list. Hopefully sans trumpeting. Though all I could see in the photos was a guitar... :lol:

It was just wonderful, I'm still grinning now even after a day at work and being knocked aff my bike :lol: 8)
That massive gully was a bit too close to being my descent route for comfort :crazy: :shock: :lol:
I'll have to take up the trombone before next year :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 am

Certainly a great couple of hills for winter. Yesterday was nice, if a tad on the chilly side. Can remember wondering about the ascent route for the corbett but even in deeper snow it was OK.
Echo your sentiments about the trees and the deer fence. Think I went a little more to the west on the descent - didn't fancy your steep looking descent - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 am

Fabulous photos, looked like a good trip and great to see the snow, very jealous as we have been able to get out this weekend.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Tinman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:55 am

Another epic Jackie and more excellent photographs.

Good on you.
Tinman
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:134   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am

Winter season open! yess yesss!

There was even more white stuff further north, hopefully some of it lasts till the meet :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 am

Stunning photos, it feels like winter is here!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Jaxter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:10 pm

rockhopper wrote:Certainly a great couple of hills for winter. Yesterday was nice, if a tad on the chilly side. Can remember wondering about the ascent route for the corbett but even in deeper snow it was OK.
Echo your sentiments about the trees and the deer fence. Think I went a little more to the west on the descent - didn't fancy your steep looking descent - cheers :)

Yeah it was a bit brutal....and that deer fence...bit of an issue for vertically challenged people like myself :lol:

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Fabulous photos, looked like a good trip and great to see the snow, very jealous as we have been able to get out this weekend.

Yeah there's something amazing about a good snow day isn't there....it's so fresh and clear 8) :D

Tinman wrote:Another epic Jackie and more excellent photographs.

Good on you.

Cheers Geoff, you know me....I just cannae help myself :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:Winter season open! yess yesss!

There was even more white stuff further north, hopefully some of it lasts till the meet :D :D

Aye that was my reaction, like a child on christmas day 8) :lol:

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Stunning photos, it feels like winter is here!

Tim

It is...how long it lasts only time will tell... :shock: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:58 am

Excellent photos :D

I passed the various Police outfits shortly after you, and did think it was probably for a recently missing walker :(

I ALMOST pulled into the parking for Ben Challum but instead opted for the soul-sucking 3 hour, 35mph drive back home via Loch Earn & Crieff. Great weekend though. Poor Mark :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Excellent photos :D

I passed the various Police outfits shortly after you, and did think it was probably for a recently missing walker :(

I ALMOST pulled into the parking for Ben Challum but instead opted for the soul-sucking 3 hour, 35mph drive back home via Loch Earn & Crieff. Great weekend though. Poor Mark :lol:

Cheers JP :D Challum probably wouldn't have been too boggy actually... But I'm with you on awful drives. I hit the traffic jam down the A82, then horrific roadworks on the M8 and then half of Glasgow was shut off for the fireworks :shock: Happy days :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby litljortindan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Good views of the hills around. I get terrible problems with flaring in my new(ish) camera so quite envious of those clear shots into the sun. Didn't realise you could get waterproof socks. Maybe I should invest in some.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:46 am

litljortindan wrote:Good views of the hills around. I get terrible problems with flaring in my new(ish) camera so quite envious of those clear shots into the sun. Didn't realise you could get waterproof socks. Maybe I should invest in some.

Thanks! My new camera is amazing but I've no idea how or why the flaring is avoided :shock:
Waterproof socks are a revelation. Amazing for day 2 :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland