walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glyderau Round

Glyderau Round

Postby Photogra Scotica » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Tryfan, Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 06/10/2017

Time taken: 7

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1409m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As soon as I entered the Ogwen valley and caught my first glimpse of Tryfan I knew I’d hitherto underestimated Snowdonia. Though compact the Glyderau range are wonderfully pretty, as well as incredibly unique in their shape and geological make-up.

ImageTryfan and Llyn Ogwen from Y Garn by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr

Parking at a campsite on the A5 where I’d spend the night, the route took me along the edge of Llyn Ogwen before pushing up into the hills, pas Llyn Idwal, and then up Y Garn. The views from here back across the valley rivalled anything I’ve seen in the Lakes and much of Scotland for sheer beauty if not scale.

ImageSnowdon from Glyder Fawr by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr

From here I spend much time dawdling over lunch and attempting to get some photos of a feral goat, stalling so that I could watch sunset over the Glyders. I took my time progressing up to Glyder Fawr where I saw my first glimpse of the Snowdon range, before moving onwards to admire the truly magnificent Castell Y Gwynt. More stalling, and before I knew it the sun had disappeared behind darkening clouds and I was left in dwindling daylight.

ImageCastell Y Gwynt and Snowdon by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr

My descent was to be down the north ridge of Tryfan, which I can only say I significantly underestimated. The scrambling is at times technical and navigation is persistently perplexing, with many paths leading away from the ridge. This, combined with my solitude and the quickly-fading light, made for a less than relaxing end to the route.

ImageA Friendly Face on Tryfan by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr

Nevertheless I eventually hit the bottom of the valley again (by now it was pitch black) and made by way back through the fields to the campsite. Some lessons learned here, I’d like to think.
Photogra Scotica
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Glyderau Round

Postby dav2930 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Nice photos. A great round but better done in the opposite direction! :wink:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Glyderau Round

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:22 am

One of the great routes!

Give it a go in winter, it's stunning - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=69908

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland