walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

All alone on Wedder Law

All alone on Wedder Law

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Wedder Law

Date walked: 11/11/2017

Time taken: 3.33 hours

Distance: 11.7 km

Ascent: 692m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wedder Law Hill of the Lamb
Donald 672m
I was intending to go on a group walk today but I had a horrendous sleep, unusual for me, and got up feeling rather washed out. Rather than potentially hinder the group I decided on a solo trip to Durisdeer and go up the Donald, Wedder Hill.
I knew when I started that this was going to be hard going and it was, biorhythms or what but my body was not really up for this walk.
Lantern.jpg

The Kirk is creepy enough
BUT, in saying that, I really enjoyed the trip, despite the sweat and aching calves.
I parked at the Kirk, walked back down the road until the last house then turned left and followed the track heading to Glenaggart until you cross a burn.
Hill scar.jpg

Scarred hillside
There is an obvious estate track scarring the hill which I doubt got local planning consent. However, I knew that I was following this all the way to Wedder hill so should not complain too much.
The track twists and winds its way upwards, constantly and unrelentingly climbing for just over an hour. I was feeling it and took frequent advantage of the views to give myself an excuse to take small breathers.
Drumlanrig castle.jpg

Zoomed Drumlanrig Castle
The skies were blue and the surrounding hills just majestic in this light. Down in the lowlands fog patches had not yet cleared, Drumlanrig castle can be seen partially hidden in the gloom.
To my left the top of Black Hill appears and further behind the Lowther hills with the radar ball standing out against a blue sky instead of last weeks grey.
Radar station.jpg

Golf ball on Lowther Hill
Talking of last week I was surprised at how many partridges survived last weeks shoot, they were popping up everywhere today, particularly on the lower slopes. The scavengers were also flying; ravens, red kites & buzzards but not in the numbers of last week.
Follow the track.jpg

Straightforward track to follow
The track winds past some great named hills: Whiteside shoulder; Farthing Rig; Crookedside Hass; Blackgrain shoulder; Smuring hags; Brown Dodd, there must be great stories about these names.
It has taken me just over the hour and I am flanking Scawd Law with the track to Wedder hill straight ahead.
Wedder Hill.jpg

Wedder Hill view before descent
However the hard work is not over, there is a descent of around 300ft with a further 500ft of ascent to reach the fenceline on top of Wedder Hill. The top is on the left of the fence, just an open plateau, no cairn, a few iron posts, so 10 minutes tramping about through the moss covered all of these to ensure top covered.
Clydesdale wind turbines.jpg

Wind turbines en masse in Clydesdale
The huge wind farm down in Clydesdale is just another example of politicians destroying our landscape. Still, try your best to ignore it and take in the beautiful unspoilt areas.
Weather front over summit.jpg

Weather front coming my way
The weather had changed, now a bitter northerly wind, with winter wind fronts blowing through but luckily none descended on me.
Too cold to have lunch here so now a leisurely stroll back the same track taking in the views, map out to check future walks. Not one soul to talk to but I did think I spotted someone on top of Ballencleugh Law.
Patchwork hills.jpg

Patchwork grouse moor hills
Out of the wind I had my roll in a stunning spot looking up Glenaggart to the bothy at Kettleton Byre. Across the way the huge gully between Nether hill and Rottencraig head rather prominent along with the many partridge breeding pens and feeding areas, really tame birds bred for the slaughter.
Feeding stations on track.jpg

Partridge feeding pods all around
A final stroll back down to the car where I was happy making solo trip that was just enough today. After changing I popped into the Kirk and visited the Queensberry marbles.
20171111_134142.jpg

Queensberry Marbles
I wonder how many walkers have visited Durisdeer and never popped in, missing out big time. What a stunning place and what history the small area has.
Ascent: 2270ft (692m)
Time: 3.33
Distance: 7.27m (11.7km)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland