walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Stile, Low Visibility

High Stile, Low Visibility

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere)

Hewitts included on this walk: High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere)

Date walked: 25/07/2017

Time taken: 5.75

Distance: 15.4 km

Ascent: 893m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have finally got around to catching up on my reports from the summer, main problem being it's so long ago I can barely remember if anything of note happened :lol:

Anyway I took a bit of a chance on the forecast for this walk as the cloud base was due to be around the 700-800m mark for much of the day and on this occasion the gamble didn't pay off. The plan was to visit Scale Force and then make my way over the High Stile ridge and possibly beyond before returning to Buttermere.

I turned up on an overcast atmospheric morning which gave little cause for much optimism but as you can't control such matters it's best to just get on with it. I was fully expecting an easy stroll to Scale Force but in reality the path was rough and wet and given the still humid conditions I was rapidly uncomfortably hot. Soon enough however me and Hughie made it to Scale force so I broke the tripod out that I was lugging about and took a few shots. I didn't fancy the greasy scramble to get a closer look at the main fall so I made do with the combination of the two, perhaps another day.

A slightly misty Fleetwith Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

...and again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Buttermere woods by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Crummock Water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Breakthrough by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Crummock Water agin with the NW fells in cloud by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Towards Newlands Hause by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Gate to Scale Force by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Scale Force, lower falls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Scale Force by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Photos over with I continued up Scale Beck as the clouds started to close in. By the time I was slogging my way up Red Pike the inevitability of a viewless day had fully hit home and I must confess I wasn't enjoying the walk at this point. Perhaps I had a bit of a cold hanging about, perhaps my fitness wasn't what I thought it was or perhaps it was the humid windless conditions but I was struggling quite badly and by the time I got to the top I felt somewhat lightheaded. I took on plenty of water and had a rest alone, apart form Hughie, in the thick mist before heading off into the gloom.

Another higher fall in Scale Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Scale Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Following the path up Scale Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Views going going.... by Anthony Young, on Flickr

....Gone! by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie on Red Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

There was not a lot of point in taking photos along the ridge but I've included a small collection to show the terrific varied views I enjoyed :lol: I stopped and had lunch close to High Stile summit but even food and the lack of a sustained ascent wasn't making me feel much better, I still felt off and was also unable to find any kind of rhythm to my walking. Given this it was no surprise that I made a decent effort at getting lost on the way to High Crag as the GPS trail shows below. :roll:

It was a relief to be heading down but my lack of rhythm was obviously a problem on the lose part of the descent. With this in mind my decision to take the short cut to link up with the Scarth Gap path down to Buttermere wasn't the wisest. Maybes it was dropping out of the clag that clouded my judgement but needles to say if you've never used this way before its horrible and lose and certainly not the best when you're out of sorts.

Summit views by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Winding down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Out of the clouds by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie leads the way on the horrible short cut path by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Haystacks drama by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Getting to the main path was a relief and I finally started to feel a bit better as I quickly made the lakeside and the simple walk back to the car on the fine path. This walk won't be one to live long in the memory but it was still way better than a day at work and I suppose a lesson in coping when things don't go well.

On the way down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Buttermere by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Fleetwith Edge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Gatesgarth Farm by Anthony Young, on Flickr

High Stile.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: High Stile, Low Visibility

Postby dav2930 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling so good JK. :( It did look a rather gloomy day; being in thick mist like that is enough to dampen anyone's spirits. Despite that you still managed to get some very classy and atmospheric photos, as per usual! A substantial walk too in a pretty decent time - that path up past Scale Force to Red Pike is rough going! :clap: Like the title btw. 8)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am

I'm in exactly the same state with my summer walk reports, although I seem to have spent the time running round Scotland - I'm up to date with the lakes. I've written three and a half reports in the last three and a half days and don't feel much further forward!

I found it a real toil from Scale Force up to Red Pike, and I had no excuse, I think it just is.
Some lovely atmospheric shots, but it's a shame you didn't get the views you were hoping for.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby trailmasher » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Nice one Anthony, great photos despite your lack of fitness/enthusiasm or illness :clap: :clap: well done for soldiering on especially in those damp conditions :clap: Pity about the clag as it's one of the finest ridge walks about 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:08 am

Not feeling quite right does dampen the spirits somewhat but you came away with some lovely photo's, especially the waterfalls, Buttermere is one of those places where a camera is essential, either in the valley or on the tops, fantastic scenery :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:51 pm

dav2930 wrote:Sorry to hear you weren't feeling so good JK. :( It did look a rather gloomy day; being in thick mist like that is enough to dampen anyone's spirits. Despite that you still managed to get some very classy and atmospheric photos, as per usual! A substantial walk too in a pretty decent time - that path up past Scale Force to Red Pike is rough going! :clap: Like the title btw. 8)

Cheers Dav. It was a bit disappointing especially as that's the second time I've hod no view from at least half the ridge, glad to see it wasn't just me that found Red pike rough going, that said the way up from Bleaberry Tarn is even worse!

nigheandonn wrote:I'm in exactly the same state with my summer walk reports, although I seem to have spent the time running round Scotland - I'm up to date with the lakes. I've written three and a half reports in the last three and a half days and don't feel much further forward!

I found it a real toil from Scale Force up to Red Pike, and I had no excuse, I think it just is.
Some lovely atmospheric shots, but it's a shame you didn't get the views you were hoping for.

Yes I've a whole holiday in Wales to catch up on :lol: Thanks for you kind comments regards Pics

trailmasher wrote:Nice one Anthony, great photos despite your lack of fitness/enthusiasm or illness :clap: :clap: well done for soldiering on especially in those damp conditions :clap: Pity about the clag as it's one of the finest ridge walks about 8)

Cheers TM, Its going to have to be third time lucky on High Stile I think.

martin.h wrote:Not feeling quite right does dampen the spirits somewhat but you came away with some lovely photo's, especially the waterfalls, Buttermere is one of those places where a camera is essential, either in the valley or on the tops, fantastic scenery :D
Cheers.

Thanks Martin, I always get tired and feel clapped out during a steep sustained ascent but I just didn't recover quickly on this walk like I usually do, been fine on all subsequent walks however.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland