walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Twilight Torlum trip

Twilight Torlum trip

Postby superstar_tradesman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Torlum

Date walked: 25/11/2017

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 290m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Late November, and another late afternoon hill with the boys squeezed in before it got dark! Torlum is another of those hills I’ve seen plenty of times, and even thrashed about in its western thickly-forested slopes during various orienteering races starting at Auchingarrich. But it had never really been in my sights till I realised it was a Sub—turns out it’s a lovely wee walk.

This wasn’t the most well-prepared of walks, as I’d forgotten to pack my map, and had to stop in Crieff to read GraemeD’s walk report on my phone before heading into the boonies and what I thought would be no data connection. But we did have a head torch, and plenty of chocolate biscuits, hats and gloves to share around, so figured we’d be okay for a short walk. (As it turned out, Torlum is a 4G hill, so we had no problems keeping up wth Scotland giving Australia a pasting at Murrayfield :) )

Probably not unsurprisingly, there were no other cars parked at the wide track end at Balloch Cottage, so parking was easy! The first part of the walk was a steady plod up forest roads, occasionally with a light dusting of snow, passing through a couple of gates through deer fences, then bearing N along a snowier track through some scattered trees and out onto the open hill. The final ascent to the top was very pleasant, up a narrow path clearly defined in the snow.

2017-11-25 15.55.37.jpg
Looking back to lower Strathearn from a snowy ascent route

2017-11-25 16.03.52.jpg
Setting sun behind the trees

Torlum is one of those hills almost literally on the edge of the Highlands, which meant that the summit view was pretty varied, even in the limited daylight. To the N, Ben Chonzie shivered in the snow, the lights of Crieff twinkled below us to the E, and the desolate moor to the SW had a pink halo from the dying sunlight.

2017-11-25 16.20.17.jpg
Crieff from the summit

2017-11-25 16.20.24.jpg
Ben Chonzie from the summit

A quick stop for pictures, and we turned round and retraced our steps back to the car, avoiding the patches of ice we’d noticed on the way up. The headtorch was definitely helpful for the last km or so back down the track, as the taller trees lower down made it almost completely dark. But overall, it was a great way to stretch a short early winter day.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by superstar_tradesman on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Twilight Torlum trip

Postby grumpy old bagger » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Nice report!
I like walking at dusk, love the quality of light at that time of day. It makes even the most ordinary places look magical.
I'm also enjoying discovering hills I've never even heard of - it's usually the big mountains that get all the glory, so it's nice to read about shorter walks. Especially for someone like me, who isn't into big hills in full winter conditions, so always on the lookout for a short low level walk to do in winter :)
grumpy old bagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:9
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby superstar_tradesman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:24 pm

grumpy old bagger wrote:Nice report!
I like walking at dusk, love the quality of light at that time of day. It makes even the most ordinary places look magical.
I'm also enjoying discovering hills I've never even heard of - it's usually the big mountains that get all the glory, so it's nice to read about shorter walks. Especially for someone like me, who isn't into big hills in full winter conditions, so always on the lookout for a short low level walk to do in winter :)

Agreed—and the slight thrill of being out on the hill when you know it'll be near enough dark before getting back to the car just adds to the experience :)
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:47 pm

If you follow any more Graeme D routes keep that head torch handy - you never know where he will lead you :lol: :lol:

Good wee hill this one, ages since I've climbed it but it was a regular when I was a local.

Agree with your thoughts on walking at dusk/dark. I've been out a couple of times over the last couple of weeks and planned for 6pm finishes. On a star lit night and a bit of snow on the ground it makes for great walking.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby grumpy old bagger » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 am

It's like a secret society: folk who like stumbling around in the dark :lol:

I was up Ben Lawers the other week with a friend - first time I've walked with him - and it was getting right murky on the way back to the carpark. He kept thinking about his headtorch, while I'm saying 'ach, it's nowhere near dark enough for that yet!'. He looked a bit askance (or would have done if I could see him properly) when I told him these were the light conditions I usually found myself trying to find my van in :shock:
grumpy old bagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:9
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:57 pm

There's a lot to be said for stumbling about in the dark on the hills. Very therapeutic! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland