walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Culter Fell, short loop

Culter Fell, short loop

Postby iainR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Culter Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Culter Fell

Date walked: 29/11/2017

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 7.4 km

Ascent: 510m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Culter Fell is a hill that i've done many times in various combinations with neighbouring hills but on this occasion i just wanted a workout therefore chose the most direct route up with a different but just as quick route down.
After parking at the layby near Culter Allers Farm and following a short walk along the private road which eventually leads to Coulter Reservoir i was soon at the bottom of Fell Shin, the small but steep ridge on the way to Culter Fell.
The track up Fell Shin was frozen which made the steep climb a bit easier but i still had to stop every 5 minutes to get my bearings as the low winter sun blazing in my face cut visibility down to several metres. Just over halfway up the ridge the hillside above put the sun in shadow and i could finally see the path.
Culter Allers Fm__.jpg
Culter Allers Farm

Blinding sun__.jpg
The view looking up !

Looking down Fell Shin__.jpg
Looking down Fell Shin

Fell Shin summit__.jpg
Summit of Fell Shin

Tinto from Fell Shin__.jpg
Tinto from Fell Shin

Once the small cairn on top of Fell Shin was reached the going was far easier with the normally boggy ground leading up to Culter Fell covered with ice and a light dusting of snow. The view of Tinto from here was particularly good and I soon reached the summit of Culter Fell where the conditions and visibility were excellent with superb views all round including the Moffat and Manor Hills.
Towards the summit__.jpg
Approaching the summit of Culter Fell

Culter summit__.jpg
Summit of Culter Fell

View of Broad Law__.jpg
Broad Law from Culter Fell

Chapelgill Hill from Culter Fell__.jpg
Chapelgill Hill from Culter Fell

Not wanting to hang about in freezing temperatures i followed the fence line down the steep and heathery northern slopes of the hill towards the boggy area known as Glenharvie Moss where i reached a fence junction. Following the fence heading off to the west or left of the main fence line i found myself walking over very boggy ground some of which was not that frozen or shallow as i found to my cost !
With damp and rapidly cooling feet i marched off along a path next to the fence which heads down the Tippet Knowe ridge which runs parallel with the Fell Shin ridge on the otherside of the Kings Beck Burn. With the bogs well behind me the path down was much more firm and straightforward. Where the path forks i took the faint and narrow track to the left which leads past a small woodland area and down to the road.
Tippet Knowe__.jpg
The Tippet Knowe ridge
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Re: Culter Fell, short loop

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Nice day for it. The hills down here are good for shorter winter days - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland