walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Lighiche

Meall Lighiche

Postby Coop » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Route description: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Lighiche

Date walked: 03/12/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 770m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having climbed Sgor na h ulaidh before, it was back again for Meall Lighiche. Only car at the car park and the only one when I returned. ( unless someone had scooted up Sgor na h ulaidh rather quickly). Hat off to all who have done the steep climb up to Meall Lighiche then go onto Sgor na h ulaidh. :thumbup:
It's steep enough doing either of them.
Eventually got across the stream by the wee grassy island- still got a bit wet as I slipped on the wet rocks.
Felt today that it was a lot if steepness for not a lot of height gain. Calfs were crying out at one point. Headed up the wet pathless steep slopes towards the grassy centre.

You come to the wee rocky bit where you " Go right" then up. I contoured round a fair bit before going up on the ridge line. If i was going back this way I'd get up sooner.
Views back towards Aonach Eagach were great.
Soon on the ridge line and on the 1st top - Creag Bhan- where I had a breather and a good look round.
Bidean looking menacing and fantastic as ever with a wee bit if cloud on top.
Sgorrs Dhonuil and Dhearg looking magnificent as they always do.
And so it was up to the fenceline - turn right and the wee walk go the summit. Wee bit of snow still lying but nothing to trouble you. Wee cairn on a rocky bit. Wind was picking up but i sat and enjoyed the views for 10 minutes and enjoyed the silence and peace - even with the wind.
And then decision time.
Didn't fancy going back the way I'd come. Steep and wet.
Had a look on the map and if i followed the fencline back - it would take me down to Beallach easan. It would be a tad longer and a bit rockier but not so steep.So that was it
Before i reached the Beallch I cut off and round and headed for the stream. Another stream joins the main one and just below this I got across- without getting wet again :D
Followed the path and track back. Good walk - even the detour round the "holiday cottage" - they've actually done a good makeshift path.

Seen a fair few mountain rescue teams at the ski centre on my way back. Think they were out practicing today (on exercise). Good luck to you all and hopefully you have a quiet winter

Good to be back in Glencoe again.

Cap doffed to Meall Lighiche

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland