walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Munro - Ben Lomond.

First Munro - Ben Lomond.

Postby BadEgg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 05/07/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After years of inactivity fitness wise and too much smoking I decided to try and get back into shape through walking - which lead me to attempt Ben Lomond as my first walk (probably a bit over ambitions but there you go :P).

Started off from the carpark at Rowardennan at around 13:30, managed the inital part of the walk no problem, up to the gate where you have to sign "Welcome to Ben Lomond", found the going harder from thereon in and had to stop a few times, before struggling off again. After getting to the top of a path which in my knackered confused mind had me convinced I must be near the summit, I was greeted by this sight:
SAM_0680.JPG
Who the hell put that there? I thought I was done!

I could have cried!

After finally getting to that final peak I found it expectionally hard to keep going, stopping every few steps and swearing randomly to myself.

Finally managed to drag myself to the summit at 16:50, on the plus side I had it to myself (which I understand is rare), but as for the view, well it left alot to be desired -
SAM_0682.JPG
not such a great view from the summit

Didn't stay too long at the summit as the wind was getting pretty stong and it had started to rain, the rain stopped after I got down out of the cloud and managed to have a sandwich before heading back down.
One thing I did notice on the way down though is how steep some part of the path seem compared to on the way up, was left wondering how I managed to get up them in the first place!
Seen quite a few people coming down as I was on my way up, looking pleased with themselves, made me very envious, didn't seem to be many on the way up though.

Some random pictures

-
SAM_0675.JPG

SAM_0684.JPG

SAM_0689.JPG

I have to say though that while I enjoyed the walk at the time I'm still suffering for it now, my legs are still killing me 3 days later!

Thinking about trying Schiehallion next, is this a good idea? :P
BadEgg
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: First Munro - Ben Lomond.

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:00 pm

Schiehallion is perfectly easy... but has more 'false summits' where you'll keep thinking it's just that next bit... and then finding out it isn't! :lol:

Coming down always feels worse than going up... Love your picture of the view from the summit!! :lol:

Well done anyway... and remember my mantra - "there's no such thing as an easy Munro" - keep saying that to yourself and you probably won't find it so hard. I always find mountains harder when I originally thought they were going to be a doddle - when I set off thinking they're going to be a real effort, I'm usually pleasantly surprised bow how easily I got up :D
mountain coward

Postby BadEgg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Oh I certainly realise there is no such thing as an easy munro now!
BadEgg
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:38 pm

They do get slightly easier as you get fitter though so keep at it :D
mountain coward

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Haha, the picture of the view is brilliant!
FloozySuzie

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Well done :D . Ben Lomond was also my first Munro and the weather was much the same at the top. Been up again since then on a nice clear day and the views at the top are well worth the effort. Don't know about Schiehallion but I would recommend any of the hills around Arrochar. Well done again and happy walking :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby taxi3528 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Well done, that would have cleared your lungs out :lol: . I had a similar excursion on Tuesday, a strange feeling being all alone on the summit.
taxi3528
Ambler

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Don't worry, they definitely get easier :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Nice first report Badegg and some nice pictures. That certainly sounded painful. Do you do any walking? It might be useful to go for a 3 or 4 mile flat walk during the week to help you build up to the hill walking. Doesnt have to be hard. Good luck on Schehallion if you choose that as your next munro. :D
monty

Postby Hantswalker » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Well done. No better way to get fit.

I have an identical picture of the view from the summit - did you hack my photo database? Still, we both have reasons to go back.

Arrochar Alps - really good but very steep.
Hantswalker
Hill Bagger

Munros:267   Corbetts:12
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby BadEgg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:40 pm

monty wrote:Nice first report Badegg and some nice pictures. That certainly sounded painful. Do you do any walking? It might be useful to go for a 3 or 4 mile flat walk during the week to help you build up to the hill walking. Doesnt have to be hard. Good luck on Schehallion if you choose that as your next munro. :D

Nah I've never been a walker up until last week, after passing my driving test last November I have spent alot of time driving around loch Lomond, after a few of months of threatening to climb Ben Lomond I finally went for it.

But that idea of flat walking is probably a good idea before I try another munro although my six year is now screaming he wants to climb a mountain with me, so hopefully he'll accept Conic hill as a mountain :D

No Hantswalker I didn't hack your photo database, I'm sure there are many of us who have that exact picture from the summit :lol:
BadEgg
Munro compleatist

Postby Derek T » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:12 pm

BadEgg,

I was like you about six months ago. Didn't walk up a kerb if I could help it and completely unfit. I then started putting the effort in to prepare for my walk up the West Highland Way (next week) and feel much better for it. My legs still hurt but not nearly as much as they did at the beginning. I was up Conic Hill last weekend and it is a good place to start. If it's close to you get yourself up it as often as you can and you'll start coping with it much easier in no time.

It also helps if you just change a few things about your normal daily life: walk to the shops instead of taking the car; use the stairs instead of the lift; eat salad instead of a fish suppers; stop drinking. If, like me, you manage to stick to two out of the four of those you'll be doing ok :wink: :lol:

Derek
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby BadEgg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Well I'm one up already as I don't drink anyway :lol:
BadEgg
Munro compleatist

Postby Derek T » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:32 pm

BadEgg wrote:After years of...too much smoking

OK - but you need to swap smoking for drinking in that list as I don't smoke :wink: :lol:
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby LindaB14 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:32 pm

I know the review is years old, but its the first one Google gave me :D

LOVE IT!

I love walking, I don't mind hills, I'd love to do mountains but like you my fitness needs to improve. I can manage Conic with the odd swearing and ranting that I'm gonna go back down. The other day done Drymen to Balmaha on the WHW route, then had a grand idea of following the main road back to Drymen for my car - note to others, just DONT! If you are doing what I done either wait for the (every 1.5 hours) bus, or just stop at the top of Conic and retrace your steps back.

I'm gonna tackle Ben Lomond next week, been on my to do list for a while and this review has really helped, and reminded me that it can be a long slog and many "oh good I'm there! sh*t I'm not..." moments.
LindaB14
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland