walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lakes Wild Camp - Angle tarn and High Street

Lakes Wild Camp - Angle tarn and High Street

Postby bargee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brock Crags, High Street, Rest Dodd, The Knott, Thornthwaite Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: High Street, Rest Dodd, Thornthwaite Crag

Date walked: 17/11/2017

Time taken: 20

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 910m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A mad plan for me after finding out I had a free weekend and rather than the usual day walk around the South Pennines, I thought why not pack my bag and drive up to the lakes straight from work in Manchester and wild camping to get an early start early and already high on the fells.

First stage was scuppered when I overslept and didnt get my bag packed to take to work, Then work overran and I only got away at 5.30pm than the expected 4.30pm, a jaunt back over the pennines to home in Huddersfield, throw my kit together and was on the M62 by 6.30 pm,

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My chosen camping spot was one i'd seen in the daylight a year or so ago, so i was confident i could navigate to it from memory along the excellent paths up to Angle tarn below Angletarn Pikes.

With the late start I parked up in Patterdale outside the White Lion at 9pm and was on my way with head torch on over the river and along the lane to find the bottom of the diagonal path up to Boredale Hause.

The night was still and dry as I slogged up the hill and then a pair of eyes ahead, then another above and another and there were at least 6 or 7 deer watching me and moving further up through the braken above me. No-one else seen apart from the occasional car hurtling along the A592 in the valley bottom.

Bordale Hause was reached surprisingly quickly i thought it was higher, but knew i was tehre as the slope widened out and i saw a couple of valve covers in the grass. The breeze also increased to being quite strong as I crested the rise.
This point was where I knew i could go wrong in the dark and end up on the wrong path heading over to Martindale, but my memory was good and i crossed the beck and climbed upwards on a familiar path.
Rounding the corner the wind steadily increased until I was contouring along below the Angletarn pikes looking down in to Patterdale and being blown by the gusts, the worst bit was rounding the small crag at Dubhow Brow but after that i was in the lea of the hill and the wind dropped, this bode well for a good nights sleep.

descended to near teh tarn and found a flat short grassed area right on the path that i had rememebred, and set up camp, Tent up and inside by 10.30pm, an hour an ahalf since parking up, 2 miles and 1000ft higher.

No photos of the night climb but it was fun and ill remember it for a long time,

But heres the next morning
Imageangle tarn

As I emerged from my slumber with a cold nose and crawled out of the tent there were two deer on the hillside behind me grazing but their heads shot up and they headed out of sight, I brewed up and had y can of beans and sausages and lay in the tent door enjoying the quiet and read my book, relaxing, but that ate away at the early start I had been aiming for so it was 9am before i was packed up and headed round Angle tarn heading for the first Wainwright of the day at Brock Crag.
Image Angle Tarn
ImageImage
Imagethe green patch on the lower left was my camp spot for the night

ImageI dumped my bag by the wall to walk over to Brock crag without the weight and had this great view of Grey Crag and Hayeswater nose on.

ImageTop of Brock crags with Brothers water below

Imagethe view of some of the way ahead with the knott, and High street above Hayeswater

Imagelooking back over Angle tarn with Angle tarn pikes and Place Fell beyond

I returned to my bag and heaved it onto my back and set off along Satura crag and then up the slopes of Rest Dodd. i considered the detour along the ridge to the Nab but decided to leave that for another trip up here and continued up to the top of my second Wainwright of the day, Rest Dodd, thats it climbed and from now on will use the detour path round its base.

ImageRest Dodd from Brock Crag

Imagefrom the slope of Rest Dodd, from left to right; Brock Crag, Satura Crag, Angletarn with Angletarn pikes behind and on the right Place Fell

Image Summit cairn of Rest Dodd with High Raise behind

ImageBargee gasping for air on the top of Rest Dodd, (My best Hill Face)

From Rest Dodd I followed the path off the top and descended steeply following the wall and then straight up the other side, heading for the Knott, still following the wall, steep it was, until i met the main Coast to coast track and followed that round to the back of the top of the Knott, and the top was easily gained from the track.

ImageLooking back at Rest Dodd from the top of the Knott.

From the Knott its an easy walk along the ridge to High street and then Thornthwaite crag. On the ridge there were several blokes on quad Bikes and they were yelling, then it became apparent there was a Hound trail race on as a pack of hounds came up the side of the crag and ran past me, I would see them on and off throughout the rest of the day running up and down the steep sides of grey crag and high street, I hope they got home eventually but they weren't phased by the perilously steep slopes.

ImageRiggindale
the roman road up high street

ImageThornthwaite crag is just another top of High street but a cracking viewpoint looking southwards.

ImageThe view of Windermere from Thornthwaite crag

I joined several people having a break at the tower cairn and enjoyed the view. then off downhill, very very steeply, not an enjoyable descent to Threshthwaite Hause then down into the valley heading to Hartsop, again taken carefully as my legs were tired and with the full rucsac, Not hill fit. Glad to be down and on flat paths, and ease the aching legs.

Imagethe steep descent off Thornthwaite crag down a scree slope

ImageThe Pature Beck looking towards Hartsop and Ullswater beyond where my car is, still a way to go

ImageWindermere from Threshwaite Hause.
ImagePasture Beck looking back at Thornthwaite crag
ImageMade it down and having a break before the walk back through Hartsop village and walk back along the main road to Patterdale.

Good circuit and enjoyable night out under canvas. and 4 new Wainwrights for me.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: Lakes Wild Camp - Angle tarn and High Street

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Brilliant place for a wild camp - indeed: brilliant place full stop.

I reckon I'll try this (there might be a club for wild camping at every single angle tarn in the LD....)!

Some great pics - I especially like the one of Windemere from Threshthwaite Mouth.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Nice one, a great place to be night or day 8) Great walk, report and pics after a peaceful night on the fell. :clap:
Pleased that you saw some deer as they are hard to catch a sight of around the tarn in daylight :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby bargee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Brilliant place for a wild camp - indeed: brilliant place full stop.

I reckon I'll try this (there might be a club for wild camping at every single angle tarn in the LD....)!

Some great pics - I especially like the one of Windemere from Threshthwaite Mouth.

There is at least 33 tarns according to Google :crazy: , probably more.......interesting proposal.... thinking about Red tarn between Pike o blisco and Crinkle crags this friday, if the snow lets us get into Little Langdale.

trailmasher wrote:Nice one, a great place to be night or day 8) Great walk, report and pics after a peaceful night on the fell. :clap:
Pleased that you saw some deer as they are hard to catch a sight of around the tarn in daylight :)

Thanks Trailmasher, I saw more deer on Kidsty pike,they were running over the rise to avoid the hound trailing.
Ive seen Deer before up around Angle tarn, once you get onto the different tops of Angle tarn pikes away from the main path you can normally spot a few, plus saw some more high up on grey crag as I walked down alongside Pasture Beck back to Hartsop.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland