walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More (inc. the Barns of Bynack)

Bynack More (inc. the Barns of Bynack)

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 03/07/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 978m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 03/07/2010
Title - Bynack More (inc. the Barns of Bynack)
Route - Glenmore Lodge - Ryvoan - Summit - Continue downhill to the Barns. Retrace steps to return.
Weather - A bit windy. Avoided some passing showers. Hazy.
People - Me / Col / J
Time - 7.5 Hours
Distance - 23.1km
Ascent - 978m
Max Altitude - 1090m

A generally poor forecast for most areas over this weekend put us in the Cairngorms on the Saturday, hopeful of staying dry but expecting a bit of a wind blasting. On the day we considered ourselves lucky not to get rained on and the wind wasn't much of a problem given the directions we were walking - it also helps that Bynack More offers plenty of spots for shelter. During the ascent I was recalling Graeme and Kev's epic back in March on this hill - unaware at that very moment Graeme was in the middle of another even bigger epic!

It was a great day out - my pals were out for the first time this year and the route offered nothing in the way of difficulty. We detoured for a coffee in Ryvoan Bothy on the way out - 2 of us have been before and noticed they've built a sleeping platform there now. It's a fairly easy walk up and steepens for the final push up the rocky N ridge of Bynack More - looks harsher than it is - I took on some optional easy scrambling but there's paths all the way. We continued on from the summit to the Little Barns and then East slightly more downhill to the larger Barns of Bynack - massive chunks of granite - excellent features, great shelter, and a perfect lunch spot. From there we contoured round the hill under the summit and picked up the path to retrace our steps back. I'd highly recommened going for a look at the Barns if your on this hill.

Bynack More 03-07-2010 track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bynack More 03-07-2010 route profile.jpg

We started from the end of the road beside Glenmore Lodge. A nice wander through the forest to begin - soon enough reaching Lochan Uaine.

Further up the path we took a half km detour to Ryvoan Bothy, complete with new sleeping platform

We went back down the path from the bothy, soon turning E along the path toward the bridge to cross the River Nethy.

Looking back NW to Meall a' Bhuachaille

Loch a' Gharbh-choire

Strath Nethy pass

The path climbs up onto the large N shoulder of Bynack More, further up veering right toward the summit.

On 818 top approaching final section of N ridge

Looking back

Approaching Bynack More summit

Summit

We continued South to the Little Barns

Looking into the Central Cairngorms

Little Barns

From here we went East and more steeply downhill for a short section toward the Barns of Bynack

The gap

Looking back from inside the gap

The other side of it

We went inside the Barns through the gap in the middle of this pic - inside it's like a small maze of slopes and elevated platforms - great fun for a climb around!

Lunch spot

After lunch we retraced our steps to return, although briefly contouring around the hill on the E side of the summit before rejoining the path to descend.

S into the Lairig an Laoigh

Descending N ridge

Glancing back to Bynack More summit. Bynack Beg on right

Approaching bridge to cross River Nethy

All that remained was a nice walk back through the forest, sun shining, too breezy for flying insects, perfect :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Bynack More (inc. the Barns of Bynack)

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:42 pm

HighlandSC wrote:I'd highly recommened going for a look at the Barns if your on this hill.

You hear that Kev?!?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously HSC, a nice wee report. I'll always read Bynack More accounts now with a little more interest following our March encounter with this hill. Looks like you did well to get through the day without encountering any showers (or flying insect life!) :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Must be one of the easier 'Gorms Munros Graeme, if you catch it right :lol:

Glad you went to the Barns HighlandSC, the highlight of the hill for me. They look especially impressive from the Lairig an Laoigh far below.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby skuk007 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Nice report and pictures. I'd never heard of those Barns before. Must admit they look interesting and definately worth a visit. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby blueyed » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:37 pm

great mountain to climb :) i thought about doing it couple of months ago but got stuck because of weather forecast and tried meall na bhuachahille (?) .. those names are so bloody difficult especially to foreigners lol
i really love those rocks :) definitely will put the mountain in my schedule for this 'summer' :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby monty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:29 pm

Good report HSC,
Love the pictures especially those of the Barns of Bynack. I was up that way last Tuesday. :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 am

Jeezo - it looks a different hill from the one Graeme and I did in April. The barns are seriously impressive. A must-do on a summers day methinks.

Cracking photos.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:12 am

I loved that walk when I did it - nice and easy and non-threatening (as I've found all the Cairngormic stuff) :D Love your pics of 'the Barns'. As I'm not going to be submitting a walk report on them, hope you don't mind me adding me sole pic of The Barns on here...
Barns of Bynack.jpg
mountain coward

Postby mojomcl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:54 pm

EXCELLENT report and photos, thanks so much. Thinking this looks easy and safe to navigate, and is looking very much like my first Munro..... :D
mojomcl
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Enjoy :)
In good visibility it's definitely easy enough for navigation. Well worth continuing on past the summit to the Barns like we did, before returning the same way.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Great stuff HSC and close enough to me to be of interest, I've never come across those 'barns' before and fancy a peek....or a peak :roll: ha ha - they remind me of the 'city of rocks' state park in New Mexico similar size and just randomly poking out of nowhere....maybe you could drop in there on your way to the Utah meet up :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mojomcl » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks again - did it yesterday :) Couldn't see a thing, so didn't go looking for the Barns :o)
Nice to have a Munro under my belt, though it didn't grab me the way my first hills did. A bit of a relief really lol lol
mojomcl
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland