walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Deuchary Hill and Perth A&E

Deuchary Hill and Perth A&E

Postby rob munbett » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Deuchary Hill

Date walked: 16/12/2017

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 443m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was driving up to Aberfeldy for a walking weekend and Christmas party when I decided the weather was too good just to drive straight up so I stopped off in Dunkeld to have a walk up this hill. I just followed the route up mentioned in so many of the reports, starting from the Cally carpark to the north of Dunkeld. The car park was like a curling rink when I set off and the track up to The Glack wasn't much better but I made reasonable time up past the Mill Dam and on to the easier walking of the track up towards the hill. I found the good path up to the summit (just after the sharp right bend - thanks for these reports) and reached the top easily but didn't linger because of the icy wind. So far so good. It was getting later on in the afternoon and everything was freezing up quickly. Then, one second i was walking, the next I had crashed to the hard ground, landing on my ribs. Having had broken ribs before, I knew immediately what had happened - the shock, the sharp pain, the difficulty taking a breath! How far was I from the car? I started the slow painful walk back. At one point, I collapsed to the ground. Fortunately, just at that point, two other walkers came by and helped me up and, each taking an arm, got me back to my car. I don't know what I would have done without these kind people. My thanks to them. Once back in the warmth of the car and a hot drink and some food inside me, I got myself to Perth A&E where my amateur diagnosis was confirmed by the professionals. No Christmas party in Aberfeldy for me, nor any exercise for a few months. maybe I should have driven straight to Aberfeldy!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Deuchary Hill and Perth A&E

Postby Graeme D » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Could have been worse - could have been your drinking arm in a sling over Christmas! :shock: Hope you are on the mend soon.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby RocksRock » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Ouch! What a shame....still you did get to the summit :wink: Maybe Santa will send an extra present to make up for the pain. Hope you'll be out and about before too long so we can have more of your TRs. Happy Christmas and Hogmanay
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:30 pm

"Breathtaking report of the month"? Hope you're not in too much pain and you're soon mended, Rob.
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:10 am

Ouch. Having done my own ribs leaving a mountain bike in an unplanned fashion, I know how much it hurts. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Bothybob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:14 pm

That was some walk out from Deuchary hill with broken ribs, hope you are back to the hills ASAP
Bothybob

Postby rob munbett » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks for all the kind comments. Just goes to show that sometimes experience, planning and equipment count for nothing. One unfortunate foot placement ..... and bad injuries can happen. I was up the hospital in paisley on Tuesday and they say it'll be about 8 -10 weeks before I'm able to 'do things' again. I'll just have to enjoy the hills vicariously by reading the reports from others.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Ouch!!!!

A track I know really well as I'm on it twice a week over the winter and spring and it can be lethal at times.

Should be there again tomorrow morning, assume it will be a bit different a week on after the increase in temperature.

Feet up and look after yourself...............
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland