walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bla Bheinn - with its head perpetually in the clouds!

Bla Bheinn - with its head perpetually in the clouds!

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 08/07/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 926m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For those of you out and about anywhere in Scotland last week – 3 to 10 July – you’ll know the weather was extremely wet to say the least. Most especially in Skye where I spent the week on holiday. From the Saturday onwards I waited and waited hoping the weather would improve – or at least for the cloud base to lift a bit above 3 feet! By Thursday I could wait no longer so decided to climb Bla Bheinn by the “tourist route” I had hoped to go via Sgurr nan Each and the Clach Glas but the viz was appalling and the winds were gale force at times. As it was I was actually, no kidding, actually blown over twice!

Anyway – I climbed Bla Bheinn and despite the conditions I rather enjoyed it. The cloud base was about 500/ 600 metres so up to that point the views were pretty good back down to Loch Slappin. Indeed the first 300 meters or so by the Allt na Dunaiche was very picture-skew. Visibility in the top half was very poor – the going was steep on loose scree – and my legs hurt. On the plus side, because the ascent was over less than 4 kilometres, it was steep but quick. Bottom to top in 2 hours 40 minutes. (1 hour 25 mins for the descent)

The weather didn’t clear until Saturday when the best of these photos were taken. The cottage we had rented was really fab and I’m hoping I can rent it again at short notice for a long weekend – just to pounce upon a reliable and favourable weather forecast. Can’t wait for the chance to climb this mountain again.

Cheers!

A
Attachments
HOL HOUSE_SKYE_JULY2010.JPG
Oor wee hoos
SKYE_JULY2010 025.JPG
Our cottage grounds gave access directly on to this wee beach and this great view of Bla Bheinn
SKYE_JULY2010 058.JPG
Loch Fionna choire and beyond down to Loch Slappin
BLAVEN SUMMIT_SKYE_JULY2010.JPG
At the summit - no point in taking a camera tripod so I just plonked the camera on the ground for this picture.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: Bla Bheinn - with its head perpetually in the clouds!

Postby Penguin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:07 am

The views from the top of Bla Bheinn are fantastic. Hopefully you'll get the opportunity to do it again, next time in decent weather! At least you managed to get out and about still, despite the weather. Looks like you had a good time anyway.

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby gaffr » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:08 am

That looks like a fine wee cottage that you had for your stay...I bet that it felt like a five star place in weather like that....the July weather in Scotland can be very unpleasant....have had many trips to the North when the hill plans were spoiled....especially in days when holidays had to be taken in July. :(
One way is to keep an eye on the forecasts and go...not so easy when you have to arrange, in advance, leave from work, a holiday place to stay etc....easier with the tent/bothy combination but that too can have it's downside :(
Just have to keep coming to the North.....fifty% sucess rate acceptable? :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:11 am

Hard luck - I don't suppose another person telling you how wonderful the views are from there is going to help :? You did well finding the route in that clag!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:50 am

Unlucky with the views :( Still a great day though I'm sure.

A timely reminder for me not to take too much of a chance. Me and some friends are on standby thinking of Skye this weekend, or more likely next weekend and Bla Bheinn's at the top of the hit list. We're in that club lucky enough to have a tent and no fixed dates - just waiting for the glorious sunshine! 8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Taraloo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Aw thats such a shame. :( I am hoping to do Bla Bheinn this weekend but looks doubtful if the weather stays the same as last weekend. Was it difficult to find the route?
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Pity about the weather but at least you got out and made a go of it. Hoping to get to Skye at some point and that wee hoose looks the business. Any chance of sending me the contact details for it? I promise I won't steal your short notice long weekend :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi Taraloo,

Was it difficult to find the route? – well sort of yes and no. I tried to follow the route in this web site and for the most part that was OK. From about 500m, from where I took the photo of the wee lochan, the going was hard on a steep scree slope and very poor viz. At about 600m (map ref 533210 to be exact) there was a bit of levelling out then all scrambling almost to the summit –not difficult or arduous scrambling but a bit of a bugger trying to find trace of a route. I found traces of a discernable path here and there but it wasn’t clear. Dead simple to find on the way down of course –doh!

Jock,

The accommodation was in Torrin and we booked through Islands & Highlands Cottages – here’s the link to the page on our cottage.

http://www.highlandholidaycottages.co.uk/isle_of_skye/17_Torrin_Elgol/index.shtml

£470 per week including fees. It was a lovely lovely house but the weather was the very definition of dreich × 10!

Cheers

Alastair
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland