walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What the Hell am I doing? - Glowing on Beinn a' Ghlo

What the Hell am I doing? - Glowing on Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:20 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 03/12/2017

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Half decent weather was forecast and I was itching to get out on the hill- the only issue was I needed to be back by midday on Sunday for family commitments… Usually Ben Vrackie meets the bill in this scenario – nice and close and can be up and down and back home without losing too many brownie points ;) However I had been up here lots in the prior two months and I fancied a wee change so set my sights on Beinn a’ Ghlo! It is a wee bit further up the road so my alarm was set awe bit earlier(ok a lot earlier!!4am ;)). I wanted to catch the sunrise from near the summit so was out and on the road for 4.30am, early but hopefully worth it!

Arriving at the muddy car park, I got kitted up and headed into the night! To be honest I was feeling pretty rough with ma flu and at this point the sky was showing absolutely zero signs for a good sunrise. In my minds eye I was imagining starry skies with a glorious sunrise, and this wasn’t happening as I headed towards Carn Liath! Heading past the hut in darkness I splodged though the extremely marshy ground at the foot of the hill before the main ascent!

It was now nearing 7am and I caught a glimmer of hope! Far off to the south east and the first signs of dawn were emerging. A slight reddening of the horizon gave me hope and a spring was again in my step! Soon the sky was starting to light up so I found a spot just off the summit and in the shelter from the strong north westerly breeze… To my delight the sunrise was perfect, the sky was pink and red and I sat feeling very smug until the colours faded as the sun rose above the horizon.

ImagePerthshire Sunrise by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

10 minutes later and before 9 oclock and I was stood on the summit fighting the wind! Getting shelter behind the summit cairn I once again watched the skies illuminate as the sun found a hole in the clouds on the horizon and put on a show illuminating the changing clouds to the south above Ben Vrackie!

ImageNessie above Ben Vrackie by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The remaining peaks of Beinn a Ghlo were shrouded in cloud so I had my fill and decided to bank my brownie points and head back. By 10am I was back at the hut at the base of the hill and once again I stopped to soak in the sunshine. Not much wind down here and even though it was winter, the sun actually felt warm. I sat and had a drink and enjoyed the mackerel cloud formations above Carn Liath- superb…

Home for 11.30 and a cuppa tea and a bacon butty were enjoyed 

ImageBeinn a' Ghlo by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Ghlo Mackrel Skies by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: What the Hell am I doing? - Glowing on Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby 2manyYorkies » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:16 pm

Thanks, I really enjoyed that, must take you ages to put all that lot together after the hill. :clap: :clap:
I hope you can still keep posting now you're a TV star! :lol: :lol:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Wonderful as always :clap: :clap:

I didn't want to pass on my cold but sounds like you were equally ill anyway :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Beautiful, as always. As is the double bacon roll.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Your dedication to first and last light is breathtaking. Keep it up. :clap:

It was you on the telly the other day then? Great to see all the effort and dedication getting some broad recognition. Nice one.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby jackofthealps » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Brilliant video.
Many thanks for that.
jackofthealps
Walker

Munros:48   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:46 pm

2manyYorkies wrote:Thanks, I really enjoyed that, must take you ages to put all that lot together after the hill. :clap: :clap:
I hope you can still keep posting now you're a TV star! :lol: :lol:

Just seeing these posts now!! Ah my 3 minutes of TV fame - I'm still waiting on a call from Holywood ;)!!lol

ATB

Murrayyyyy
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Jaxter wrote:Wonderful as always :clap: :clap:

I didn't want to pass on my cold but sounds like you were equally ill anyway :lol:

Thanks Jaxter
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Beautiful, as always. As is the double bacon roll.

The bacon roll was braw (if I remember correctl!)

have been back up here recently - vlog of summit camp coming up in a few weeks :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:48 pm

BobMcBob wrote:Your dedication to first and last light is breathtaking. Keep it up. :clap:

It was you on the telly the other day then? Great to see all the effort and dedication getting some broad recognition. Nice one.

Thanks Bob - much appreciated - just did a wild camp up here to - it was even more effort !! I did make a brief appearance on the tele a few years ago now!! sorry cant believe I never go round to reply to these messages:)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:49 pm

jackofthealps wrote:Brilliant video.
Many thanks for that.

Thanks Jack, hope you enjoyed the vlog
wilkiemurray

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland