walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Lee and a Golden Eagle

Loch Lee and a Golden Eagle

Postby KatTai » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Date walked: 03/01/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was going to head north, but the Cairn o' Mount snow gates were still closed when I checked so I had to replan and decided to head to Loch Lee. I haven't been there for ages despite living close by. Turned out to be a good choice, while not the most exciting walk-wise following the track alongside the loch and further up the glen we were overtaken by a golden eagle! Unfortunately I had the wrong lens on my camera (wide angle), so there was a bit of cursing as I quickly switched lens but by this point the eagle had disappeared landing somewhere amongst some trees. The eagle though was a bit forgiving of the lens error, as we continued along the track he took to the sky again and flew right overhead!

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

We turned and headed back not long afterwards, spotting the eagle again circling a nearby hill on the way.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Loch Lee and a Golden Eagle

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Fabulous!

Looks big enough to make the dogs nervous!!! :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Great Eagle photos :clap: :clap: . People say that they're difficult to distinguish from buzzards, but i've never seen all the individual primaries like that on a buzzard. Loch Lee is a bit of a hidden gem. We finished the Cross Scotland walk this way a few years ago: starting the day camped by the the Mounth road we descended the wonderfully named "Shank of Inchgrundl" to Glen Lee and then Glen Mark in bright sunshine :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby KatTai » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Fabulous!

Looks big enough to make the dogs nervous!!! :lol:

Moss never even noticed it, I was watching it circling the hill and she was looking up to try and see what I had spotted but birds don't interest her :lol:

past my sell by date wrote:Great Eagle photos :clap: :clap: . People say that they're difficult to distinguish from buzzards, but i've never seen all the individual primaries like that on a buzzard. Loch Lee is a bit of a hidden gem. We finished the Cross Scotland walk this way a few years ago: starting the day camped by the the Mounth road we descended the wonderfully named "Shank of Inchgrundl" to Glen Lee and then Glen Mark in bright sunshine :D

Yes, there was no doubt when I saw him flying past us the size alone gave it away! At a distance it's more difficult, but not when they are that close :lol: I should go up more often, maybe I will given this is the second time I've seen a Golden Eagle up that way!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby tigerburnie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:06 pm

A favourite haunt of mine, I too have pictures of this bird, I do hope it and it's partner are allowed to flourish in relative peace.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland