walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

garmin gps manual questions

garmin gps manual questions

Postby annaguy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 pm

I have 2 questions on garmin oregon 750 gps. I have never used that kind of electronic equipment before so most likely i am asking obvious stuff:
1. when i downloaded my route using base camp web side to the gps and want to view it on the map it somehow shows a lot of lines like if it wanted to join it from the main road and travel form home . it stays even when i get to the actual route in the hills and i can't see anything just the whole map is full of magenta lines.
2. where does the blue direction arrow on the map points to? i seems to pointing to some mysterious place all over the show excepct the direction i am heading (maybe i have to set it somehow...)?
thank you for anybody pointing me at the right direction as i am not very fluent with electronics...
annaguy
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:129
Fionas:61   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:18   

Re: garmin gps manual questions

Postby larry groo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 pm

1. You need to set the routing in Basecamp to "Direct" (You'll find this in the top left corner of the application as a drop down menu.)

2. This will be solved with the above.

Now when you plug the unit back in, you will see that all the routes are as you had planned them. If not you may have to resend to the unit using Basecamp.
larry groo

Postby Water Gypsy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:31 pm

Instead of setting it as a "route", change the setting to "track". the route will assume you're going by car,hence all the lines.
Also set your navigation to "track up"
Water Gypsy
Ambler

Postby annaguy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Thank you guys. I changed the setting as you advised and it worked perfectly. Great help thanks again.
annaguy
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:129
Fionas:61   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:18   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk