walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

2017 - a year in pics

Re: 2017 - a year in pics

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:53 pm

I agree, this topic is a great idea but a word of warning... I spent ages choosing then adding images to a post for this the other night, saved as draft half way through, then the next day when I went to open my draft I got the message "You can no longer edit or delete that post."

I contacted Paul and unfortunately there was nothing he could do to retrieve the lost draft, even though it was in my drafts, none of the content had saved. The forum doesn't have any options for different draft settings so it may have been a one-off but if you are posting to this topic, make sure you do it in one go and don't save a draft to go back to just in case you get the same problem I did. :(
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:58 pm

I
Chris Mac wrote:I agree, this topic is a great idea but a word of warning... I spent ages choosing then adding images to a post for this the other night, saved as draft half way through, then the next day when I went to open my draft I got the message "You can no longer edit or delete that post."

I contacted Paul and unfortunately there was nothing he could do to retrieve the lost draft, even though it was in my drafts, none of the content had saved. The forum doesn't have any options for different draft settings so it may have been a one-off but if you are posting to this topic, make sure you do it in one go and don't save a draft to go back to just in case you get the same problem I did. :(

If in doubt, I do my reports or things like this in Word first, and just paste them straight in when done. This allows me to save as a draft safely. I normally triple return between images/text to get the spacing to work well. This assumes you're hosting on Flickr etc, not uploading direct.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby litljortindan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Mal Grey wrote:In terms of trips, I’ve had an amazing year, some astonishing places, and some great times with friends in the wilder places of Scotland, France, Scandinavia and Darkest South East England.

Gorges du Tarn looks some place.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby litljortindan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Sgurr wrote:I've been tying up ends on the Marilyn front. Now need ones in Pairc, Taransay and Pabbay,
and I guess I will never finish as am too much of a feartie for the St. Kilda sea-stacks....but it's been good while it's lasted.

Certainly managing to get around there. Wouldn't fancy bumsliding towards the Antlantic though.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:32 am

January
A superb long weekend starting with Sgor Gaoith on Friday, taking in the Beinn Deargs and Am Faoch... near Ullapool and ending with Maol Chean-Dearg and a night in the excellent Coire Fionnaraich bothy.

February
Quiet month on the hill front, a combination of laziness and pish weather. Nipped up the nearby Airlie Monument one clear night and luckily got the northern lights.

March
Probably my most memorable hill trip ever. Walked in from Kilmarie to camp next the summit of Skye's Sgurr na Stri, surely one of the UK's finest viewpoints.

April
A quietish month as I trained for my first cycle event, the Etape Loch Ness. Managed to do it on the only day in the entire week where the weather wasn't horrific. Hillwise, started it with a quick jaunt up the Loch an Daimh pair and finished it on the magnificent Beinn Damh.

May
May began with a full week of glorious weather in Torridon, during which Beinn Eighe, Beinn Alligin, Moruisg, Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, Sgorr Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mhor were climbed. The highlight though was the magnificent Liathach.

June
Apparently nothing at all happened in June. No hills and no photos :lol:

July
This was a great month, kicked off with Spiderwebb's compleation in absolutely mental conditions on An Teallach, with further trips to the Mamores, a repeat of Sgor Gaoith (+ the other one) and a return to Culra, to pick up Alder and BB. Had to repeat the other 4 with my pals the first day then got a massive whammy of manflu so had to miss the hills i'd come for. Thought I was going to die on the cycle out. Horrific.

August
Another productive hill month with the White Corries pair being done, my favourites though were the Ballachulish horseshoe. Sgorr Dhonuill in particular was magnificent.

September
Got to my 200th munro on a clagged out Grey Corries ridge (Sgurr Choinnich Mor). Other highlights included the magnificent Quinag during the first week of our usual fortnight up north. These are edged out though by a pair of Grahams, Ben Mor Coigach and Sgurr an Fhidhleir. A short, but utterly sensational hillwalk.

October
The weather made October largely forgettable, the second week of our holiday in Torridon consisted almost entirely of gales and driving rain, however towards the end of the month I caught a good forecast and cycled into Culra for the third time to climb Ben Alder and Beinn Bheoil.

November
Started November with a climb of Carn a'Chlamain before heading to the now annual bothy night in Gorton, although I'd f***ed the bike on the way into CaC meaning I had to walk into and out of Gorton. Later in the month the first proper snows came and I had a tough but enjoyable outing on Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas in the snow.

December
No hills in December other than wee A'Bhudenheach Bheag which I just climbed direct from the A9. Four hours in the car for 2 hours on the hill :lol: Highlight though was a wee photo trip to Loch Tulla before heading to Glencoe.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 am

I'd start dragging myself up the Munros again if I could get photos like that.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:20 pm

2017 was a year in which I managed to get a lot more walks in than in previous years. :D

Jan 2017
A frosty, perfectly clear day on Helvellyn and friends – the start of a renewing acquaintance with the Lake District.

Feb 2017
A Blencathra-Skiddaw round of 12 on a clear & VERY cold day.
Image20170209_075837.

March 2017
Several expeditions, a round of the wonderland that is the Rhinogs being probably the most memorable…
Image20170326_134353.

April 2017
A wintery round of the 5 Glen Orchy munros, plus some Corbetts and tops was great….
Image20170417_111523 labelled.
…but the real highlight was camping in the shadow of Crib Goch on the little island in Llyn Glas with my grandson, and then doing Yr Wydffa, Carnedd Ugain and Crib Goch with him afterwards.

May 2017
Holidayed in Tenerife, where I ascended Teide, and did quite a few walks in the little know Anaga area, which is quite superb.
However the high- perhaps, heat-light was getting Barbecued on the Mamores round…. It was hard to credit that Scotland could be so hot!

June 2017
No new expeditions in June, though brother Frank and I did a round of the Snowdon Horseshoe. But we took a family holiday in Germany (Cochum on the Mosel). Very picturesque - quite a revelation.
Image 20170610

July 2017
Similarly I didn’t seem to do much in July, though the one I did do - a round of the Arenigs - provided a solid challenge!
Image20170702

August 2017
Under normal circumstances the highlight of the month would have been a round of the Ben Alder Munros….
Image20170809
Image20170808

But really the number one experience was a wild camp beside Llyn Hywel in the Rhinogs with my grandsons, my brother and his granddaughter.

Sept 2017
The highlight of September was my first WH Meet (albeit informal), and a great walk round some of the smaller hills in Snowdonia.
Image20170901

Oct 2017
The most memorable walk of October was a round of Hewitts in the Cadair Idris area, not least because I saw my 2nd Brocken Spectre. :D
Image20171027_082759.
Image20171027_093447.

Nov 2017
I explored the Howgills for the first time during the month, but the high point was the WH meet at South Laggan, where I met lots of folk I only knew via WHRs, as well as some old friends; and got in 3 walks in superb winter conditions, one with malky_c. This latter was particularly memorable because there was a point when he showed signs of being a wee bit chilly, something hitherto unheard of in connection with a man that cycles through winter blizzards in shorts. :lol: .
Image20171111_122943.

Dec 2017
A short break in the otherwise rather unencouraging weather motivated me to get up to the Highlands in mid-December. The walk around the Loch Earn Munros and Corbetts was memorable, both from the spectacular character of the views, and the sheer physical exertion required. I don’t think I’ve been so exhausted since I did the Mullardoch Round.
Image20171215_091512.
Image20171215_113031.
Image20171215_133211.
Image20171215_150410.

All in all a superb year, and now that I’m retired I should be able to get up into the Highlands more often. :thumbup: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Thought what a good place to camp in the Rhinogs when we went there. What lovely photos.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:57 am

Sgurr wrote:I'd start dragging myself up the Munros again if I could get photos like that.

Those were the lucky outings. I have plenty of clag, grey skies and approaching rain clouds (unfortunately) :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:23 pm

2017 was a mixed stop/start year for me that certainly had some highlights.

January

A Great start by climbing Roseberry Topping to watch the sun come up.

ImageSugar Coated by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A trip to the Lakes for the Lakes for some snow and clag was also a nice outing

ImageSketch of a Fell Top by Anthony Young, on Flickr

February

February's only proper walk was in the Loweswater fells which gave some fine views to the higher snowier peaks.

ImageLow Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageInsurgent by Anthony Young, on Flickr

March

March saw a real highlight for the year as spring snows came to the Lake District and me and Hughie were lucky enough to enjoy them while traversing Glaramara.

ImageSnow in Springtime by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards Landgale from Glaramara by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie backed by the Coniston Fells by Anthony Young, on Flickr

April

April started with a rare full family outing to the Lakes to take in a couple of the small fells above Grasmere.

ImageLooking down to Langdale and Youdel from Lang How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I then won pic of the month :D with this shot which also became my most succesful image on Flickr so far.

ImageShadow Play by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We finished with a weekend in the South Lakes where we made it up a couple of outlying fells, Black Combe and Muncaster Fell

ImageBlack Combe Panorama by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLaid back wall by Anthony Young, on Flickr

May

May saw the bagging of Baugh Fell in t'dales during a dry spell, still managed to nearly get stuck in a bog however!

ImageKnoutberry Haw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

At the end of the month it was off to Bonnie Scotland for a stay in Poolewe which had highlights including a fine evening on the shores of Loch Maree, an amazing sunrise at Mellon Udrigle, a trip up to the stunning view point of Sgurr an Fhidhleir and best of all climbing the mighty An Tealach on a perfect day.

ImageHighland Evening by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSunrise at Mellon Udrigle by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking Back in Time by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFamily summit shot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

June

June saw us finish our holiday with a walk up to Coire Mhic Fhearchair.

ImageHughie exploring by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Before a birthday treat in the Borders with a perfect day exploring the Eildon Hills

Hughie on Wester Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

July

July was a good month with Trips to the Far Eastern Fells and Wild Boar fell,

ImageBonscale Tower by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYoadcomb Scar with Ingleborough and Wernside by Anthony Young, on Flickr

and mixed weather in the North Yorks Moors, High Stile Ridge and South Lakes.

ImageRiders on the Storm by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBreakthrough by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAnd another shot of the camera magnets by Anthony Young, on Flickr

August

In August we headed off to Wales for some great days out as a family on the Moelwyns, Tryfan and the Eastern Glyders.

ImageMoel-yr-Hydd and Blaenau Ffestiniog by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFor the Love of Rock by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking up the Ogwen Valley from Foel-goch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

September

September saw my last proper hill outing of the year :( where I picked up a niggling thigh injury on the way down Cockup following a very windy wander over Skiddaw and friends.

ImageEpic Hughie shot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

October

No hills this month but a few trips out with the camera with mixed results

ImageThe Night Comes Down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTry Not to Breathe by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageElevation by Anthony Young, on Flickr

November

I did manage to get up the Calf in the Howgills in november even though I'd only planned a sunrise shot of Cautley Holme Beck.

ImageHolme is where the Heart is by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Life by the Drop by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A couple of more sunrise shoots at Low Newton in Northumberland and Cliff Rigg completed the month.

ImageA Dream for the Broken and Lost by
Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRose Gold by Anthony Young, on Flickr

December

Not a lot to say about December, roll on 2018!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 pm

I am mildly annoyed that I have spent hours getting myself down to one picture per month, and no one else has bothered! :)

January
I started the year with a short walk in the Pentlands, but my first real adventure was to the Cumbria Coast, first around Ravenglass, and then Arnside and Grange.

aIMG_2481.JPG

February
A quiet month, but I did climb Lamington Hill in the Clyde valley, on a day full of clouds.

aIMG_2804.JPG

March
Another quiet month - I had a lingering bug for most of it - but it ended with a trip across the Borders on a day more like May or June.

bIMG_1414.JPG

April
April began in the far west of the Lakes, but the real excitement of the month - and my year - was eight days on the Cleveland Way.

DSC00619.JPG

May
The big trip of this month was my only Munro of the year, Carn a' Chlamain on what possibly turned out to be one of the best days of the summer - but for an iconic picture of May, it has to be a flying visit to Tarbert in bluebell time.

DSC01185.JPG

June
Back to the Lakes, this time over Low Fell and Fellbarrow to Buttermere, then on by way of Hen Comb and the High Stile ridge to Black Sail.

DSC01270.JPG

July
A busy month with other things, but I walked the John Buchan Way at the start of the month, and the first part of the Cowal Way towards the end.

DSC01564.JPG

August
A slightly accidental Corbett and another trip to the Lakes, but the highlight was definitely getting to Skye for the first time in years, although the biggest hills I climbed were the two Storr Grahams.

DSC01963.JPG

September
The last Lakes trip of the year, a long weekend including Great Gable, Kirk Fell, Pillar, Red Pike and Yewbarrow, although none of them by very exciting routes (except maybe the descent to the nose of Yewbarrow!)

DSC02335.JPG

October
A month intended for other things, mostly the Waverley, although it did include my second Corbett of the year when her Clyde sailings were cancelled and I took a ferry trip to Arran instead. But my first trip abroad of the year saw me in Gibraltar, walking all over the rock as well as down to Europa Point for sunrise.

DSC03034.JPG

November
Another month full of other things, but I did start the Berwickshire Coastal Path.

DSC03413.JPG

December
The second half of the Berwickshire Coastal Path, and then the year ended more or less where it had begun, back on the Cumbria Coast - this time around Whitehaven and St Bees Head, and Ulverston.

DSC03859.JPG
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:41 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:2017 was a mixed stop/start year for me that certainly had some highlights....

Fabulous sequence of pics, most of which I remember from the WHRs in which you first published them - some literally breathtaking. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can you better these in 2018...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:2017 was a mixed stop/start year for me that certainly had some highlights....

Fabulous sequence of pics, most of which I remember from the WHRs in which you first published them - some literally breathtaking. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can you better these in 2018...???

Thanks Alte, my aim is always to try and get better but so much is about striking lucky with the light. It'll be a while before I see another morning like the one on Mellon Udrigle beach however, the photos I took didn't even come close to doing it justice.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Sgurr wrote:...

Mal, you can do any combination of photo montages on this site. Have great fun with it

https://pixlr.com/express/

Thanks for this tip, Sgurr. Tried and used the app in my post.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby Brian Mcculloch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:54 am

Some spectacular images from the last year. Kudos to all.
Brian Mcculloch
Hill Bagger

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes