walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr na Ciche Munros Loch Arkaig

Sgurr na Ciche Munros Loch Arkaig

Postby shaun moffatt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:46 am

Route description: Sgùrr na Cìche: 3 Munros from Loch Arkaig

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Date walked: 13/07/2010

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 26 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dear all,
What a day, second time out walking Munro's. Possibly bit off more than I could chew.Everything about this expedition is long and drawn out, from the seemingly never ending drive down Glendessary to the walk in,to the excruciating even longer walk out.The stunning tops and views just about make up for the tortured limbs.It may sound like I'm moaning quite a lot but you can't feel the pain in my knees this morning.
DSCF0335.JPG
On the walk in

Now I'm over the hysteria I've had time to reflect on what an awsome part of the world I was priveledged to experience yesterday and despite the hardship I can't wait to go again. Heres a few pictures I hope they give you the gist of what I'm saying and encourage you to take on this challenging long day in the wilderness.
DSCF0348.JPG
Awsome view.
DSCF0366.JPG
Tricky scrambling.
DSCF0369.JPG
Partners in crime Neil, Willy and Brian.

To end on a slightly more serious note this is very remote country with mostly bad conditions underfoot, the scrambling sections are definately tricky to say the least. However the walk will fill you with a great sense of achievment if you pull it off but I guarantee you will be exhausted!
shaun moffatt
Mountaineer

Munros:7   

Re: Sgurr na Ciche Munros Loch Arkaig

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Well done - that's really quite an effort for your second ever Munro walk. :D

It nearly finished me off when I did it a few years ago (seem to remember too late / tired when I got back to Fort William that I just went to sleep - no meal or anything :lol: ).
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Well done Shaun, that's some effort. :thumbup:

Paul Webster wrote:It nearly finished me off when I did it a few years ago (seem to remember too late / tired when I got back to Fort William that I just went to sleep - no meal or anything :lol: ).

Sounds like me the other week after the South Glen Shiel Ridge. By the time I got home I was too far gone and sleep took priority. Luckily I woke with enough energy to walk down the hill to a cafe in the morning for the biggest breakfast on the menu!
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Yes, after something like that one of the great pleasures is eating throughout the following day :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:50 pm

8) A bit of Knoydarty goodness - such a great area to walk 8)

Nice report :D
kinley

Postby walk aboot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 pm

Awesome view right enough, Shaun - doesn't sound like it's put you off either 8) , despite the ouch knees :? .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby shaun moffatt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:41 am

Still feeeling the legs today but really fancy Ben Klibreck next, would be grateful for a heads up. Cheers Shaun : :D
shaun moffatt
Mountaineer

Munros:7   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 pm

walk aboot wrote:Awesome view right enough, Shaun - doesn't sound like it's put you off either 8) , despite the ouch knees :? .

If anything, it sounds like it's encouraged him even more. Good effort Shaun - as Paul says, quite an expedition for only your second Munro outing. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 pm

Well done - like your thinking, get the long ones out the way first eh! :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 am

Yeah - helluva walk for your second set of Munros!! We hit the fish and chip shop in Ft. Bill when we got back and ate loadsa junk food - was great! But then it was our end of Munroing-week celebration :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland