walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bowfell via Esk Hause

Bowfell via Esk Hause

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:20 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Esk Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Esk Pike

Date walked: 27/12/2017

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A post-Christmas walk in perfect snowy conditions!

We parked at the Old Dungeon Ghyll (free for National Trust members). Our original plan was Scafell Pike, so we got an early start. As we ascended the slopes of Rossett Gill, the early morning walk-in along Mickleden had its reward - a view back of the morning light on the Langdale Pikes.

ImageIMG_1084 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We then plodded up the last few steps of Rossett Gill over the watershed. I was surprised to see no ice on Angle Tarn. In the distance, Great End peeped out through the clouds.

ImageIMG_1113 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

On the shores of Angle Tarn.

ImageIMG_1129 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1137 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking onwards towards Esk Hause and Great End. The snow on this section of the walk slightly slowed our progress, so the (ambitious) plan to reach Scafell Pike was abandoned. We prefer a relaxing scenic walk, not a route-march - and I knew that, in these snow conditions, the boulder fields from the top of Calf Cove to the summit of the Pike would be very time-consuming.

ImageIMG_1158 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

On the bulge of Tongue Head there were some nice small ponds alongside the path. This is the view from one of them across to Clough Head and the Dodds.

ImageIMG_1163 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back from another pond towards Bowfell.

ImageIMG_1167 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view down into Langstrath.

ImageIMG_1172 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking ahead from near Esk Hause towards Pillar and Kirkfell, between the craggy slopes of Great End and Great Gable.

ImageIMG_1174 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The Esk Hause wall shelter. As Wainwright points out, the shelter is not at the true Esk Hause, which is the head of Eskdale. Rather, it is located in the shallow dip between Esk Hause and Allen Crags.

ImageIMG_1180 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Clouds on Great and Green Gables.

ImageIMG_1185 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Skiddaw, Keswick and Derwentwater from Esk Hause.

ImageIMG_1187 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A wider view.

ImageIMG_1188 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Walkers descending towards Borrowdale.

ImageIMG_1190 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking south from Esk Hause towards Duddon Sands and the sea.

ImageIMG_1191 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We started to walk up the northern ridge of Esk Pike, from where we had a view of the north-western fells.

ImageIMG_1203 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From a little higher, we had our first view down into upper Eskdale. This Eskdale side of the Scafell range is, I think, one of the grandest places in the Lake District but is little-known compared to many areas.

ImageIMG_1229 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view from the summit of Esk Pike of the Dodds, Helvellyn and Fairfield ranges. The highest summits of the High Street group can also be seen on the right-hand skyline.

ImageIMG_1241 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Scafell Pike and Ill Crag from the top of Esk Pike. Scafell Pike's huge summit cairn can be seen.

ImageIMG_1251 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view in the opposite direction from the same spot - the Langdale Pikes, and the Howgills in the distance.

ImageIMG_1254 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Ripples in the snow near the top of Esk Pike, with Harter Fell and Black Combe in the distance.

ImageIMG_1256 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking across Ore Gap to Bowfell, Crinkle Crags, Grey Friar and Dow Crag.

ImageIMG_1260 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Great Dodd, Ullscarf and Langstrath. The prominent ridge in Langstrath is Eagle Crag and Sergeant's Crag. On the slopes below Sergeant's Crag there is a curious cluster of spots which must, I guess, be sheep (can be seen by clicking on the Flickr image).

ImageIMG_1267 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking south from Ore Gap.

ImageIMG_1272 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Stickle Pike, Harter Fell, Green Grag and Black Combe from Ore Gap.

ImageIMG_1280 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The north-eastern fells and the top of Bowfell Buttress.

ImageIMG_1289 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We could see dramatic clouds gusting around the Scafells, which made us quite glad we hadn't gone there - we might have had no summit views! Below the tall cloud, the vertical face of Scafell Crag and the dip of Mickledore can just be seen.

ImageIMG_1294 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The last few steps to the summit of Bowfell.

ImageIMG_1292 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Bowfell summit.

ImageIMG_1298 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view south from the summit to Eskdale, Black Combe, Devoke Water and the sea.

ImageIMG_1315 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The clouds cleared a little from the Scafell range.

ImageIMG_1340 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We set off downhill - target was the Hikers' Bar in the Old Dungeon Ghyll! We had a final view of the sunlit Langdale Pikes, the lines of their volcanic strata from the Scafell Caldera paralleled by the Flat Crags slabs. The extraordinary geology of this area is well described at http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/pdf/GCRDB/GCRsiteaccount9018.pdf .

ImageIMG_1346 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The last light of the day on Blencathra.

ImageIMG_1350 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Bowfell via Esk Hause

Postby trailmasher » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:56 pm

Some fine, fine pics there HMHT :clap: and especially like the last one of Blencathra, it's a beauty :clap: :clap: and those blue skies are to die for, such a deep blue 8)
You were blessed with good weather and crystal clear conditions something that we don't always get :? and like you can't understand why Angle Tarn wasn't fit for ice skating on :crazy:
A great report and the ODG a great place to end a walk :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby robgraham » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Couldn't believe it when i scrolled through this report to find a shot of me and my brother descending to Seathwaite, haha! i remember seeing quite a few people around Esk Hause at that time.

Great report/pics, it was a fantastic day for it, we summited Scafell Pike from the corridor route and bagged Ill Crag and Great End on the way back down.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robgraham92/39308265232/

Here's a shot from the same day taken on Ill Crag!
robgraham
Munro compleatist

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Superb pics of what looks like a nigh-on perfect day weather-wise :clap: :clap: :clap: .

(I had a lot of clag when I did a similar round a few years ago, an missed much of the splendour).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:27 pm

robgraham wrote:Couldn't believe it when i scrolled through this report to find a shot of me and my brother descending to Seathwaite, haha! i remember seeing quite a few people around Esk Hause at that time.

Great report/pics, it was a fantastic day for it, we summited Scafell Pike from the corridor route and bagged Ill Crag and Great End on the way back down.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robgraham92/39308265232/

Here's a shot from the same day taken on Ill Crag!

Cheers Altenacker and trailmasher! glad you enjoyed the Pike robgraham - a superb photo of it from Ill Crag!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Looks like a terrific day, the last shot of Blencathra is a beauty.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Great walk to do in the snowy conditions. You picked a nice day for it and got some cracking shots. The Scafells look their most impressive from that viewpoint. That's an unusual view of Pillar peeping up between Great End and Gable; and it's always nice to see the top of Bowfell Buttress! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:19 am

dav2930 wrote:Great walk to do in the snowy conditions. You picked a nice day for it and got some cracking shots. The Scafells look their most impressive from that viewpoint. That's an unusual view of Pillar peeping up between Great End and Gable; and it's always nice to see the top of Bowfell Buttress! :)

Thanks johnkaysleftleg and dav2930! Yes i waited for some time on the top of Bowfell for the cloud to clear from the Scafells. Worth it though!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Wonderful. Reports like this have me licking my lips in anticipation of a few days based in Ambleside in April - snow or no snow! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Graeme D wrote:Wonderful. Reports like this have me licking my lips in anticipation of a few days based in Ambleside in April - snow or no snow! 8)

Thanks! I am hoping the snow will last - my next Scottish trip isn't until the end of April. Am hoping to repeat some of my old routes like CMD arete in nice crisp neve... fingers crossed!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland