walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnicht and the Moelwyns

Cnicht and the Moelwyns

Postby davekermito » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cnicht, Moelwyn Bach, Moelwyn Mawr

Date walked: 01/11/2015

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 1005m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Now I've started posting reports from walks on the more photogenic days I'm not going to stop.

This one goes back to November 2015, on the hottest day ever recorded in Wales in a November and involved the round of Cnicht and the Moelwyns from Croeser. A great round in perfect conditions done on a weekend - and yet no-one else was seen all day! For these reasons, I still look back on this walk (along with Nantlle Ridge) as one of the best in Wales.

Moelwyns.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Again, I think I'll let the photos do most of the talking!

You cannot beat blue skies and warm conditions with the first peak in sight! A wonderful omen for the day.

The Matterhorn of Wales. Ok, maybe not from all angles!

Yr Aran and Snowdon

Top of Cnicht looking towards Moel Hebog lot

Fascinating ruins of Rhosydd Quarry - spent a good hour or two exploring. Great place for those interested in our industrial heritage.

Top of Moelwyn Mawr

The route up to Moelwyn Bach looked tricky from here - in fact it was easy and wander over Craigysgafn is excellent. Mildly exposed without any drama.

Looking back on Craigysgafn

Very underrated little route - only gutted I didn't add Moel yr Hydd into the route - God knows how that one will be crow-barred into a route!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: Cnicht and the Moelwyns

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Great hills on a great day. I discovered these in early 2017, and was well impressed. The quarry remains are fascinating - as you say, one could spend ages wandering around them.

"Moel yr Hydd ... ....God knows how that one will be crow-barred into a route!"

It can be done this way... :)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=70540
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Cnicht and the Moelwyns

Postby davekermito » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:53 pm

I've split the hills around BF into 3 separate routes, which all avoided it. But there was a bit of poetic licence in the post and I did it on one of those mopping up days which cross the line from enjoyment into masochism :lol:

Loved the quarry - I'd like to take the 'proper' camera up there one day. Could spend a day up there!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland