walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First report: Hart Crag, Lake District

First report: Hart Crag, Lake District

Postby hbeevers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dove Crag, Hart Crag, Hartsop above How

Hewitts included on this walk: Dove Crag, Hart Crag

Date walked: 07/01/2018

Time taken: 6

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 811m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track-7-Jan-2018-10-54-38.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My first walk report so bear with me!

Having bought up some winter kit and doing the fell top assessor's winter skills day we decided to have a go on our own. We picked a perfect day for it and despite illness taking out half the initial group 2 of us were still up to it! Arriving later than hoped for at Cow Bridge car park I snagged the last reasonable parking spot and we set off up the steep slope to Bleaberry knot with lovely views over Brother's Water and Hartsop village.

Walking over Hartsop above How we were treated to excellent views up to Hart Crag and across to St Sunday's that really spoilt us on the way back. The path along to the bottom of the Hart Crag ascent is undulating and windy but very pleasant with partially frozen ground, not so in wet and warm weather I suspect.

Access to the summit was via a 200m+ slope, this was an excellent excuse to make use of the crampons and practice walking with an axe. I'm pleased to say we both found walking uphill in crampons quite agreeable, the harder snow patches especially. Once on the summit I removed mine but Becky kept hers on to aid walking on the top to Dove Crag.

Whilst walking across to Dove Crag the clear weather and low winter sun were excellent. It was good to see many others up enjoying the tops as well. Notably lots of people were using micro spikes, we met a group struggling with them on steeper sections one of whom stated that she'd left her crampons in the car... no use there.

Plan was to return down Dovedale Beck however, having got to the iced up staircase there we decided to return via Hartsop above How to better enjoy the views as the sun set.

ImageAlpenglow by Henry Beevers, on Flickr

ImageBleaberry Knot Style by Henry Beevers, on Flickr

The return was not so pleasant with the paths now well frozen and very slippy. The walk ended in a slightly fraught head torch lit slide down the bracken to the car before the 2 hour journey home for a well deserved take away pizza!
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Re: First report: Hart Crag, Lake District

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Very nice first report with some lovely photos. :clap: You certainly picked a cracking day for it. Well done for being properly equipped for the season and conditions, as so many folk are not. I think you deserved better than a take-away pizza after that! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby davekermito » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Super report and great photos! :clap:

I've just started posted here myself - after seeing your post I think I need to up my game (and photo skills!)
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Postby onsen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:31 pm

Enjoyable 1st post hbeevers, good pics. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:13 am

Some superbly composed photos making great use of the winter lighting!

Glad you included that valley view from Hartsop above How - I love that view. I tend to use that ridge for descent so I haven't seen that scene by morning light - your photo does it justice.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Congrats on your first report, some stunning images of a beautiful part of the lakes :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Welcome to WH. :wave: Nice report and great pics hbeevers :clap: Love the alpenglow photo, a great shot, probably my fav one out of a lovely set of photos. :clap: Now you've started, keep 'em coming :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland