walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hills In Lanzarote

Re: Hills In Lanzarote

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Graeme D wrote:Aye right, the only thing you will be climbing in Lanzarote will be a bar stool! :lol:

Hopefully not followed by a rapid descent! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:26 pm

pollyh33 wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Aye right, the only thing you will be climbing in Lanzarote will be a bar stool! :lol:

I was once out at a school ceilidh and afterwards, myself and a teacher colleague carried on to another bar for a few more drinks. We were both wearing kilts. We were also both hammered and the bar we went into was quite dark and dingy. We pulled up a couple of bar stools and ordered a couple of pints. After a few minutes my eyes started to become accustomed to the dark and I could make out faces in the crowded bar. Gradually it dawned on me that almost everyone else in the place was a pupil from our school! I took a big swig from my pint and said to my colleague "Don't look now but this place is crawling with our pupils!" at which point he spun round on his stool and went flying across the floor of the bar, fully exposing his authentic Scottish manhood to the entire place! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 pm

pollyh33 wrote:
scoob999 wrote:https://youtu.be/nG4rjOwXuX4

If you're hiring a car get one where you take it back with a full tank, we drove all week and never even got it half empty :shock:

If doing Teide apply for a permit now although you may be to late? You could always get the last cable cable car up and wait for the guard to go down, nip up to the summit and you'd have to walk down though.

Masca gorge is highly recommended as well 8)

Forget that! Wrong Island :roll: :lol:

Jeezo Scoob, you'd be really shite at the 'Fi on?' posts!

That's why I keep getting lost :shock: :roll: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Graeme D wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:

I was once out at a school ceilidh and afterwards, myself and a teacher colleague carried on to another bar for a few more drinks. We were both wearing kilts. We were also both hammered and the bar we went into was quite dark and dingy. We pulled up a couple of bar stools and ordered a couple of pints. After a few minutes my eyes started to become accustomed to the dark and I could make out faces in the crowded bar. Gradually it dawned on me that almost everyone else in the place was a pupil from our school! I took a big swig from my pint and said to my colleague "Don't look now but this place is crawling with our pupils!" at which point he spun round on his stool and went flying across the floor of the bar, fully exposing his authentic Scottish manhood to the entire place! :shock:

Ooops. Hope they didn't all whip out their phones :shock: :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:28 pm

scoob999 wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:
scoob999 wrote:https://youtu.be/nG4rjOwXuX4

If you're hiring a car get one where you take it back with a full tank, we drove all week and never even got it half empty :shock:

If doing Teide apply for a permit now although you may be to late? You could always get the last cable cable car up and wait for the guard to go down, nip up to the summit and you'd have to walk down though.

Masca gorge is highly recommended as well 8)

Forget that! Wrong Island :roll: :lol:

Jeezo Scoob, you'd be really shite at the 'Fi on?' posts!

That's why I keep getting lost :shock: :roll: :lol:

To be fair, you may have lost your way but at least you found fame :clap: :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby orion » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:07 am

If you are staying in Playa Blanca then get the ferry aross to Corralejo on Fuerteventura and then a bus out to Tindaya which is a half decent hill.Don`t know if you still need a permit as it has sacred carvings on the top .I never bothered ,Montana Rojo (?) at the southern end of the Corralejo dunes gives an hours or so walking and decent view and if you walk back along the coast through the dunes you may want to leave any inhibitions you have behind ! :lol:
If you want a good hill day then get the first ferry across and hire a car,drive down the length of Fuerteventura and do a few hills on the Jandia peninsula.Cracking views down there and well worth the price on a good day.

Nothing much on Lanzarote intereste me other than a few volcanic bumps in the south.The highest point on the island is closed to the public courtesy of the Spanish military.
Watch the sunset at El Golfo on the west coast,take a trip down the Ceasar Manique (?) cave,and the Timanfaya is worth a visit.I had a car for a week and ended up doing the same things over and over :)
I`ve got guides for Fuerteventura here and may have one for Lanzarote.If I have the Lanzarote one I`ll drop it off or you can pick it up when passing.
orion

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:39 pm

orion wrote:If you are staying in Playa Blanca then get the ferry aross to Corralejo on Fuerteventura and then a bus out to Tindaya which is a half decent hill.Don`t know if you still need a permit as it has sacred carvings on the top .I never bothered ,Montana Rojo (?) at the southern end of the Corralejo dunes gives an hours or so walking and decent view and if you walk back along the coast through the dunes you may want to leave any inhibitions you have behind ! :lol:
If you want a good hill day then get the first ferry across and hire a car,drive down the length of Fuerteventura and do a few hills on the Jandia peninsula.Cracking views down there and well worth the price on a good day.

Nothing much on Lanzarote intereste me other than a few volcanic bumps in the south.The highest point on the island is closed to the public courtesy of the Spanish military.
Watch the sunset at El Golfo on the west coast,take a trip down the Ceasar Manique (?) cave,and the Timanfaya is worth a visit.I had a car for a week and ended up doing the same things over and over :)
I`ve got guides for Fuerteventura here and may have one for Lanzarote.If I have the Lanzarote one I`ll drop it off or you can pick it up when passing.

Cheers for the info- you're a star! :clap: :clap:

Yes please to the Lanzarote guidebook. :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Broggy1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 pm

If you are near Costa Teguise....

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44750
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Broggy1 wrote:If you are near Costa Teguise....

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44750

Thanks for that Broggy. I would like to do both the volcano climb and the 10K running route. We're staying in Puerto Del Carmen. I'm away to see how far apart the two towns are. :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Chris Mac » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 pm

I went up Hacha Grande and Montana Roja a few years back, trip reports below and I can send on a gpx for you for Hacha Grande if that helps? It's also public on Viewranger.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56636

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56652
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Fairweather Softie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 pm

My wife just booked us to go on 28th Jan so this thread is very interesting indeed. 8) My walking will need to be solo as she will not leave the Sunbeds probably.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Fairweather Softie wrote:My wife just booked us to go on 28th Jan so this thread is very interesting indeed. 8) My walking will need to be solo as she will not leave the Sunbeds probably.

I had the same issue and also had to walk solo but it was brilliant fun, especially finishing the walk and jumping in the pool at the end! :D

It's a very interesting landscape, take plenty of water and watch out for the spikey bushes. You'll probably not meet many people if you hike up some hills there and the locals and tourists will no doubt give you funny looks and wonder why on earth you are not relaxing on holiday. They may never know that you can't beat some quality time atop a hill for relaxing after a steep hike! Hope you manage to get up some hills, looking forward to reading your reports... :)
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Chris Mac wrote:I went up Hacha Grande and Montana Roja a few years back, trip reports below and I can send on a gpx for you for Hacha Grande if that helps? It's also public on Viewranger.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56636

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56652

Thanks Chris, I'll have a good look at them later when I'm on a skive at work.

Cheers :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Fairweather Softie wrote:My wife just booked us to go on 28th Jan so this thread is very interesting indeed. 8) My walking will need to be solo as she will not leave the Sunbeds probably.

Hope you have a smashing time. We don't go until mid Feb, so please don't keep all the best weather for yourself 8)
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 pm

orion wrote:If you are staying in Playa Blanca then get the ferry aross to Corralejo on Fuerteventura and then a bus out to Tindaya which is a half decent hill.Don`t know if you still need a permit as it has sacred carvings on the top .I never bothered ,Montana Rojo (?) at the southern end of the Corralejo dunes gives an hours or so walking and decent view and if you walk back along the coast through the dunes you may want to leave any inhibitions you have behind ! :lol:

Thanks Alex for posting the guidebook through my door.

Nice wee surprise after a testing journey home from work.

You're a star X
pollyh33
Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion