walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skiddaw and the Little Man on a perfect day

Skiddaw and the Little Man on a perfect day

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Hewitts included on this walk: Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Date walked: 07/01/2018

Time taken: 5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Saturday, we drove down from the Orkney islands.
It was dark when we got to Keswick. In the morning, I opened the curtains in our apartment and there was Skiddaw in the sunshine, the summit capped with snow.

I grabbed my stuff and went for it - who knew when the weather would be like this again? I wasn't feeling too energetic after a solid day travelling, but I knew the route was easy and it was a good forecast.

I packed my ice spikes which I put on pretty much straight away as the paths were icy and very slippery - they were FAB and no problems until I took them off near the bottom on my return and had a spectacular near-fall on the tarmac in a car park :lol:

My boots for this walk were a pair of old crappy leather Hi-Tecs, £3 from a charity shop - I'm in the market for a new pair I think!! However they did the job.

It is a very simple route but a long uphill slog. Thankfully the views made up for any aches and I felt really exhilarated up there. The snow made it feel magical although it wasn't deep, and I was so glad I'd brought the ice spikes as it meant I was completely secure and didn't slip once!

When I got back down and back to base I had a long hot bath to get warm again.

Glad I dragged the "big" camera up there - it was spectacular!
DSC_1553.JPG
View from Briar Rigg

DSC_1556.JPG
Great views for a short amount of ascent

DSC_1560.JPG

DSC_1562.JPG
Coming out of the trees and starting to climb...

DSC_1566.JPG

DSC_1572.JPG
Derwent Water and Keswick

DSC_1578.JPG
Coming to the snow......

DSC_1588.JPG

DSC_1589.JPG
Summit of Skiddaw Little Man, looking more like a broken old fence?!

DSC_1597.JPG

DSC_1608.JPG
Summit at last - looking back to Little Man. So cold I could barely breathe! The coldest summit I've ever experienced.... couldn't eat or even work the camera without gloves and it took my hands half an hour to thaw out!

DSC_1613.JPG

DSC_1615.JPG

DSC_1621.JPG

DSC_1625.JPG
Coming back down.

DSC_1628.JPG

DSC_1632.JPG

DSC_1634.JPG
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: Skiddaw and the Little Man on a perfect day

Postby davekermito » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Great photos!

looks like you had plenty of company up there - and I'm not surprised looking at those conditions!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Postby tdm900 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 pm

I have done a lot of walking in this area , I usually camp at Castle rig campsite , I did Skidaw during the summer a bout 15 years ago , just followed the crowd , it was like 5 buses had tipped everyone out at the same time , great pictures by the way :clap:
tdm900
Mountaineer

Munros:269   Corbetts:3

Postby MusicalHiker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Yep - loads of people, and I do prefer it quieter but the weather was superb.
Even worse was Scafell Pike 3 years ago on Easter weekend - must have been a thousand inappropriately dressed people up there, with bored kids and sandals.....
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 pm

I was in the Central fells on the same day and it was a cracker. Some lovely pics, Skiddaw has some great views. As for the crowds I last climbed Skiddaw from the back in September setting off at about 8 in the morning and only crossed paths with about 6 people. It is possible to find solitude in the Lakes.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 pm

I was there the day before and the clouds were hanging very low so not much to see :( Glad that you had a cracking day on Skiddaw with a grand walk and some great photos :clap: to look back at on a bad weather day :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 pm

What fabulous weather - it doesn't get much better than that!

I couldn't suppress a wry smile at your description of the cold - almost a year ago to the day I was up there on a similarly cold day, with similar results :roll: .

Don't be too hard on your Hi-Tecs - I find mine perfect for weather like that. They're comfortable, and take crampons if necessary, no problem. I only use "real" boots when it's heavy ice.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland