walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tryfan and her less visited friends

Tryfan and her less visited friends

Postby davekermito » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Gallt yr Ogof, Tryfan, Y Foel Goch

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11.13 km

Ascent: 899m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Oh Tryfan.

It's ace isn't it? So obvious, and so near a main road.

Tryfan and co.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So whilst the likes of Trail Magazine shout it's glories from the rooftops, I'd avoided it for ages purely because I love the solitude. But after many trips to Ogwen Valley, I had to do it. So off I went almost annoyed I'd be in a procession.

And how wrong could I be!! Had an absolute belter of a day - up there with my favourite walks of all time!

Following the slightly soft way up, I decided on the Heather Terrace. What a lovely, easy way up a rugged pike - absolutely no drama but lovely views all the way up the col between the Far South Peak and the main tops. From here it was a simple scramble to the top, over large grippy boulders right to the top. I was almost gutted when Adam and Eve came into view! And despite a large number of very funny Scouse lads daring me to jump from one to the other, I bottled it!

From here it was down to the bottom of Bristly Ridge where the old miners path was followed for a while before the beeline to the top of Y Foel Goch. Cracking views back to Tryfan and the rest of Ogwen from here.

Carrying along the ridge, I shortly got to the top of Gallt yr Ogof and followed the faint path back to the A5.

I didn't want to believe the hype regarding Tryfan, but loved every step! Hopefully the photos will do it justice!

It looks nowt from down here!

Looking over to the Carneddau through the cloud on ascent

The standard Heather Terrace view!

Far South Peak and Bristly Ridge looking up to the main Glyderau

Y Garn from the Col.

Sandwich and selfie time from the top!

Great fun scrambling across the top.

Looking back on Tryfan from the Miners Path

Snowdon from the slopes of Y Foel Goch

Tryfan in all it's glory!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: Tryfan and her less visited friends

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Nice alternative to making a round of it, haven't ever thought of adding in Y Foel Goch instead of going over the Glyderau.

Nice images too.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Tryfan and her less visited friends

Postby davekermito » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks Mal.

It wasn't quite the excitement of Bristly Ridge and the main Glyders, but it had it own positives! Mainly making an interesting half day out of the two end Glyderau that are unlikely to be walked again :lol:
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland