walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Brandy The Snub & Ben Tirran

Loch Brandy The Snub & Ben Tirran

Postby Hose Monkey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Route description: Ben Tirran by Loch Brandy and Wharral, Glen Clova

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 19/01/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having decided it was time to get back in the hills after a few years lay off. I decided to ease my legs back in to action with an 'easier' walk in Glen Clova. Loch Brandy was meant to be the destination however after consulting the map and reading previous posts on WH, The Snub and Ben Terran proved too much of a temptation. The weather forecast was not too bad for the time of year so me and my mate set off from the Clova hotel and eased our way up the well trodden path. After a fairly gentle climb, within an hour we reached Loch Brandy. 1st lesson of the day was about to be learned. However easy you think the walk is going to be, remember crampons and an ice axe at least as walking up a fairly steep climb without them on hard packed snow and ice is no fun. Despite this, we made it up the slope with some slipping, sliding and cursing and reached the cairn above LB. The cloud didn't allow for any great views but as walkers in Scotland know, wait 5 minutes and it usually changes. Low and behold we were rewarded with cracking views of Mount Keen and further up Clova with views up to Dreish and Mayar. Time for a well earned drink only to discover that my Camel back tubes had frozen. Answers on a postcard please as to stop this happening. A long trudge then followed in deep snow up to Ben Tirran. Freezing cold now and howling winds made us deviate slightly from our planned route and we descended quickly toward Loch Wharrat and the comfort of the bothy. A quick cup of coffee and having thawed out we decided to head WSW and pick up the path back down to the Clova hotel. 2nd lesson of the day, stick to paths if you can as trudging across snow and heather is no way to ease the legs back in to this hill walking malarkey. Brilliant day was had, legs are screaming at me now but can't wait for the next adventure.
Attachments
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hose Monkey
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Re: Loch Brandy The Snub & Ben Tirran

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Great way to get back into the hills - the estate bothy is quite a building and a good place to stop :thumbup:

Hose Monkey wrote:Time for a well earned drink only to discover that my Camel back tubes had frozen. Answers on a postcard please as to stop this happening.

After taking a drink, blow the water in the tube back into the bladder - sometimes helps - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Loch Brandy The Snub & Ben Tirran

Postby Hose Monkey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:11 pm

rockhopper wrote:Great way to get back into the hills - the estate bothy is quite a building and a good place to stop :thumbup:

Hose Monkey wrote:Time for a well earned drink only to discover that my Camel back tubes had frozen. Answers on a postcard please as to stop this happening.

After taking a drink, blow the water in the tube back into the bladder - sometimes helps - cheers :)

Great bothy and thanks for the tip with my frozen pipes.
Hose Monkey
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland