walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fire and Ice - An ascent of Ben Gulabin

Fire and Ice - An ascent of Ben Gulabin

Postby Ranger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin

Date walked: 11/01/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 480m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Climbing Ben Gulabin had been in my mind for years. From my earliest holidays in Scotland, I had fond memories of visiting the Spittal of Glenshee inn, above which the hill looms unmistakably. The 'Chieftains' Candlesticks' story above the fire place, the assault course in the garden outside - I'd even celebrated my 100th Munro (Glas Tulaichean) with a meal at the inn. Sadly, it was razed to the ground by fire in 2014. However my intention to climb the mountain remained and, after a New Year's Day ascent of near-by Creag an Dail Bheag, only a week later I was lured back out by another fine weather forecast.

IMG_4920.JPG

It was after midday by the time Emil and I set off from Banchory up Deeside. The hills were blanketed white as we headed south from Braemar, the ski area as busy as I'd seen it, but the lower glen beyond the pass looked disconcertingly snow-free. We parked beside the entrance to the Old Spittal Farm and set off with an appetite to get back above the snow line. The turf was frozen solid as we began across a grass field, through a gate and quickly onto the open hillside. After an initial steep section, and a brief descent to retrieve a misplaced trekking pole, the ridge broadened out and the gradient eased. A line of tracks gave away a large herd of deer before we saw them fleeing westwards out of sight.

20180107_135418.jpg
IMG_4932.JPG

We crossed the snow line to observe half a dozen mountain hares, huge looking ones, skipping away over the horizon. The softening effect of the hazy winter sunshine clouding our sense of scale, perhaps. Or a new genetically-engineered super-breed. We'll probably never know.

20180107_145510.jpg
20180107_150745.jpg
IMG_5005.JPG

The expansive summit area isn’t perceptible from the classic postcard view of Ben Gulabin. However, in these conditions, the chance to linger amidst the crunching snow was relished, with time taken to soak in the views of ridge upon ridge of unblemished white.

20180107_150941.jpg
20180107_155545.jpg
IMG_5031.JPG

Hamish Brown's "Climbing the Corbetts" is the best reference book on the subject, and his description of how Glas Tulaichean "lorded it in the west, the big corrie towards us”, was apt for the day. The hills on the south side of the glen carried a prominence that defied their failure to make the Corbett grade, although as Hamish describes, Meall Uaine was once assigned that esteemed status, only to lose it when a re-survey found it shy of the 500 foot threshold.

20180107_152301.jpg
20180107_155551.jpg

We reached the summit as a biting cold breeze picked up, -6 clocked on the thermometer, where a paltry cairn offers no real shelter. However I donned a fleece intent on dawdling in the dying rays of the sun, and we stoked our spirits by toasting the ascent with a bottle of ‘Ridge’ beer, a recent Christmas present that couldn't have been better savoured anywhere else. Over-filled chicken tikka sandwiches were a challenge to eat with half-frozen, gloved fingers, but it was all good fun.

20180107_152823.jpg
IMG_5034.JPG

We set off back down the ridge with an orange glow behind the silhouettes of Ben Lawers, Ben Vrackie, Stob Binnein and Ben More. Twilight took over, draining the scene of colour but for the pink-flushed clouds, along with a stream of red lights from cars returning southwards along the A93. The descent was short and sharp, allowing headtorches to remain in our rucksacks, with trekking poles well utilised in the bid to stay upright. We returned to the car 3 hours after departing, satisfied with a fine afternoon of winter walking.

20180107_160824.jpg
20180107_161944.jpg
20180107_163634.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Fire and Ice - An ascent of Ben Gulabin

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Great photos and a reminder we must do this Corbett the next time we're in that area. Maybe not in the snow - though I'm sure that's when it looks its best! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby ancancha » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Glenshee has the fattest mountain hares I have seen :!: Big, Fat and almost Sinister looking :shock:
They are like something out of a Wallace & Gromit movie :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Ranger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:19 am

ancancha wrote:Glenshee has the fattest mountain hares I have seen :!: Big, Fat and almost Sinister looking :shock:
They are like something out of a Wallace & Gromit movie :lol:

Could've sworn the ones we saw were about the size of dogs. Given the pace they move at I wouldn't want to be in the road of one of them :shock: :)
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland