walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torridon I’m in love!

Torridon I’m in love!

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 04/01/2018

Time taken: 21.3 hours

Distance: 49.99 km

Ascent: 3765m

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a Christmas spent in the deep South (nae hills) it was clear that I needed to continue the tradition I had begun last year of spending the first week of the year in the wilds. Last year’s trip to Skye had been just magical and the forecast suggested that Torridon (an area that had been shockingly omitted from last year’s adventures) should be my destination of choice 8)

Unable to face the thought of doing the drive in one go I left Glasgow about 6pm on Wednesday and drove to near Lochluichart where I found a suitable layby and curled up on my back seat in my toasty sleeping bag and with the comfortingly smell of my friends buff that had been left behind and “borrowed” :lol: It was remarkably comfortable and the following morning I drove the remainder of the way to the Torridon Inn, just past Annat, where I booted up and made a start.

Thursday 4th January
Beinn Damph
13.14km
1145m ascent
5 hours 45 mins

Beinn Damph.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The path was steep on slightly cramped legs but the pine forest was beautiful and sheltered me from any wind

As I left the pine behind the views backwards towards Beinn Alligin & Liathach were just stunning

Magnificent Alligin

The path only had bits of ice and it clearly led me over the heather moorland towards the climb up to the ridge.

Meall Gorm ahead (a good viewpoint in decent weather)

I couldn’t stop looking backwards….

As I started the steeper climb up to the ridge the path became less clear and I was also into the snow and more serious ice here which made walking more difficult and increased the likelihood of faceplanting :lol:

The coire

Reaching the ridge I could see my route ahead

Loch Sheldaig, out to sea and Northern Skye

Loch Carron

As I climbed higher the area around Loch Carron became clearer….

Looking back down the ridge

The path was under snow but a fairly convincing number of footprints had created a route that agreed with what I thought was the right direction :thumbup:

It was tough going as there were sections where the “path” was fairly icy before becoming deep sinky snow but eventually I made my way up towards….

…a whiteout….doh :shock:

Now….the footprints led me a few metres north to a snow covered shelter. From memory (and confirmed by a map check) this wasn’t the summit but the 868 top. However the footprints did not continue. Not one single one…. I was pretty confident about where I was (and I did get the GPS out to double check) but when the footprints stop and you’re in a whiteout you start to doubt yourself :crazy:

A quick message to Mr X confirmed that I was right, which I knew anyway but it was reassuring to hear (and of course he will take credit for saving my ass forever now :lol: )

So compass in hand, off I went into nothingness…. I followed the edge of the corrie (at a distance :lol: ) before the ridge narrowed. The snow conditions were difficult here; sometimes hard enough to walk on, then sinking up to my ass with the next step. I struggled up the ridge through deep snow, crawling at times :lol:

The ridge narrows

A very brief clearance reveals the corrie I’ve just walked around

A lot of time passed as I dragged myself up and up until finally the incline eased and I literally stumbled onto the summit cairn :lol: It was surprisingly not too windy here and I was able to wait to see if it would clear…

SUMMIT!

There were a few brief moments where it threatened to clear….MCD

Towards Loch Carron

But it didn’t happen and after a while I was starting to get cold. I had a long way back and the weather was to deteriorate as the day went on. So I headed off, grateful for my footprints to follow so I didn’t have to bother navigating :lol:

Freezy face :lol:

It didn’t seem like such a long way on the way back and as I headed down towards the bealach I was finally out of the clag…

However the other top was in more clag than before, it didn’t look likely to change and I was tired so I figured it was time to head down. As I came down the last steep section from the bealach I met a large group of people in jeans…I did warn them that I’d nearly needed crampons and they said that they were probably only going to the bealach :lol:

Alligin a little misty

Reaching the forest I stopped for a bite to eat and a wee play with the big lens seeing as I'd carried it all this way…

The Horns

Sgurr Mor & the Eag-Dhubh

An easy walk back through the pine forest saw me back at the car and making a new pal…I tried to communicate but he (or she) was a cow of few words :lol:

I decided to have a wee drive along the road towards Shieldaig which gave some lovely views down Loch Torridon

And of Shieldaig itself

I found somewhere to bed down for the night and after reading a few chapters by torchlight I fell so soundly asleep that I didn’t notice all the wind and rain :D

Friday 5th January
Coire Mhic Fhearchair
14.64km
606m ascent
4 hours 30 mins

Coire Mhic Fhearchair.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The next morning dawned and although the forecast was decidedly patchy with very high winds, the view wasn’t at all bad!

Driving the few miles around to the Beinn Eighe start point I got my boots on and headed off up the familiar path. The tops were all in clag here and things were not looking hugely promising, but I was determined to make my pilgrimage to the hallowed Coire Mhic Fhearchair :lol:

Looking back towards the Ling Hut

Ahead the impressive Stuc a’ Choire Dhuibh Bhig – the Eastern end of Liathach

Coinneach Mhor appearing out of the mist

As I continued the visibility dropped and a hybrid rain/snow was falling so in order to not destroy my camera and my friends lenses I decided to put it away :lol:

It was a tougher climb than I remembered to Coire Dubh Mor but as I dropped down towards the wee lochans there were promising glimpses ahead

And the inner workings of Liathach were also making an impressive appearance

As I rounded Sail Mhor I had more and more snow to contend with but also views were really opening out now!

Carn na Feola, the Eastern end of Beinn Dearg

The last section up to the Coire was very tough – wind was blowing loose snow at me and deep soft snow was covering an already steep climb up the tiers of rock. I slowly made my way up, bumped into a group of people just leaving and excitedly made my way up the last section towards the view I had been waiting for….

Coire Mhic Fhearchair - the triple buttresses were partially hidden but it was an absolutely magical sight.

Back the way to Baosbheinn & Beinn an Eoin were impressive too

But I couldn’t take my eyes off this sight…. I’ve heard people liken this corrie to a cathedral and there on my own it felt like a holy place

Careful not to fall in I wandered around the wee island

Obviously this had to happen :lol:

I couldn’t decide which photo I liked best so I’ve posted them all :lol:

Sail Mhor

Last one, promise :wink:

Baosbheinn & Beinn an Eoin

Beinn a’ Chearcaill

What a sight 8)

However, it was cold, very cold, and it had taken me over 2 hours to this point. It was a long way back….carefully making my way back down the steep section I had to stop to admire the waterfalls

Making my way carefully around Sail Mhor I could see that Liathach was a bit clearer

As i started the descent from Coire Dubh Mhor I paused to admire a very sinister looking snowman…

As I neared the car, Beinn Eighe behind me looked clearer :shock:

Back at the car I hung damp things up to dry before heading into Torridon to see if the famous coffee shop was open…

First I was distracted by the view down Loch Torridon

Before being rejuvenated by wonderful tea and cake!

As I left, I met a couple of very tame deer who seemed to be up to funny business in full view of the camera :lol:

After a quick shower (heavenly!) I emptied my pockets into the donation box and enjoyed an evening of food and a good book followed by cake and custard (the lovely lady in the coffee shop had opened the tin for me :lol: ) before the moon rose and tempted me to get the camera out again.

Saturday 6th January
Beinn Alligin
10.2km
1205m ascent
6 hours 25 mins

Awesome_Alligin_.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Through the power of social media, I had discovered that a couple of friends were planning to head to Torridon on Saturday and after firing a few messages back and forth we agreed to meet to tackle Beinn Alligin; a hill I had been up before and was planning a return to. It would be nice to have some company too :thumbup:

I met Michael and Stevie and we got ourselves ready to go. We had decided to go clockwise in the hope that the wind would have lessened before we tackled the horns. In the car park we met two other groups, one pair heading up horns first so we joked about meeting halfway round to compare notes and another group one of whom we heard ask “do we need our crampons today?” as we left :shock: :roll: :lol:

We crossed the road and headed up the path which almost immediately started climbing fairly steeply. I remembered this being a pretty brutal climb and it did not disappoint. But the banter was flowing as we headed upwards. It was cold but we were already overheating :lol:

Stopping for a breather…

Beinn Damph was gloriously clear today and the colours were marvellous 8)

Looking ahead to Coire nan Laogh

Sgurr Mor & the Horns

An impressive viewpoint – down the glen, Beinn Dearg on the left, Beinn Eighe dead ahead and Liathach on the right

We started to climb up the corrie – the path was well under snow and soon we stopped to put on our crampons. This made walking a lot easier and although it was very steep the snow was mostly good to walk on.

Looking back down

Stopping for a rest – a bonnie wee view!

Despite it still being a bit cloudy, the sun was breaking through the clouds to create some lovely effects

And it got even better the higher we climbed!

Mike and Stevie stopped for a photo

Mine’s better :wink:

Finally coming out the top of the corrie extra gloves were donned and Mike led the way up to the trig point at the top of Tom na Gruagaich

The sun celebrates in dramatic fashion opening up over Loch Torridon

Stevie walking in front of what must be a perfect camp spot…. 8)

As we arrived at the trig point the sun perfectly hit the mountains in front of us and I’m pretty sure this photo is the closest I can get to answering the question I am so often asked; “why do you go walking?”

That’s some view eh :shock:

Despite the cold we felt the need to enjoy the fabulous views for a while, cold hands and feet be damned :lol:

Mike’s summit selfie :lol:

A slightly different angle (I couldn’t decide which I preferred!)

The sun hitting the Corbett Beinn Dearg

Looking back down

Liathach

Sun hitting the edge of the corrie

Jaxter special!

Stevie on the summit

However we had a long way to go and it was cold, so Stevie led the way around the edge of the corrie.

We were close enough to the edge for a bit of excitement and I’m pretty sure the path I’d followed previously had zig-zagged well away from the drop but in true Back to the Future style…where we’re going, we don’t need paths :lol:

Looking back up what we’d come down….

Mike bringing up the rear

Coming down there was a lot of soft snow but as we came out of the shadow of Tom na Gruagaich the walking became a little easier.

Looking back to Tom na Gruagaich

Although the ascent up Sgurr Mor had looked relatively tame from our previous summit, now we were actually doing it our legs were really beginning to feel it!

Looking down to Loch Torridon

Eag Dubh – the black crack; not looking very black today :lol:

The Eag Dubh with Tom na Gruagaich behind

From here the summit of Sgurr Mor was easily reached but our eyes instantly went to the horns – could we or couldn’t we? One thing that worried us was that the pair going horns first had not made it – they could have bailed for any reason, but it wasn’t a good sign :shock:

We had a wee wander down towards the Horns and could see very few, if any footprints going onwards….

Slioch

I looked to Mike and Stevie as they had more winter experience than me….without a rope the decision was made that it was probably better safe than sorry. And so it was that I would have to return a third time for a crack at the horns :lol:

With a look at the time we realised we didn’t have time for hanging about so headed back over Sgurr Mor and back downwards where we met the group behind us at the Eag Dubh. Fortunately they had brought their crampons with them :lol: It also turned out that I’d met two of them at the top of Bla Bheinn a year ago - small world :lol: :lol:

The light was starting to go and I found myself missing my footing in the snow. And we had another munro to climb :lol:

Hey let’s go climb Tom na Gruagaich again :shock:

Mike and Stevie leading the way

Beinn Damph & pals

Looking back to Sgurr Mor & and Eag Dubh

Liathach – you can tell that the light had gone

We were all feeling pretty tired as we dragged ourselves up to the summit of Tom na Gruagaich for the second time that day, and the most memorable moment from this part was Mike literally hauling me up a rock to save me walking around as I couldn’t reach :lol: Fortunately there is no photographic evidence of this moment :crazy:

The effort was totally worth it as we were greeted by this stunning view of evening light on Skye 8)

We met a guy who had walked up for the sunset and after comparing notes on cameras and crampons we figured we had better get on with it. The boys tried bum sliding but the snow was too sticky initially then too slippery as Stevie had to get outta the way very quickly :lol:

It was a wonderful relief to get the crampons off once out the snow and it was a knee-crunching final descent to the car park. Mike and Stevie had a long drive ahead (hardcore Torridon-in-a-dayers :crazy: ) so we stocked up on caffeine and cake at the Cake Shop before I waved them off.

I then tried to catch my dinner…. :lol:

Before enjoying the evening light on Loch Torridon

Sunday 7th January
Beinn Dearg (Torridon)
12km
809m ascent
4 hours 45 mins

Beinn Dearg Torridon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunday dawned in dramatic fashion – firstly I awoke to thick ice on the inside of my car windows :shock: Secondly, when I decided to turn on the engine to defrost the windscreen it turned out my battery was deed. I hadn’t left anything on overnight, it was just incredibly cold :lol: I threw on gloves and hats and wandered off to find assistance. The first guy I met didn’t have jump leads but did confirm his car had been reluctant to start too :shock:

I found three friendly guys outside the Youth Hostel who offered to help me bump start Colonel Mustard. Thanks to my rescuers this was successful and I was mobile again :clap: I found out later that these heroes were actually part of the Torridon Mountain Rescue Team and friends of a friend. So they really are heroes :lol: Obviously people haven’t held back laughing about my needing help from MR without even being on a mountain :lol:

While I was letting The Colonel run a bit to recharge I caught the end of a magnificent sunrise (unfortunately I’d missed most of it with the car drama :lol: )

Beinn Damph

I drove up the short distance to the Beinn Alligin car park managing to safely negotiate the sheet ice I’d been warned about and parked facing downhill just incase of problems afterwards :shock: I left the engine running while I booted up and then crossed my fingers, turned it off and headed off up the path on the right of the bridge.

It was a nice easy walk and I covered the distance quickly. It was an absolutely glorious morning – if possible even better than the day before 8) The sun was hitting all the right things in the right places and I wished that I’d been able to start a bit earlier as with a bit of height it would have been absolutely perfect.

However, Beinn Alligin behind the waterfall wasn’t a bad view at all…

The view from the bridge over the Coire Mhic Nobaill was nae bad either 8)

Continuing along the path I reached the next footbridge which gave me an impressive view of Beinn Dearg, my very imposing looking target!

Beinn Alligin was strikingly white against the bluebird sky and a sneaky wee Scottish flag too :lol:

I was walking along feeling on top of the world and couldn’t have removed the huge grin from my face if I’d tried :D

As I gained height towards the Bealach a’ Chomhla I was given a wonderful view down the glen of Beinn Eighe

Beinn Dearg ahead

Looking back

Magnificent Liathach 8)

I passed the turn off to the Horns and continued a short distance along the path which became increasingly rough before bearing off towards the west flank of Stuc Loch na Cabhaig. There were patches of snow and evidence of a set of footprints at least a day old. Although I wasn’t consciously following these prints it was comforting to realise that every navigational decision I made as I crossed the moor turned out to be an echo of the mystery person.

I remember someone saying that they enjoyed seeing other people’s footprints when they were walking alone as it was a strange form of company; knowing that someone had been there in the past and left a little of themselves behind. I was loving the solitude but could understand that feeling of companionship with an unknown person in the past :thumbup: 8)

I found an easy crossing point at the burn, and was so confident that I managed to stop for a photo halfway across…..risky but fortunately it paid off :lol:

I had a wee pause at some huge rocks….here’s me for scale :lol:

And the Horns of Alligin behind me

As recommended I worked my way past the boulders before ascending. I now had a wonderful view of the splendid Baosbheinn!

Once past the boulders it was time to head up. It looked steep and snowy and I decided crampons would be a good idea.

As with all steep ascents, height was gained quickly. The snow was mostly in good condition and easily supported me as I climbed.

Looking back to Alligin

As I pulled myself out the top of a particularly steep section I could see up to the ridge proper :thumbup:

Loch Torridon and it’s magnificent satellites

Looking back I was startled at the steepness of the slope I’d just climbed was and realised with a jolt that I should definitely have my ice axe out as I’d be totally screwed if I slipped here :shock: Axe in hand I kept going, carefully placing each foot or hand, willing myself to concentrate.

Loch a’ Bhealaich & Baosbheinn

Fabulous Beinn Alligin!

I wound my way in between crags, trying to stick to the snow as the rocks tended to have sinky snow around them. I was starting to wonder if coming down this would be quite interesting…. Still nothing impossible yet, so I continued. And the views continued to improve…

Finally I was confronted by crags….spying a route around the side I started around there before discovering that the snow was very loose. I had a wonder around the other way…no better. The drop was….let’s just say that a MR callout would not be necessary if it went wrong :shock:

I had got to the point where I thought I could have serious trouble reversing anything I did next; not a good idea. Anyone who knows me will know how stubborn I am so the decision to turn around was not made lightly :roll: But it was definitely the correct one :thumbup:

Baosbheinn

I’d spotted a snowy gully which looked like a safer descent route than reversing what I’d come up, so after a few more photos (just in case :lol: ) and a soaking up the views for as long as I could manage before getting cold I stepped into the gully.

The gully was fine to start with – the snow was solid enough to be safe but enough to sink into as well as I carefully made my way downwards. Looking back up I couldn’t believe what I’d managed to come down, and it was nowhere near over yet!

Safely negotiating the first section I was confronted with a view of Slioch!!

Beinn an Eoin was also looking striking from this angle

Continuing down the gully I managed to negotiate some very icy patches and eventually came out at a flatter section where I could draw breath! It had all got quite intense :lol:

The hardest bit was done now and it was a case of picking my way through the rocks and boulders to work my way back around to where I’d started my ascent. No summit today but I reckoned I’d learnt more than on any other winter hill-walk :lol:

Rounding the corner I could see my boulders ahead :D

I was rather startled to see footprints as I’d thought I was alone….I laughed when I realised I had met my outward route :lol:

Looking back from the boulders – Beinn Dearg had defeated me but it would be here another day, as would I 8)

I made my way back across the moor until I met the path and as I enjoyed the easy walk back down Coire Mhic Nobaill I thought about why I wasn’t in the least bit bothered about not making the summit – partly it was just such a spectacular day to be out playing in the snow but also a quote a very dear friend of mine had sent me popped into my mind and I decided it very much summed up my last year – a change from summit-fever to a desire for adventure, exploration and appreciation of special places 8)

Lost in thought I enjoyed the sights of frozen waterfalls…

…wonderful panoramas (although the light was going as the weather started to close in a little)…

…and Liathach

Nearing the carpark I started to meet lots of people out for a wee Sunday wander. To be fair it was a lovely setting for it! Back at the car I was relieved to discover that The Colonel started without any hesitation :lol:

However, disaster struck again when I discovered that the Cake Shop in the village was closed on Sundays :( :lol:

It was the small matter of a 230 mile drive home, so after a few photo stops along the Torridon road….

I paused at the Kinlochewe viewpoint to let the sun set (or not :lol: ) on my Torridonian adventures for now.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Torridon I’m in love!

Postby johnbythell » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Wow! looks stunning, and a real adventure. Definitely added to my list.
johnbythell
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 pm

What a place it is. Looks like you had a fab few days.

Your first two walks basically repeated my first ever winter walking trip to Scotland. Except that we had to turn back on the first Beinn Damp top having spent too long wading through snow to have time to summit. Next day we took 4 hours to get to Coire Mhic Fhearchair and 3 hours back. Still the deepest snow I've ever encountered for such a long distance, and you're quite right it didn't matter a damn that we didn't summit, they were some of the best days walking I've ever had!

Have also had to turn back on the Horns, and failed to summit Beinn Dearg. OK, on the last one, we failed to leave the car, it was grim!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 pm

I think I went out for my new year's trip a couple of days too early :roll: .

Great stuff - especially the last couple of days. Beinn Dearg looked fantastic, even without getting to the top :) . And goes without saying that Beinn Alligin was a classic day.

My first time up Beinn Dearg was in similar conditions, and with a guy from Siberia who used to walk in a boiler suit, and was convinced he didn't need crampons as he 'was born in a snowdrift'. We made it OK, but he did struggle a bit on the exposed scrambly bit on the other side of the summit. I can't remember if he learnt anything from it for future walks though :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:37 pm

I'm also in love with Torridon, and the superb pics - amazing cloud/sunlight/rock/snow combinations - just too many to mention any in particular - illustrate why we probably all are!

I do envy you. I'd hoped to be up in the Highlands at this time also, but went down with one the many lurgies circulating around the festive period (one wholly unrelated to activities on New Year's Eve).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 am

Think I can understand the sentiments in the title :thumbup: That was a bit of an adventure - good result too. Beinn Dearg is on my to-do list at some point but suspect it won't be in winter - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:02 am

Nice one Jaxter. Brilliant pics and report.
Great words from John Muir - so true. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

What a fantastic four days! Torridon really is hard to beat at any time of year, but in winter! 8) Your day on Beinn Alligin in particular looked amazing. Lots of fabulous shots - really beautiful some of them. Beinn Dearg is a very impressive and steep beast isn't it? Caution definitely the better part of valour in those conditions. Also love the John Muir quote - I'll be a saunterer from now on! :lol:

I'm planning on a trip to Torridon first week in March and I'm really looking forward to it, especially after reading your report! :D :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Great report! :clap:

Be warned that it might be a lifelong affair!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby ancancha » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 pm

Nowheres perfect, being in Scotland is close enough :wink:

Scottish sky.jpg

Other almost perfect places are also available, comments in this post etc.

Dark and atmospheric and then bright and stunning :!:
Some fabulous vistas Jaxter 8)
Great report, and what a calorie burn, you'll need another festive period to stock up again :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:11 am

Brilliant read and photos Jackie, of what looks an epic trip.

I'm absolutely not seething with jealousy :lol: :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Great pics of a great place. Torridon's also my favourite :) Beinn Dearg is a steep climb whichever way you go - when I did it there was no "official" route - we just climbed a grassy gully, traversed the top and descended (in torrential rain). I think the nicest way on Beinn Damh is to follow the track round to the back and traverse it, but the start of the ascent is very steep and in the snow you were probably right to give it a miss. The Scottish weather has done it again: last Saturday there was 30cm of snow above Loch Earn and now it's all gone :(
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:50 pm

johnbythell wrote:Wow! looks stunning, and a real adventure. Definitely added to my list.

Thankyou - everything in winter becomes more epic doesn't it, and Torridon is epic enough to start with :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:What a place it is. Looks like you had a fab few days.

Your first two walks basically repeated my first ever winter walking trip to Scotland. Except that we had to turn back on the first Beinn Damp top having spent too long wading through snow to have time to summit. Next day we took 4 hours to get to Coire Mhic Fhearchair and 3 hours back. Still the deepest snow I've ever encountered for such a long distance, and you're quite right it didn't matter a damn that we didn't summit, they were some of the best days walking I've ever had!

Have also had to turn back on the Horns, and failed to summit Beinn Dearg. OK, on the last one, we failed to leave the car, it was grim!

Wow, sounds like you had a lot more snow than I did :shock: Couldn't agree more though, who needs a summit :lol:

malky_c wrote:I think I went out for my new year's trip a couple of days too early :roll: .

Great stuff - especially the last couple of days. Beinn Dearg looked fantastic, even without getting to the top :) . And goes without saying that Beinn Alligin was a classic day.

My first time up Beinn Dearg was in similar conditions, and with a guy from Siberia who used to walk in a boiler suit, and was convinced he didn't need crampons as he 'was born in a snowdrift'. We made it OK, but he did struggle a bit on the exposed scrambly bit on the other side of the summit. I can't remember if he learnt anything from it for future walks though :lol:

I was very lucky with the weather 8) I'd never have got anywhere near where I did without crampons though, your friend is hardcore :shock: :shock:

Alteknacker wrote:I'm also in love with Torridon, and the superb pics - amazing cloud/sunlight/rock/snow combinations - just too many to mention any in particular - illustrate why we probably all are!

I do envy you. I'd hoped to be up in the Highlands at this time also, but went down with one the many lurgies circulating around the festive period (one wholly unrelated to activities on New Year's Eve).

Thanks dude - it's just amazing isn't it 8) 8) A lot of people seem to have been ill over the holidays; for once I escaped the lurgy :lol: Hope you've recovered now :wink:

rockhopper wrote:Think I can understand the sentiments in the title :thumbup: That was a bit of an adventure - good result too. Beinn Dearg is on my to-do list at some point but suspect it won't be in winter - cheers :)

Thanks - yeah I think it would be simple enough without the snow, just steep :lol:

Sunset tripper wrote:Nice one Jaxter. Brilliant pics and report.
Great words from John Muir - so true. :D

Thankyou - yes I loved that quote! I'd never heard it before but it's so true 8)

dav2930 wrote:What a fantastic four days! Torridon really is hard to beat at any time of year, but in winter! 8) Your day on Beinn Alligin in particular looked amazing. Lots of fabulous shots - really beautiful some of them. Beinn Dearg is a very impressive and steep beast isn't it? Caution definitely the better part of valour in those conditions. Also love the John Muir quote - I'll be a saunterer from now on! :lol:

I'm planning on a trip to Torridon first week in March and I'm really looking forward to it, especially after reading your report! :D :clap:

Thankyou - yeah it's a hardcore place 8) Hope you get good weather for your visit :wink:

jmarkb wrote:Great report! :clap:

Be warned that it might be a lifelong affair!

Thanks - yup definitely a long term thing :lol:

ancancha wrote:Nowheres perfect, being in Scotland is close enough :wink:

Scottish <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">sky.jpg</span>

Other almost perfect places are also available, comments in this post etc.

Dark and atmospheric and then bright and stunning :!:
Some fabulous vistas Jaxter 8)
Great report, and what a calorie burn, you'll need another festive period to stock up again :lol:

Quite agree 8) Thankyou - yup gotta burn off all that turkey somewhere eh :lol:

jupe1407 wrote:Brilliant read and photos Jackie, of what looks an epic trip.

I'm absolutely not seething with jealousy :lol: :lol:

Cheers JP, consider it revenge for your Assynt trip :lol: :lol:

past my sell by date wrote:Great pics of a great place. Torridon's also my favourite :) Beinn Dearg is a steep climb whichever way you go - when I did it there was no "official" route - we just climbed a grassy gully, traversed the top and descended (in torrential rain). I think the nicest way on Beinn Damh is to follow the track round to the back and traverse it, but the start of the ascent is very steep and in the snow you were probably right to give it a miss. The Scottish weather has done it again: last Saturday there was 30cm of snow above Loch Earn and now it's all gone :(

Cheers - I'll have another crack at it with a bit less snow on it :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi Jax, just wanted to say, well done, fantastic adventures in one of my fav areas :D I'm not jealous at all... Recovering from severe attack of flu, I can only browse Walk Highlands and sigh, oh I wish I could be up there with you...

On a serious note. Glad you're not beating yourself up about turning back from BD. We did the traverse in summer time (up exactly the same slope) and I remember it was very steep, wet and slippery, unstable and scary! At some point we gave up the steep grass and moved to the rocks, scrambling up the sandstone - that was easier then balancing on wet grass! Once we reached the ridge it was easier, but I can hardly imagine attempting it in winter conditions (wet pants guaranteed :lol: ).

I'm probably just as stubborn as you, coking up crazy ideas and stupid routes, and Kevin is my brake and safety harness (him, the reasonable one in this marriage). But at the moment I'm so hill-starved that he won't be able to stop me from running up something steep when we get a chance :lol:
Cheers
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Jaxter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:15 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Hi Jax, just wanted to say, well done, fantastic adventures in one of my fav areas :D I'm not jealous at all... Recovering from severe attack of flu, I can only browse Walk Highlands and sigh, oh I wish I could be up there with you...

On a serious note. Glad you're not beating yourself up about turning back from BD. We did the traverse in summer time (up exactly the same slope) and I remember it was very steep, wet and slippery, unstable and scary! At some point we gave up the steep grass and moved to the rocks, scrambling up the sandstone - that was easier then balancing on wet grass! Once we reached the ridge it was easier, but I can hardly imagine attempting it in winter conditions (wet pants guaranteed :lol: ).

I'm probably just as stubborn as you, coking up crazy ideas and stupid routes, and Kevin is my brake and safety harness (him, the reasonable one in this marriage). But at the moment I'm so hill-starved that he won't be able to stop me from running up something steep when we get a chance :lol:
Cheers
BP

Cheers BP 8)
It's such an amazing place isn't it - so spectacular from every angle that summits aren't so important 8) Hope you've recovered and doing a sun dance for the weekend :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland