walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowy Beinn a'Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Snowy Beinn a'Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Postby thorburn7 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 06/01/2018

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1371m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been driving past this great mountain for years and finally got round to tackling it as the first footing of 2018.
Had been debating which mountain to choose with the other ramblers in the group and originally were going to head for Ben Lui. But I had already done those Munros and was shamelessly trying to persuade the guys to pick something so I could increase my Munro count.
With the promise of clear skies, a great view of Loch Linnhe / Loch Leven and the added bonus of the schoolhouse ridge my jedi mind tricks had succeeded.

Left Greenock at 5:30am and made the 2.5hr journey up to Ballachulish. Excitement was pulsing through us as we set off towards the fabled Schoolhouse ridge with the snow capped Beinn a'Bheithir looming above.

We gained a good deal of height before the sun rise.
Image1 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

From our vantage point on the ridge the view down to Ballachulish was great, the snow capped Mamores could be seen in the distance with the Pap of Glencoe evident as usual.
Image2 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Bidean nam Bian in the distance with a few rays of light from the rising sun reflecting off the summit.
Image3 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Group photo on the schoolhouse ridge just before the hands on scrambling begins. Conditions were pretty good with not alot of ice so managed to get up quite easily.
Image4 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Scaling the Schoolhouse ridge. This is great bit of scrambling and a probably much easier in winter than the likes of Curved Ridge or the Aonach Eagach.
Image27140304_10155661374543122_1478397546_o by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Photo of me on top of Sgorr Bhan (Munro top) with Sgorr Dhearg in the background. The ridge was looking immense from here.
Image5 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

After a quick chocolate bar and drink we made our way onto the ridge to start the ascent of the days first Munro.
Image8 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Summit selfie on top of my 122nd Munro.
Image10 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

From the summit of Sgorr Dhearg we got some spectacular views but best of all was that of the next target of the day - Sgorr Dhonuill
Image9 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Me posing on the descent from today's first Munro with number 2 in the background.
Image13 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

On the ascent of Sgorr Dhonuill looking back from where we came.
Image14 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Final destination in sight. Summit of Sgorr Dhonuill looking magnificent from here.
Image15 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Summit number 123. Sgorr Dhonuill. Great day out with this bunch.
Image18 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

View from the final summit looking north towards the Ballachulish bridge and Loch Linnhe.
Image16 by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

We descended down into Gleann a'Chaolais quite quick as we slid on our bums most of the way. This is the best reason for climbing mountains in winter! haha

Down through the forest and then back to the car by the road.

No outing in Glencoe is complete without visiting the Real Food Cafe for dinner :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

thorburn7
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3

Re: Snowy Beinn a'Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Great photos, and a grand day out. They're great hills these.

That ridge is one of the best winter ascents I've done, as it wasn't hard enough to be properly scary but felt like you were properly mountaineering :) Navigation of the curving ridge to the first Munro afterwards WAS proper scary though, thanks to a proper and complete whiteout, total compass trust and pacing. Found the trig point OK, but was even scarier leaving it on a bearing, not being able to see more than 10 feet ahead...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Snowy Beinn a'Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Stunning pics, one of my favourites these two. Was hoping to catch them on a good day a couple of weeks back but the weather wasn't playing ball. Very jealous :lol: :lol: :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland