walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lead and safety suggestions for 3 dogs?

Lead and safety suggestions for 3 dogs?

Postby NMackenzie350z » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Hello fellow dog owners.
Wanted to ask a few questions regarding taking multiple dogs on hill trails.

3 male dogs (all rescue dogs - very happy, no nervousness and 3 noses for troubles)
1x miniature pondenco 5 years old.
1x staffy 3 years old.
1x husky x american akita 1 year old.

Due to safety reason they do not get released off the lead unless it's a full open plain where I can cast my eyes afar to ensure no livestocks or animals are nearby or any possible poisoned carcasses or puddles so they can go bonkers to their heart's contents. (Bad experience a few years ago - 5 year old well loved deerhound died the next day due to a poisoned rabbit carcass at Rogie Falls, confirmed by autopsy at SAC vet service in Inverness.)

It's taken a few years to build up my confident to go back out there again as my heart longs for those days with my boys, my best memories was with my gorgeous gentle hearted deerhound. Rest in Peace Ozzyoscar.

Which lead would be best for all three in terms of lengths durability muti-use and general all round quality?
I have used for years, just a basic rope slip on lead as in IMO it's easy can use for multiple things (have helped with towing a car out too :lol: ) lost dogs and quick release in the event of dangerous situation, cliff, bogs etc. Just wanted to hear your views in case there is something else on the market I may not have heard of.

As many of you may have years of experiences on the hills with your 4 legged pals, I want to hear all suggestions of safety equipments and things to consider especially with multiple dogs.

My basic rules when going out is.
Carry water bladder for myself.
2L bottles of clean water for the boys. I use a poop bag as a bowl for the water to reduce carrying extra. They are used to this method.
Millions of poop bags.
Extra leads.
First aid kit for the boys. (Purple spray (for horses if I remember rightly?) to deter flies and cleans the area until seen by a vet), bandages.
Dog treats.
Whistle.

In the event that one of the dogs gets a lame leg they know I will carry them around my neck/shoulders until we head back to my car.

Would investing in a climbing harness for each dog be worth it? I am starting to explore in bouldering and would still to take the boys with me, however my experiences in the past with a harness on dogs is after a long period of time they tend to rub in the armpit area for the boys and this is unacceptable for them and since then have refrained from using them.

Any input to ensure a fantastic safe times with my boys would be greatly appreciated.
I stay nearby to Inverness so I like to walk in the Ullapool direction quite often but would like to explore the aviemore/cairngorms section more.

Infact you can see my old boy Image
Not long before he passed on, with a young Foxi (Pondenco) and a baby Marley (Staff)

The current tribeImage
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Re: Lead and safety suggestions for 3 dogs?

Postby Holly » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:54 pm

I use a ruffwear webharness for my dogs. Its good for assisting the dog over obstacles etc (if you have a look on their site it will explain further). I also have a palisades pack which is a dog rucksack which can be removed leaving a webharness on the dog.
Only my younger dog uses the pack and she carries their food and dog snacks. She carries the rubbish out too! Its not heavy and she has no problems with it. I go on multi day hikes and its very handy and gives her a job to do.
Despite many journeys with my dogs I have seldom had to carry water for them as they avail themselves of the many streams and lochan's I come across.
I do have a small first aid bag that can be utilised for my dogs should the unfortunate happen and I know my survival bag may not just be for me.
I have ruffwear waist belt leads although my older boy is so well behaved in all circumstances, he will heel at all times on command, I have him on lead out of respect in areas where there are livestock. I have used the harness however in earnest to assist him over some difficult scrambling terrain a couple of times. It works well and causes him no problems. Oh and both have always been comfortable with these harnesses. They have a lot of adjustment.
I hope this helps and that site will give lots of options.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby region_of_clouds » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:00 pm

No offence, but I hope I never meet you on the hill. I don't know why people buy these dangerous breeds.
region_of_clouds

Munros:87   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:10 pm

region_of_clouds wrote:No offence, but I hope I never meet you on the hill. I don't know why people buy these dangerous breeds.

I agree- no mention is made here of ensuring the safety and peace of mind of other members of the public.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Ben Nachie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:48 pm

region_of_clouds wrote:No offence, but I hope I never meet you on the hill. I don't know why people buy these dangerous breeds.

No offence, bit that's a bit harsh. It's not the breed that makes a dog dangerous or antisocial, it's the owner and the training (or lack of it) that the dog has.

Don't judge a book by its cover.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby region_of_clouds » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:

No offence, bit that's a bit harsh. It's not the breed that makes a dog dangerous or antisocial, it's the owner and the training (or lack of it) that the dog has.

Really? So why are some breeds banned altogether? It's because they have been bred for aggressiveness.

There are lots of attacks by Staffordshire Bull Terriers, in particular. It's about the most dangerous dog you can legally own, which is why they're so popular with drug dealers.

If it was only the owner at risk of attack, then I'd say knock yourself out. But unfortunately it's usually someone else who gets their face ripped off.
region_of_clouds

Postby Billbobaggins » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:35 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:

I agree- no mention is made here of ensuring the safety and peace of mind of other members of the public.

Given the nature of the OPs question regarding leads I’d say he was doing exactly that
Billbobaggins

Munros:85   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:48   

Postby Ben Nachie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:21 pm

region_of_clouds wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:

Really? So why are some breeds banned altogether? It's because they have been bred for aggressiveness.

There are lots of attacks by Staffordshire Bull Terriers, in particular. It's about the most dangerous dog you can legally own, which is why they're so popular with drug dealers.

If it was only the owner at risk of attack, then I'd say knock yourself out. But unfortunately it's usually someone else who gets their face ripped off.

OK, let me put it a different way.

I hope I don't meet you on the hill, you sound like an opinionated self-righteous fool.

See, not very nice, is it?

I'm sure you're a lovely chap/chapess, really.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby KatTai » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:28 pm

I would go for a harness, there are a lot out there to chose from so it is really a case of trying to find what suits your dog. It reduces pressure on the neck and means that if there aren't any sudden tugs then it isn't the neck that is affected. A Y-harness is probably the best for hiking as it doesn't restrict the movement of the front legs, and one that has a handle is useful for lifting the dog where needed. I'd avoid fleece harnesses, they are very good but when they get wet they stay wet for a long time and the ones I had for mine ended up stinking, neoprene is a much better option. I use Hurtta for mine, Ruffwear is a bit above my budget :lol: With leads I use a lightweight cani-cross lead which has reflective detail too. The length is down to preference and practicality - it needs to be long enough so that you can scramble up/down things without ending up pulling on the lead but not so long that it hangs loose all the time and gets tangled. Think the one I have is 5-6 feet. My lead is attached to a walking belt that leaves hands free. Handy for scrambling etc It is entirely possible to walk with three dogs on the walking belt with a bit of training so they don't make a big tangle. When I had three on the walking belt two usually walked out in front on a coupler and the other tended to walk with me. With Moss, my youngest dog who is now the only one that goes hillwalking, she has her regular harness plus a harness that a rucksack can be attached to so she can carry things as well. Handy for longer days and in the bird breeding season/adder risk areas etc when she is on lead or at heel so gives her a bit more of work out.

First Aid have a look at PAWZ dog boots, I have a set in my first aid kit and they are handy for any scrapes or cuts on paws. Not that I've never had to use them on the hills *touch wood*, paw damage has only occurred on the local walks and they are mainly used now to stop my oldie slipping on smooth surfaces.

Another useful bit of kit I use is a Dicky Bag, it is a neoprene bag for putting bagged dog poo in. There are a few other similar things on the market now I believe too.

Enjoy the hills with your dogs :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby region_of_clouds » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:35 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:OK, let me put it a different way.

I hope I don't meet you on the hill, you sound like an opinionated self-righteous fool.

No need to throw your toys out the pram. I'm making a substantive point about public safety, not having a go at the OP.
region_of_clouds

Postby Bobthecollie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Billbobaggins wrote:
bootsandpaddles wrote:

Given the nature of the OPs question regarding leads I’d say he was doing exactly that

I totally agree that the OP is doing exactly that. I've never read such a detailed post about organisation, safety etc. The attitudes of some folk on here just stink. If someone is so clearly trying to seek good advice then they should be applauded. Or is the case that the hills are for humans only? If you walk down the street in the middle of a town you will come across people who just should not own a dog but the OP is obviously not one of those people. Don't be so judgemental or self righteous. To the OP best of luck. It's nice to see someone actually taking responsibility.
Bobthecollie

Munros:63   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Ben Nachie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:43 pm

region_of_clouds wrote:

No need to throw your toys out the pram. I'm making a substantive point about public safety, not having a go at the OP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30902078
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby region_of_clouds » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Both Akitas and Staffies were bred as fighting dogs. Staffies are banned in several US and Canadian states, as well as Ireland, Denmark and Bermuda.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed-specific_legislation

To go back to my original point, I do not like meeting these dogs when I'm out, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Many owners think their dog would never harm anyone, and let them run around free, expecting everyone else to deal with it. I am making no comment on the OP in this regard. I appreciate they have come on asking for advice. But the question remains: why buy an aggressive breed when there are so many docile breeds around? And you shouldn't be surprised or offended when other people complain about it.
region_of_clouds

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 am

I understand that some people have an irrational fear of dogs the same as others might have a fear of flying.
Also I understand that some people have a dislike of dogs - that's fair enough (and I totally agree dogs should be kept under control) but some of the comments are verging on the ridiculous. :shock:

region_of_clouds wrote:

If public safety on the hills is what worries you I think dogs are the least of your concerns. Of all the accidents and deaths on the hills I have never heard of mad dogs being the problem. People fall while scrambling, get avalanched, get lost, get ill. etc. etc. etc. Has mountain rescue ever been called out because someone has been savaged by a Staffie? :roll:
Sunset tripper

Postby Ben Nachie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:43 am

region_of_clouds wrote:But the question remains: why buy an aggressive breed when there are so many docile breeds around?

I don't know, maybe they rescued it like the chap who writes the Backpackingbongos blog. You could ask them but I suspect they've gone from this forum never to return, and who could blame them?

As a responsible dog owner I shall sign off by giving due warning should you ever meet me, Jarvis & Lucy on the hill-

WARNING Cockers. May lick you to death!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion