walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lead and safety suggestions for 3 dogs?

Re: Lead and safety suggestions for 3 dogs?

Postby Billbobaggins » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 am

Ben Nachie wrote:
region_of_clouds wrote:But the question remains: why buy an aggressive breed when there are so many docile breeds around?

I don't know, maybe they rescued it like the chap who writes the Backpackingbongos blog. You could ask them but I suspect they've gone from this forum never to return, and who could blame them?

As a responsible dog owner I shall sign off by giving due warning should you ever meet me, Jarvis & Lucy on the hill-

WARNING Cockers. May lick you to death!

That’s hideous... a two headed dog!!! How dangerous must that be I hope you don’t take it on the hills!!!

Ps.... seriously though...how cute are those guys?!!
Billbobaggins

Munros:85   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:48   

Postby Bobthecollie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:49 am

Ben Nachie wrote:
region_of_clouds wrote:But the question remains: why buy an aggressive breed when there are so many docile breeds around?

I don't know, maybe they rescued it like the chap who writes the Backpackingbongos blog. You could ask them but I suspect they've gone from this forum never to return, and who could blame them?

As a responsible dog owner I shall sign off by giving due warning should you ever meet me, Jarvis & Lucy on the hill-

I was thinking the very same thing sadly. Some people come on here asking for advice, not seeking judgement. It's not just in relation to this particular post but I've seen it on other posts too, i.e. About whether or not a person might manage a certain walk when they're perhaps not as experienced as others... the snobbery and judgment is ridiculous. In future I may just refer to walkhighlands for route advice as right now I think I need a break from the forums.
Bobthecollie

Munros:63   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby NMackenzie350z » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:29 am

region_of_clouds wrote:No offence, but I hope I never meet you on the hill. I don't know why people buy these dangerous breeds.

There is a saying for what you've just said,

If you have nothing nice or constructive to say, then don't say it at all.

If you had taken the time to read my post properly then you would've noticed I said all of my dogs are rescues.
Marley the "dangerous breed" came from Inverness staffy rescues. He came to me after he was found abandoned on the streets at 5 weeks old. I have been attacked by staffies who were owned by people who have an addictive nature toward drugs. (to put it politely)
I decided to test a personal theory of mine.
All of my dogs regardless of breed who I have brought up myself have never shown an vicious attitude unless cornered and by this I had an encounter with a very drunk man late one night. He approached me ( I'm a female) and tried to pet my dogs, (not any of these dogs in the picture) I told him it's not a good idea since I didn't know him and to be quite honest I didn't want a drunk man anywhere near me or my dogs. He was not pleased and tried to have a go at me which my dogs did start growling and snapping on the lead. I kept the situation under control and told my dog "NO!" and just started running in the opposite direction away from this man. I understand a dog's right to protect me as much I would protect them with my life.

Anyway, I decided to give a young staffy a chance to live with me under the guidance of the staffy rescue. Suffice to say it was the best decision I ever made in my life, oh and my personal theory is true. He was fully raised by me and has the most wonderful nature, easy to train and is the world's laziest dog. He's actually scared of moths because they flutter funny on the kitchen floor. :lol:

I'd like to make your dreams come true and meet you on the hill, I really do. :clap:
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Postby NMackenzie350z » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:01 am

It seems a quick intro is needed from me.

I'm 25 year old deaf woman who has been with my partner for 5 years, (God knows how he puts up with me :lol: )
We have 5+ cars because we're petrolhead (if you haven't noticed my username)
We go to knockhill a lot and work on our cars in our garage. Some vintage some more modern. We teach ourselves how to work on our own cars.
Ie, I can change a tyre, solder, engine swap, brakes, service, change seats. One of my bucket list is to be on the front page of Fast cars mag. :D

I have 3 jobs.
My partner has 3 jobs. We work hard to make a good solid living for each other with a view to retire early in our 40/50s depending on various circumstances at that point of our lives.
We don't deal in drugs or take any drugs unless you include painkillers for that typical headache some of you have given me already thanks to this post.

We are of childfree stance - meaning we have no desire to reproduce as we wish to live our lives filled with wonderful memories and making the best of what life can offer us.
I have reached that age where I want to start exploring/research Scotland and learn about our beautiful homeland.
I have applied to go back to uni this year to do a degree in Environmental Science with a view to go on to do my masters in Mountain Development and Renewable Energy.
My dream job would be to work in the outdoors with my dog. I need a dog I can trust my life with to help me to ensure I don't miss something due to my lack of hearing. They are my unofficial guide dogs as they alert or display signs of interest to me at something. I had a job where I worked outdoors 8 hours a day all year round for several years so I have full experience of the delightful scottish weather. A staffy would be my first choice. Rhodesian ridgeback would be second. (Family member used to be a KC breeder of RR)

I have dreaded hair and many tattoos just because I like them on me!
I don't like drinking so I'm very happy with a cuppa!
I used to be a smoker but have quit around 2 years ago. I vape instead! (No opinion required please!)
I got rid of FB about 5 years ago due to posts much like these and it made me very depressed. Getting rid was the best thing I ever did, I would like it if this doesn't turn out to be a repeat experience of that.

Anyway, I hope that enlightens some of you in regards to jumping the gun based on my dogs breeds about the type of 'owner"/person I am.

Safe trails guys. *Rock out*
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Postby NMackenzie350z » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:05 am

Holly wrote:I use a ruffwear webharness for my dogs. Its good for assisting the dog over obstacles etc (if you have a look on their site it will explain further). I also have a palisades pack which is a dog rucksack which can be removed leaving a webharness on the dog.
Only my younger dog uses the pack and she carries their food and dog snacks. She carries the rubbish out too! Its not heavy and she has no problems with it. I go on multi day hikes and its very handy and gives her a job to do.
Despite many journeys with my dogs I have seldom had to carry water for them as they avail themselves of the many streams and lochan's I come across.
I do have a small first aid bag that can be utilised for my dogs should the unfortunate happen and I know my survival bag may not just be for me.
I have ruffwear waist belt leads although my older boy is so well behaved in all circumstances, he will heel at all times on command, I have him on lead out of respect in areas where there are livestock. I have used the harness however in earnest to assist him over some difficult scrambling terrain a couple of times. It works well and causes him no problems. Oh and both have always been comfortable with these harnesses. They have a lot of adjustment.
I hope this helps and that site will give lots of options.

Thank you Holly for your lovely helpful suggestion, I shall look on their website and look into these harrness you've suggested! :)
I have heard about the dog backpacks but a few people have said it can cause issues if you pack an uneven load in it can tip over on one side of the dog. Does yours have any issues with that?
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Postby NMackenzie350z » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:10 am

region_of_clouds wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:OK, let me put it a different way.

I hope I don't meet you on the hill, you sound like an opinionated self-righteous fool.

See, not very nice, is it?

I'm sure you're a lovely chap/chapess, really.

No need to throw your toys out the pram. I'm making a substantive point about public safety, not having a go at the OP.

Not having a go at the OP?

Would you like to double check the first comment you wrote? Lose the two face, it doesn't suit you.
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Postby NMackenzie350z » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:14 am

KatTai wrote:I would go for a harness, there are a lot out there to chose from so it is really a case of trying to find what suits your dog. It reduces pressure on the neck and means that if there aren't any sudden tugs then it isn't the neck that is affected. A Y-harness is probably the best for hiking as it doesn't restrict the movement of the front legs, and one that has a handle is useful for lifting the dog where needed. I'd avoid fleece harnesses, they are very good but when they get wet they stay wet for a long time and the ones I had for mine ended up stinking, neoprene is a much better option. I use Hurtta for mine, Ruffwear is a bit above my budget :lol: With leads I use a lightweight cani-cross lead which has reflective detail too. The length is down to preference and practicality - it needs to be long enough so that you can scramble up/down things without ending up pulling on the lead but not so long that it hangs loose all the time and gets tangled. Think the one I have is 5-6 feet. My lead is attached to a walking belt that leaves hands free. Handy for scrambling etc It is entirely possible to walk with three dogs on the walking belt with a bit of training so they don't make a big tangle. When I had three on the walking belt two usually walked out in front on a coupler and the other tended to walk with me. With Moss, my youngest dog who is now the only one that goes hillwalking, she has her regular harness plus a harness that a rucksack can be attached to so she can carry things as well. Handy for longer days and in the bird breeding season/adder risk areas etc when she is on lead or at heel so gives her a bit more of work out.

First Aid have a look at PAWZ dog boots, I have a set in my first aid kit and they are handy for any scrapes or cuts on paws. Not that I've never had to use them on the hills *touch wood*, paw damage has only occurred on the local walks and they are mainly used now to stop my oldie slipping on smooth surfaces.

Another useful bit of kit I use is a Dicky Bag, it is a neoprene bag for putting bagged dog poo in. There are a few other similar things on the market now I believe too.

Enjoy the hills with your dogs :D

Hi KaiTai , thank you for taking the time to write a really helpful post, you've put in a few things I didn't know about and raised a point about the dog boots, a very good point to think about actually! Ha as for the dicky bag that is super handy! Usually I put them on my carabiner on the back of my backpack but if i jump around too much I've had a few burst on me! Can't resist a natural aroma :lol:
Thank you very much KaiTai, I'll take a look at the products you've suggested! I hope you enjoy the hills this year, safe trails! :D
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Postby NMackenzie350z » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 am

region_of_clouds wrote:Both Akitas and Staffies were bred as fighting dogs. Staffies are banned in several US and Canadian states, as well as Ireland, Denmark and Bermuda.

To go back to my original point, I do not like meeting these dogs when I'm out, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Many owners think their dog would never harm anyone, and let them run around free, expecting everyone else to deal with it. I am making no comment on the OP in this regard. I appreciate they have come on asking for advice. But the question remains: why buy an aggressive breed when there are so many docile breeds around? And you shouldn't be surprised or offended when other people complain about it.

Aggresive breeds?

I worked as a postie. Let me give an example of some the nasty dogs I've met during my time as a posite.
1-I actually got bitten in the crotch by a black lab. They terrify me.
2-A black lab grazed my shoulder as it jumped up to do something around my face area but teeth caught on my shoulder.
2- dachshund are the nastiest nipping little twits.
3- jack russell. Fast buggers. Likes the taste of ankles.
4-Those pomeranian things. Yeeesh! Proper letterbox nippers.

Look, I'm sorry for the sharp comments I've made to you. I've just come on here to be blasted with all these comments about my dogs and it truly truly infuriates me that yourselves have just jumped the gun about my lovely boys. It's very true you don't know my boys but I do. Marley has the heart of winnie the pooh, cheesy as it sounds I'm not saying this for the show or other people's sake. I'm sorry for the comments and I hope I didn't upset you. Your comments really did hurt me and I lashed out with my words. My dogs bonds with me means more than the world and it saddens me to see other people dogs purely for their breed type or whatever, a dog's heart should never be bashed or judged, they need love and happiness. I hope you meet a staffy that shows their heart to you.
If you would like the chance I would be happy to buy you a coffee in Inverness as an apology and bring marley along alone for you to meet him in a public place, give me and marley a chance to show you :( . We're not all bad.
Message me if you wish to take me up on that offer, you're more than welcome.

I wish you all the best.
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Postby NMackenzie350z » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 am

Ben Nachie wrote:

Thank you for being an understanding person. I did very nearly leave this place, but I really want to try and help people to be a little bit open minded, despite some of my harsh words which I have apologised for.

I hope to meet you one day! My boys are friendly so you're welcome to pop on over if you spot me, if not a nice cheery wave will suffice! :)
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Postby NMackenzie350z » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 am

No offence, but I hope I never meet you on the hill. I don't know why people buy these dangerous breeds.

I agree- no mention is made here of ensuring the safety and peace of mind of other members of the public.[/quote]

Given the nature of the OPs question regarding leads I’d say he was doing exactly that[/quote]

I totally agree that the OP is doing exactly that. I've never read such a detailed post about organisation, safety etc. The attitudes of some folk on here just stink. If someone is so clearly trying to seek good advice then they should be applauded. Or is the case that the hills are for humans only? If you walk down the street in the middle of a town you will come across people who just should not own a dog but the OP is obviously not one of those people. Don't be so judgemental or self righteous. To the OP best of luck. It's nice to see someone actually taking responsibility.[/quote]

Hello Billbobaggins, Thank you for being very understanding, I always take full responsibility of my dogs. I appreciate your input and I am sorry for the harsh words I have posted on here toward others, I admit I got hot headed very quickly about the comments regarding my boys as it was the last thing I expected from a walking forum. Thank you for the luck, I'll be sure to use it wisely.

Thank you.
NMackenzie350z
Hill Bagger

Postby Holly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 am

I had to come back on to say I am really really pleased you didn't leave the site after that couple of very ignorant and negative comments. Treat them with the contempt they deserve.

I saw a person with bonnie pictures of their dogs who has had probably struggled coping with the death of a dear pet and was on a site like this ASKING for ADVICE as it said in your title Lead and SAFETY suggestions for your dogs. I am not sure how anyone can come on a retort with what appear to be personal views as they obviously have no knowledge of dogs except what has been read in the tabloid press.

I am old enough to remember that same news years ago spouted forth about the 'dangerous' breed which was the German Shephard or Alsation. THAT by the way is the breed that our renowned and much respected mountaineer Hamish Mackinnes started off SARDA with. Wonder what these judgemental individuals would think of that.

I am not really into reading tabloid stuff but the attached link will provide evidence of how, like Hamish MacInnes's dogs, they can be lifesavers, despite the breed.
http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2016-09-08/giving-staffies-a-chance-the-rescue-dogs-turned-policing-heroes/

So to the poster ,, your pics of your dogs are lovely and I DO hope to meet you someday on the hills with my two dogs. :o
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Holly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:27 am

Oh you asked me about the rucksack tipping if its uneven and I got a bit well , distracted!!!!

The short answer is yes when I first tried it. That was me not packing it properly and I it would quickly slide to one side. Easily adjusted and after realising this I became better skilled at making sure I got it as evenly as possible. She doesn't carry a lot tbh but she sure saves me a few kilos on my pack when doing long distances. I would add that it , like most packs are not waterproof. I had put some of my snacks in the bag that didn't do well after Storm had enjoyed tramping through boggy ground and small streams. The bottom of the pack got soaked as did the contents. So, dry bags for dog packs too are a must!

My new dog is very energetic and I think it calms her and she is more focused but its all an individual thing and not suit everyone.

I went for the pallisades pack because I can remove it but she still has the webmaster harness on. My last trip to Knoydart allowed her to carry the pack in. Could then leave the pack in the tent and still have the harness to go do the Munros.
Hope this helps :-)
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Mojocat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:29 pm

My thoughts on this for what they are worth. I usually find that people who take dogs on the hills are aware of their responsibilities towards other walkers, livestock and wildlife. I cannot recall seeing many of the "hard bloke with his hard dog" types even on the massively popular walks like Pen Y Fan in the Brecon Beacons, or maybe I am just lucky. Also can we get beyond the obligatory self-righteous finger wagging that seems to plague every internet discussion. I am always interested to know what gear other people use, having tried half a dozen kinds of dog harness at all different prices I am currently using one that cost less than a fiver from a discount pet store. It suits my little cross breed dog, doesn't rub behind the front legs, doesn't restrict movement, the chest panel is mesh so it is quick drying and not too hot and she just wears it, she isn't always trying to escape from it. It even comes in a fetching shade of pink so everyone knows she's a girl! I miss having a handle on the harness though when I have to pick her up and she is all muddy. Dogs come in so many shapes and sizes of course that you really need to find what works for your dog and not judge by brand alone. Lead wise I use a Flexi extendable lead, easily adjustable, I just attach it to my daypack if I need to use my hands. Not very practical with three dogs though I expect they would get tangled up.
Mojocat
Hill Bagger

Postby DonnyW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Im guilty m’lud

Yup I used to deal in drugs .. (well not quite .. I worked in the prescription side of a chemist shop many years ago. ) :wink:

I also spent a couple of years terrorising the local inhabitants of the Galloway Hills with my ferocious Staffordshire Bull Terrier. (This photo is me with my rescued Staffie) :shock:

She was purple when I took her under my wing. She had been dyed. I presume badly treated as she was a bag of nerves ... then dumped. I think I know who it was..and no..it was not a drug addict. In fact ... if I am correct .. it was a reasonably young family in every other aspect ? I didn’t investigate as I took the view it not my place .. I did what I thought was best and gave her a home

For all her past ..she would not harm a fly .. (unless it was another dog ..but thats another story)

I put her in the doghouse the night my home was broken into. She slept in the kitchen..the burglars broke in through the kitchen..and my dog welcomed them. Not a bark or a bite ..not even a growl or sniff . She wagged her tail as they gave her dog treats I had left near her basket. So much for Staffies being ferocious. I had to do the dog’s job and defend the house ..they are absolutely useless guard dogs. :roll:

They are often referred to as nanny dogs .. due to their tolerance of young kids...and burglars

However like some people who will attack others without provocation..(Some good examples of that are in this thread) Some dogs of any breed will .. without provocation. I believe its lack of training with dogs. Its anyone’s guess why some people do it ?

But that is not why I decided to add to this thread. The reason I am posting is to say my staffie broke a toe in the hills. The claw didn’t come clean off ..but it was broken and bleeding. The dog was limping badly so I carried her four miles off the hill.

There was no way she was going to sit round my neck to be carried. She squirmed as soon as I tried. I emptied my rucksack ..and plopped her into it. She jumped out as soon as I tried to lift it. She allowed me to carry her the normal way.. one arm supporting her chest ..one arm supporting her rear. That was very tiring on both of us ..and it took forever. 100m or so..stop rest..repeat. Four miles is a long way carrying a dog.

I can understand why she didn’t want round my neck. The dog was in pain and did not want to be put in a position that she was not used to. She wasn’t aggressive about it..she just squirmed or jumped until she got free.

With hindsight a dog sock would have solved my problem that day. Im mentioning this in case others think it is easy to carry a living dog round their neck .. In my case ..it was not.

I don’t think its uncomfortable for the dog..so with training its a good idea. I may be wrong though and other dogs don’t mind being carried that way ..Im no expert..only passing on my own experience

If we met in the hills NMack .. Im sure we would swap pleasant smiles. I have no issues with dogs.. nor with the majority of people :D
DonnyW

Postby Meatball » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 am

'mon the dogs!

After 16 years of dealing with neds with dogs I've still to meet a bad Staffie!
They're also know as the nanny dog!

Enjoy the hills with your dogs! I'd happily meet you on the Hills!

I've no idea re the leads and harness btw, sorry.

I'd ignore the dog haters....I'll leave it politely at that!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion