walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not quite Bob Graham Round.

Not quite Bob Graham Round.

Postby Slogger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brandreth, Dale Head, Great Gable, Green Gable, Grey Knotts, Hindscarth, Kirk Fell, Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Robinson, Scoat Fell, Steeple, Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Brandreth, Dale Head, Great Gable, Green Gable, Hindscarth, Kirk Fell, Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Robinson, Scoat Fell, Yewbarrow

Date walked: 12/07/2010

Time taken: 22

Distance: 60 km

Ascent: 3350m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Bob Graham Round is a 72 mile challenge route for supported Fell Runners, involving 27,000ft of ascent and descent and traversing a circular route over the 42 highest Lakeland Peaks. It starts and finishes at the 'Moot Hall' in Keswick.
My aim was to walk as much of the route as possible in a single continuous effort, in an anti clockwise direction, thus known as a Graham Bob.
Water was going to be a problem as the route follows high ground and ridges with very little opportunity to refill from streams.
I left the Moot Hall at 1630hrs on Sunday continuing on through the night and arrived back there at 1430hrs on Sunday.
Moot Hall 1630.
Summits of:-
Robinson 1905
Hindscarth 1930
Dale Head 2000
Honister Pass 2025
Grey Knotts 2111
Brandreth 2130
Green Gable 2200
Great Gable2224
Kirkfell 2350
Pillar 0140
Steeple 0300
Red Pike 0410
Yewbarrow 0510

It was cold earlier on during the night but warmed up after the wind dropped, it remained dry, but with extensive cloud cover, even so I did not switched on my head torch until after midnight.
I have extensive experience of the Lakes and didnt need a map at all (although I took one of course). Dehydration certainly took it toll as the 1.5 litres I set off with was used up by the time I reached Steeple. Cramping up badly on the hideous direct descent of Yewbarrow, I decided to finish the route in Wasdale and walk back to Keswick via Sty Head, Seathwaite, Grange and the path alongside Derwent Water. I arrived back at the Moot Hall at 1430hrs Sunday after 12 BG tops, plus Little Scoat Fell and Scoat Fell itself, 12,000ft of ascent and descent and 36 miles in a total of 22 hours.
Ready for that 5 day C2C attempts now?
Dave.
P7120375.JPG
Yewbarrow. The last top.
P7120370.JPG
Pillar. The 10th Top.
P7110366.JPG
Green Gable The 7th Top.
P7110360.JPG
Dale Head. The 3rd Top.
Last edited by Slogger on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Not quite Bob Graham Round.

Postby gaffr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm

That looks like a good nights work...time even to take images :) The first sunday in the report must be a Saturday :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Well done, you really are a slogger :D don't think I will copy you
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94

Postby Slogger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:17 pm

gaffr wrote:That looks like a good nights work...time even to take images :) The first sunday in the report must be a Saturday :)

No that second Sunday should be Monday, eagle eyes. :D
I carried a bivvy bag and sleeping bag with the thought that I may sleep a bit during Monday then carry on, but by Yewbarrow I was well knacked and my legs told me they wouldn't be happy about another climb, especially up Scafell. The relaxed pace back from Sty Head to Keswick was a treat, even had time for a few cups of tea and a bowl of hot soup at a cafe in Grange.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:13 am

Some trek, the BG round. The bit you did seems more than enough... I think you need to be superhuman to do the whole thing in 24 hours. Much like the Ramsay Round (round Glen Nevis + some extra).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Slogger » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 pm

malky_c wrote:Some trek, the BG round. The bit you did seems more than enough... I think you need to be superhuman to do the whole thing in 24 hours. Much like the Ramsay Round (round Glen Nevis + some extra).

Yes but for a 24 hour round thats the abode of Fell Runners. Fell and Road running is my background along with the walking etc. I havent run for 2.5 years due to a bad groin strain but still hope to return to it at some point, so when I walk or backpack now I try to really go for it, in fact Ive probably always done that. It does get harder and requires more effort the older you get and after 50 you really mustn't ease off as it's increasingly hard to get your lost fitness back. I draw my state pension next year but have no intention of slowing down or taking it easy.
The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge is something I have attempted in the past, but failed miserably at the 33 mile point. Its a Fell Runners challenge for the over 50s. It is 48 miles, 32 tops, 19,000 feet of ascent and descent from Pooley Bridge to Greendale Bridge in Wasdale. Time limits for success are 12 hrs for 50 to 60yrs, 18 hours for 60 to 65yrs and 24hrs for over 65yrs. So next year I get 24 hours which may be okay, only having 12hrs last time.
Onwards and upwards.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:02 am

Mad! As an 'atter! :lol: What I really, really want to know is: why on earth do people set off on these things in the evening and start off walking all night? If you want to give up after 16 hours or so, isn't it better to have done 16 hours in daylight?

I notice people are doing that nowadays with the Lyke Wake - my friend Isobel and I set off around 0600 and walked solely in daylight - seems far more sensible! Was still a boring walk though :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Slogger » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:25 am

The reason on this occasion I set off at 4.30pm was that I was going with the possibility in mind of doing the whole route and considered that it may be possible to do so in around 48 to 50 hours. I am used to doing non stoppers of up tp 90 miles, walking all day, over night and the next day without rest stops, apart from attending to the feet.
Anyway that would have meant two night walks and two and a bit full daylight walking.
Bob Graham fell running contenders usually set off around midnight, meaning their aim is to get round by the following midnight. This is a logistical decision, so that the most straightforward sections with the easier ground is traversed during the hours of darkness, leaving the hardest terrain with the most difficult route finding for daylight hours.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby Hantswalker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:38 am

Fantastic walk .
Hantswalker
Hill Bagger

Munros:267   Corbetts:12
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland